Old 14 January 2018, 12:55   #1

Town: Bishopton, Renfrewshire
Make: Excel SD365
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp Mariner
Would an auxiliary engine work for me?

Hi all

I have an Excel 3.65m SIB which I push along with a 20hp Mercury 4-stroke. The maximum transom weight is 60kg, and the engine weighs 52kg.

One of next year's adventures is going to be a trip out to Ailsa Craig in the Firth of Clyde. To do that I'm going to need an auxiliary outboard.

I want something around 3 or 4hp, and has to be 4-stroke for fuel compatibility.

I think there's room to clamp an auxiliary at the side of the main engine, but the problem is that all these engines weigh obviously more than 8kg, so will exceed my maximum transom weight if installed there.

I'm quite happy to store an auxiliary engine inside the boat until I need it and then deploy it over the transom, but I don't fancy wrestling 52 kg of engine into the SIB in the middle of the sea should I get a mechanical.

So how to get around the tramsom weight issue?

All ideas gratefully accepted.

Nick

Old 14 January 2018, 13:32   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Get a 3hp 2 stroke and carry some oil to mix if you need more than is in the engines integral tank the little yam malta and merc or mariners 3.3 are tiny and ideal to sit beside a main on a
small boat
Still going to be over transoms rating but for occasional use should be fine

Old 14 January 2018, 14:20   #3

Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon
Engine: 2 stroke
If your fuel is the cause of the issue then running the aux on same fuel prob a,y won’t help, and aux with integral tank and then 2mix is fine, run the aux every now and then to keep the fuel fresh and motor lubed.

8kg isn’t a lot even for a 2 stroke.....

8kg gets you this Yamaha M-18 Electric Drive Outboard but battery will weight much much more....
Old 14 January 2018, 15:55   #4

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
If you go on the Craig make sure you have a good hood, the amount of birds there is unreal, as soon as we went near it up they went wanting a feed. Needless to say they left their mark . It was only really bad on the outside of It, the main land side seemed okay and looks easy to beach there.

One thing, there is a sign on it saying private only or no anauthoried access or words to that effect on the railway line/boat launch so not sure how/who gives permission if required to go ashore. One of the other lads may know what the deal is and best place to go ashore. They didn't have a cafe so we just went round it and up to lamlash

A 2 stroke 3.3hp with integral tank is probably worth a shout. If anything happens you will have enough fuel to get to one of the marinas on the coast or a harbour at least.

Where are you thinking of leaving from?

Lamlash is worth a visit if you are leaving from largs as it will split the journey up for you. I would probably leave from troon in a sib and if amazing day pop up to lamlash for dinner.
Old 14 January 2018, 16:11   #5
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
I'm quite happy to store an auxiliary engine inside the boat until I need it and then deploy it over the transom, but I don't fancy wrestling 52 kg of engine into the SIB in the middle of the sea should I get a mechanical.
But you wouldn't be - you'd be loosening up the main and sliding it to one side before deploying the Aux. As you wouldn't be planing with the associated forces, the few extra kgs isn't gonna matter.

FYI, I've gone from Alisa Craig to Girvan with only one engine and I didn't raise a sweat - they have a cracking new Shannon in there that is itching for a run out to the Craig...
Old 14 January 2018, 16:17   #6

Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon
Engine: 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
A 2 stroke 3.3hp with integral tank is probably worth a shout. If anything happens you will have enough fuel to get to one of the marinas on the coast or a harbour at least.
Dependant how concerned about transome load but not seen many under 11kg and that was 2hp yam
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263408491781

On a sib would you fix the aux static and use main as rudder or lift main and use aux for everything?
Old 14 January 2018, 16:48   #7

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Personally I wouldn't care about the transom load if I was in that bit of water. Fire up the 3.3 and come home.
Old 14 January 2018, 17:05   #8

Cheers all. Definitely leaving from Girvan as have family in Maybole, required for childcare.

As to the birds... Might buy one of these, only a few quid: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292138070555
Old 14 January 2018, 17:06   #9

And willk, I've seen that boat and I'm entirely confident of its ability.
Old 14 January 2018, 17:13   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Well others have covered some of your issues re aux. Just interested where you are going to launch from and also sea state can be greatly different at the Craig as from Girvan. If I can help you please contact.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote