Old 30 June 2010, 22:21   #1

Town: newtownabbey
Length: no boat
wondering

Have recently purchased a seapro 4.7 inflatable and a 30hp four stroke evinrude.Have had a few passages and was wondering how to mount a sounder and GPS on tiller steered boats .Use the boat mostly for wreckdiving and fishing.cheers

Mark mckee
Old 30 June 2010, 23:20   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Somewhere on this site there are pictures of electronics built into/under a bench seat.

I think the RNLI D-classes now have electronics upfront under the "bow dodger" but others will be able to provide more info.

I've also seen a nice solution (not on here) which used a large plastic tool box/chest that had the electronics mounted on it with a battery inside etc, box was held on deck with some webbing and it was all completely removable in a minute or so. He still had space for a few tools and bits and pieces inside it.
Old 01 July 2010, 14:22   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I used to have a small waterproof box (well, it was when I started) on the transom with a handheld GPS mounted to the top. The box contained a small terminal strip and fuse block, and fed a couple of cigarette lighter plugs in the bottom (so as not to catch and hold water) for power take off for accessories.

Not ideal; to see where you were heading to meant turning around and looking down. If I had to do it again, I'd build a small "console" on the opposite side of where I sat and mount stuff there.

jky