Old 19 January 2018, 19:14   #21

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Thanks guys, this has all been really useful. I'll sign on to the round Arran trip and hope I can make it. Heading to Clyde Outboards tomorrow morning to see what they've got in the way of auxiliaries. Nick
Old 19 January 2018, 19:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Hi nick HH here I am working with the gurnard on the 2018 sib outing will post more information soon about trip if you would like to come out more often I’am sure we could meet up for weekend trips before you feel you could manage on your own don’t mean to insulate you but don’t know how much experience you have on your own
Thanks Haggis. For someone with only a year's experience I think I'm doing alright, but more long distance trips are definitely needed.

I'll subscribe to the outing thread and hope to make it. Thanks for the help.
Old 21 January 2018, 17:33   #23

After all that, Clyde Outboards have a 3.3 2-stroke that fits the bill, so am going to go with that - narrow cowling means it shouldn't interfere too much with the main engine if I need to deploy it.

Next, I need to peel back one of the spray flaps to make room to install the aux engine.

Two questions:
ONE: Is there some magic solvent I could use to dissolve the glue here and allow me to peel it back without damaging the tubes?

TWO: Anyone have any ideas of to temporarily fix the flap back to the transom when the aux isn't deployed? I'm thinking heavy duty velcro.

Here's a couple of pics to show the pertinent area.

Thanks

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1210085.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	123188   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1210083.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	123189  
Old 21 January 2018, 18:54   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Why not fit an outboard bracket and set the engine back
Old 21 January 2018, 19:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Why not fit an outboard bracket and set the engine back
Look like about £60 minimum on eBay?
Old 21 January 2018, 19:20   #26

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Nick ..

I just peeled the flap back ..pulling with pliers and the heat from a hairdryer. Its good glue..but it did give without tearing the PVC. A couple of small holes..roll it up and secured with cable tie. I have never seen the need to put it back in place as I don’t get water thrown up. However its there should I want to glue it back. A small Ali plate either side of the transom to protect it from the thumbscrews etc .. and job was done.

Make sure you secure the AUX well. If its choppy it tends to bounce..so I tie it well down with two ropes. I don’t want it to bounce on the tube and have the prop rub through when its rough.

The wee 3.3 two strokes are great ..very easy to service and as long as you add oil..last forever. Carry a spare shear pin for the prop..they break easy.(the shear pin..not the prop..breaks easy)

Hope that helps.
Old 21 January 2018, 19:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Nick ..

I just peeled the flap back ..pulling with pliers and the heat from a hairdryer. Its good glue..but it did give without tearing the PVC. A couple of small holes..roll it up and secured with cable tie. I have never seen the need to put it back in place as I don’t get water thrown up. However its there should I want to glue it back. A small Ali plate either side of the transom to protect it from the thumbscrews etc .. and job was done.

Make sure you secure the AUX well. If its choppy it tends to bounce..so I tie it well down with two ropes. I don’t want it to bounce on the tube and have the prop rub through when its rough.

The wee 3.3 two strokes are great ..very easy to service and as long as you add oil..last forever. Carry a spare shear pin for the prop..they break easy.

Hope that helps.
Really useful Gurnard cheers. Unfortunately I'm going to be 5kg over the transom weight limit if I put both engines on there at once so the aux will stay in the boat until it's needed.
Old 21 January 2018, 19:51   #28

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Like the fenders gurnard
Old 22 January 2018, 07:43   #29

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
Really useful Gurnard cheers. Unfortunately I'm going to be 5kg over the transom weight limit if I put both engines on there at once so the aux will stay in the boat until it's needed.
personally i wouldn't spoil the boat by peeling back the web it's also there for added strength to the transom. i would also fit a bracket so you can steer easier with the main engine in place. in my experience fitting the Aux when the proverbial hits the fan is a pain and risk of losing the outboard also the room it takes up and bouncing about in the boat, the 5 kg wouldn't matter to me i would just fit a barrel screw from floor to transom to beef up a bit only my opinion
Old 22 January 2018, 17:32   #30

Town: Yorkshire
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
I would have thought 5kg wouldn't cause a problem given the fact the transom is rated for 60 kg and if the SIB is towed on a trailer the leg of the (potential 60kg)engine would be extended away from the transom which I would imagine would put a greater additional stress on it when bouncing over pot holes on the roads than an extra 5kg.....totally agree with jeffstevens wouldn't want aux bouncing inside the boat anyway, but if problem in the chop wouldn't fancy trying to mount engine onto the transom....it has surprised me how awkward a few kilos can be when you don't have a steady platform.
Old 22 January 2018, 22:46   #31

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
Look like about £60 minimum on eBay?
This sort?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/auxiliary...-/222806836332
Old 23 January 2018, 07:10   #32

Would putting the AUX outboard on a mounting bracket not help the additional weight of the AUX ... act like a lever and apply even more force to the transom ?

On a previous boat I had an AUX bracket .. exactly like the one HDAV has linked too.

Personally .. I would never use one again. The bracket rattled and bounced like a bag of spanners even in light chop. I was always afraid it was going to break and loose the OB overboard. A friend also had one ..and when he lost his OB in a chop.. I removed mine and threw it in the bin.

For info based on personal experience only .. I doubt the PVC web I rolled up to allow room for the AUX adds much strength ? Mine is a 2005 year old boat and the web was rolled back many years ago. It has travelled thousands of miles in seas of all conditions .. with the AUX fitted on transom.

I suspect the transom will still be solid when the PVC tubes eventually rot with UV light. Time might prove me wrong though.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:46   #33

I would however be like the others and attach the AUX to the boat instead of keeping it onboard.

While I appreciate the weight limit is 5KG over the boats stated OB weight..its worth remembering .. many people pull toys or waterski off their transoms.

That must be many times more that 5Kg extra stress ?

However.. that is only my thoughts ..and I can be wrong
Old 23 January 2018, 18:50   #34

RIBase
Agree those brackets are crap, I would go for a fixed one if you think about the moments of force with the engine up acting on the transom it will be greatly reduced due to the balance and with it tied down to stop bounce. OMO
Old 28 January 2018, 17:57   #35

Et voila!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180128_182258289.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	118.7 KB