Old 18 October 2015, 14:36   #1

Why a sib and trailer? Buy a RIB?

I have been meaning to ask this for a while as you see people suggesting to trailer sibs quite often.

Genuinely curious why people buy a sib only to put a trailer under it?

You have removed surely the number one reason to buy a sib? Storage and ease of launch out your car boot.

If you have a wish to buy a sib and trailer then why not just buy a RIB in first place?
Old 18 October 2015, 14:58   #2

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
SIB trailered?

When we had SIBs the reason we trailered them was; -
  • Very little storage space once home - SIB folded up for storage
  • Ours were set up like a sports boat - remotes, across tube steering, screen, etc. - time consuming building it up (Avon S400 with 25hp)
  • mainly used only when on holiday - so once built up it would stay on trailer for a few days at a time
  • I made the road trailer so it would fold - this allowed us to take the SIB/trailer in the caravan, once there it was all built up
  • The area we went boating was more suited to SIBs due to large expanses of shallow water
Hope that helps
Old 18 October 2015, 15:31   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post

If you have a wish to buy a sib and trailer then why not just buy a RIB in first place?
Cost and ease of manoeuvre on land?
Old 18 October 2015, 15:48   #4

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i have changed from a 3.2 sib to an Avon sr4 and to be honest its a move for the better ,I was trailering our sib, hand launch trailer, outboard and all the gubbins in a smallish camping box trailer and I just thought if i bought a small rib (that is much more comfortable in a bit of chop ) I could use the rib as a trailer and also carry all my camping gear in it I'm towing something any way . the only downside I can see is I cannot hand launch of a beach ect but I never did with the sib so for me there is no question
Old 18 October 2015, 16:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Cost and ease of manoeuvre on land?
You can buy an sr4, for example, for probably less than a honwave and 20hp engine.

Ease of manouver? They are both going to be on similar size trailers so moving them is going to be near as damn makes no difference.

Once off the trailer, if it ever comes off, a Sib would be easier of course. You still have a trailer to store though that is probably the same as the one that would be under an sr4 in first place?

I realise there will be people who can not have a RIB due to various reasons but it seems a lot of threads suggest to put a Sib on a trailer rather than lug the engine about, there is one about it right now Infact. Why bother with a Sib at all then? I just can't understand why you would do that if buying it all to begin with.

I wonder how many buy a Sib then a while later say, sod this and put it on a trailer to save lugging the engine about.......
Old 18 October 2015, 16:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
When we had SIBs the reason we trailered them was; -
  • Very little storage space once home - SIB folded up for storage
  • Ours were set up like a sports boat - remotes, across tube steering, screen, etc. - time consuming building it up (Avon S400 with 25hp)
  • mainly used only when on holiday - so once built up it would stay on trailer for a few days at a time
  • I made the road trailer so it would fold - this allowed us to take the SIB/trailer in the caravan, once there it was all built up
  • The area we went boating was more suited to SIBs due to large expanses of shallow water
Hope that helps
Thanks for that....couple of things then if I may.

Mainly used for holiday- perhaps a better argument to just buy something easier to launch?. I.e maybe a honwave 3.8 and a 15hp 2 stroke. Easy to launch from the car and saves effectively re-rigging a boat to go out. Also more likely to use it as it wouldn't need to be a faff to go anywhere?

Sib in shallow water I can somewhat understand, but you have a heavy engine so why not a 3.8 out the boot as it will go into shallower water if that is your bag?

Based on what you have said, for me, perhaps you had the wrong combo for your needs?
Old 18 October 2015, 16:32   #7

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Like I said at the beginning -when we had SIBs in the 70s and 80s to the best of my knowledge honwaves had not even been invented then.

We used ours from Cleethorpes hence shallow water until you got well out and/or tide came fully in. The Avon sports boats were the best option for our requirements (performance/storage) at the time and allowed me to tow the caravan and still take the SIB with steering instead of tiller.
When circumstances allowed we did move onto SR4 with a fifty on the back (hours of cheap fun).

At the time, like I said earlier, the SIB gave the best compromise because storage was the other problem.

I would agree with you if it is like for like and storage is not a problem then the option would be RIB every time.
Old 18 October 2015, 16:36   #8

I'm sorry, I don't realise you were talking 30 years ago...doh

Of course I am talking about right now and why people do it.
Old 18 October 2015, 17:43   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
You can buy an sr4, for example, for probably less than a honwave and 20hp engine.

Ease of manouver? They are both going to be on similar size trailers so moving them is going to be near as damn makes no difference.

Once off the trailer, if it ever comes off, a Sib would be easier of course. You still have a trailer to store though that is probably the same as the one that would be under an sr4 in first place?

I realise there will be people who can not have a RIB due to various reasons but it seems a lot of threads suggest to put a Sib on a trailer rather than lug the engine about, there is one about it right now Infact. Why bother with a Sib at all then? I just can't understand why you would do that if buying it all to begin with.

I wonder how many buy a Sib then a while later say, sod this and put it on a trailer to save lugging the engine about.......
Ok that was a quick answer on a mobile. I chose a RBB rather than a SIB for various reasons so to an extent I agree with you. However you get an old SR4 for the same money as a new SIB with warranty. The general assumption is a SIB will be fine with something in the 15-25HP, but a SR4 "wants" a 40-50HP so the costs don't match up (especially new). I think there is a lot of appeal to a new (or nearly new) package rather than a 20yr old one - even if it was originally military spec. A warranty is worth a lot!

A SIB is lighter that a SR4 so IS easier to push around on its trailer (esp. if you are looking at SR4+40HP+battery+fuel+console etc, v's SIB+fuel+20HP!) That means its possible to pop transom wheels on it (or gurnard inflatable rollers under it) and easily pull up a distant shore when you get there. Using the same approach you can avoid dunking the trailer at all. And being able to take the shore without worrying about your gel coat an make for more relaxed exploring.

You are probably right though that a lot of people start off folding and inflating each time, and then realise it would be easier to keep inflated. Once you've got a SIB a trailer is probably cheaper than flogging it and finding a suitable RIB. Not everyone stores them inflated at home though - some pop it on the trailer for "trips" but pack it up to store in between, or over winter.

I think some people also like the simplicity of a tiller steered basic boat. That's possible with a RIB too of course, but rarer. Of course there are circumstances which suit both options - thats why there is a market for each, and also times when they overlap, or the ideal rig is the one you don't have. I guess people might look at your arrangements and wonder why?
Old 18 October 2015, 18:27   #10

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I can only speak for myself Xk59D ..but Poly hit the nail on the head.. great cheapness and easy of moving on land.

Pushing a SIB on a trailer down banks and across beaches is NOT the same as pushing a heavier RIB on a trailer.

I gave up a hardshell boat around the same weight as a small RIB because I was killing myself launching off beaches. I find it is far easier with a SIB.. but if it is too hard to push on the trailer..I haul it off and put it on inflated rollers to get it to the sea.

I doubt if any 60 year old could single handed shove a SR4 to the sea in the typical places I launch my boat ? If they do..they are a lot stronger than me.

Some random but typical launch and recovery beaches I use..
150 yards of soft sand ..rocks and seaweed ..SIB launched and recovered at low tide..no problem

100 yards of large stones after coming down 6 feet of grass banking...

50 yards of rocks sand and seaweed after a steep grassy banking..launched..waiting for the tide so I can get an early start.

I regularly single handed launch and recovered on all these shores in the photos..and do similar launch and recovery most places I go.. slipways are a luxury for me... and mostly in places I don’t go.

As for comparing costs ... My set up.. 4.3 meter Quicksilver..25 hp outboard .. trailer ...and a lot of extras including cover ..launch wheels .. trailer ..all only 6 years old.. pristine condition .. and hardly used ...cost one third the price of the SR4 on sale here at present. I have seen some SR4s going for sale at 5 times the price I paid for my set up.. so very much cheaper than RIBs too.

My second hand set up the day I bought it... and it 1/3 the cost of a decent SR4

I have had heavier boats in my past.. and getting lighter boats as I age. I’m afraid I need a heavy RIB as much as I need lead diving boots.

Last year .. I did considered the light ali hull “RIBs” like the Highfield Classic range ..and also the F-RIB range ..both brands are even lighter than my SIB.. but I cant justify the extra cost..while I can still launch and recover my own setup. I am still thinking of a lighter trailer though

Thats why I have a trailer SIB
Old 18 October 2015, 18:29   #11

Poly, some good points which frankly are not arguable.

For the record, when it comes bill time I also wonder why I have what I do! Lol
Old 18 October 2015, 18:37   #12

Hey gurnard, the daddy of sib owners I think we all agree.

One thing if I may, why the trailer though? Would transom wheels or ballon type wheels not do the same thing essentially and blow it up en situ?
Old 18 October 2015, 18:45   #13

Hi again Xk59D.. I gave the transom wheels away..they sat on the draw bar of my trailer so it was easier to push across the shores.

I couldn t lift the front of my SIB..never mind pull it on transom wheels.. just too heavy for me. But that could be because I wanted the best of both worlds.. a boat and a SIB ...with storage up front and a small console to hang onto..that holds the fish finder batteries and most important..keeps my camera equipment dry..its costs more than any SIB so cant afford to get it wet.

The trailer is so I don t have the experience of hauling the floor out every time. Its not an easy task..aslso a 4.3 meter floored SIB and an outboard would have a problem fitting into my SUV..even when neatly packed away.
Old 18 October 2015, 18:54   #14

Great, getting somewhere now perhaps gurnard.

Part of the reason I made this thread was I fully intend to get a 4m ish sib and I'm now wondering if it will realistically need to live on a trailer for awkward launch sites. Or more to the point if it is a case of getting to a launch site I may as well just take the rib? If I need to tow something it won't be the sib.

My thinking was X sib and ballon wheels and drag it to wherever and launch it. do you think that is unrealistic assuming say a 4m hon wave and your engine for arguments sake?
Old 18 October 2015, 19:31   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Great, getting somewhere now perhaps gurnard.

Part of the reason I made this thread was I fully intend to get a 4m ish sib and I'm now wondering if it will realistically need to live on a trailer for awkward launch sites. Or more to the point if it is a case of getting to a launch site I may as well just take the rib? If I need to tow something it won't be the sib.

My thinking was X sib and ballon wheels and drag it to wherever and launch it. do you think that is unrealistic assuming say a 4m hon wave and your engine for arguments sake?
What do you want to use the SIB for? What will you transport it in? (and with what other kit/people etc). If you happen to have a van, and/or very little kit that is a big advantage over say trying to take a family on holiday with the boat.

Personally I'd suggest the Gurnard's size of boat is a little too big for someone on their own who has a nice big RIB sitting at home. Let me explain that...

There are definitely days when you will wish you have a bigger boat (longer trips, more people, bigger waves etc). if you have a 6m rib you'd just use that instead. There are also days when you will wish you had a smaller, lighter rig - those are the days on your own when you've found parking spot 100 yrds from the shore on a slight slope, or when you only have a couple of hours. Personally, if all you want is quick and simple I'd look towards 3.2m air floor and 15HP (or the Hen's teeth 18HP twastsu two stroke) with transom wheels and a bravo pump...
Old 18 October 2015, 19:56   #16

Poly, I realise sibs and ribs have their place so I'm looking for something for the times the tides doesn't suit launching or perhaps a bored afternoon and weather is good etc but can't be bothered with the hassle of trailers.

Transport isn't an issue, I have a 4x4 for towing the 6.8 so no matter what I buy will go in the boot....within reason of course.

I will never likely be on own, probably always 2 people hence the 4m or so.

Whilst a big guy myself I don't fancy lugging a modern 4 stroke about to hang it on the transom so a 15 would be the compromise perhaps, anything bigger I would do what gurnard does with his trolley.

There will be nothing in the sib, no cameras, fishing stuff etc as I don't like fishing. It is purely for pleasure use the same as my big one. Be me ANO and a fuel tank in it. No aux outboard as I won't use it miles from anywhere like some others perhaps, no camping gear etc as don't do that either.

This isn't a replacement for the big one btw, it is to complement it and maybe even take it with me sometimes when away.

If this means having to put a 4m on a trailer then I simply won't bother and just live with the rib, it isn't exactly a hardship to be fair.
Old 18 October 2015, 20:15   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Poly, I realise sibs and ribs have their place so I'm looking for something for the times the tides doesn't suit launching or perhaps a bored afternoon and weather is good etc but can't be bothered with the hassle of trailers.
I'd say the hassle of assembling/inflating a sib is similar if not worse than trailer launching! Have you considered a Marina ?
Quote:
Transport isn't an issue, I have a 4x4 for towing the 6.8 so no matter what I buy will go in the boot....within reason of course.

I will never likely be on own, probably always 2 people hence the 4m or so.
depending on your boot size and boat choice some will need the back seats down - just in case you will ever be 3 up?

Quote:
This isn't a replacement for the big one btw, it is to complement it and maybe even take it with me sometimes when away.
One small enough to keep on deck would give you a tender - which is always the issue with a big rib when you want to go ashore somewhere remote/tidal...
Old 18 October 2015, 20:31   #18

I normally launch at a marina if that is what you mean?

The 6.8 though is a big lump to launch myself though and ideally needs maybe 3 hours max either side of tide as where I launch (kip) levels out a little at the bottom, can make things a little tricky so I keep within that window.

I'm very happy with the 6.8 arrangements, that doesn't need changing. If tide allows I can have the boat in the water within an hour from thinking about it to sailing out the marina. I have never left my rib in less than a week unless it is loch lomond or puffin dive centre. kip is brilliant that way.

The sib will 99% of the time be 2 up and I have had a 3m suzumar in the boot with all my normal rib kit no bother inc my aux. The front of the rib has plenty of room to store a sib upto 4m if need be.

Do I need a sib, no....I want one though to see if it will fill in the gaps.
Old 18 October 2015, 20:35   #19

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I'm looking for something for the times the tides doesn't suit launching or perhaps a bored afternoon and weather is good etc but can't be bothered with the hassle of trailers.
>>>never likely be on own, probably always 2 people

Well then I'd say the 15hp 2-stroke you mention is ideal but with only two folks and almost no kit 3.2-3.8m should be sufficient.

Unless you are an expedition type like Gurnard with a large and well kitted out SIB for several days away at a time for me the whole appeal of a SIB is their "out of the boot" ability... a fast response boat if you like.

Mine happens to be an Aerotec currently but I've had several over the last few years that have met the criteria...

No spare space in garage or elsewhere for a trailer but packed SIB and 15hp take up so little room. Whether I'm going 85mls to the sea or 500mls to Scotland for a week or two I want to travel at normal car speeds with no concerns of trailer security on meal breaks or overnight stops. On a normal day out I want the SIB, outboard and all its kit to fit in the loadspace under its pull out cover. At the launch site I don't want to park a trailer with the attendant space and security issues.

There is something quite special about arriving at a launch site with the car apparently having no association with boating... lift the tailgate then unpack and set up the SIB in short order to zoom off at near on 20kts to exciting places.

So I hear what leisure use folks say when they say it's easier with a trailer... but it would never be for me.
Old 18 October 2015, 20:35   #20

Hi again Xk59D..

The trailer SIB would be handy at the launch site you cant get the RIB in at..but I guess you can launch further away with the RIB ..travel fast to get where I would launch ?

For me..the beauty of the trailer SIB.. as Poly again mentioned ..is the simplicity. On the spur of the moment..I can just up and go anywhere I fancy.. by myself.

An example ..in September .. I suddenly took a notion to see Knoydart..so packed the car..hitched the trailer up and I was off within a few hours of the initial though. Shoved the SIB and trailer across the shore at Arnisdale ..and that evening camped in remote Barrisdale bay.

Yup..for me and my set up.. that is how easy it is. I then abandoned the boat and tent on the remote shore and went hill walking for a couple of days. Im not worried about leaving the cheap as chips SIB unattended..its not expensive like a big RIB.. if someone was to go off with it.

Could you do that with your large trailered RIB ?

I think you would need to plan where to launch and recover from. Then travel a lot further by sea to get to Loch Hourn. Would you even be able to launch on your own .. on an unfamiliar site ..even if you found a decent shore / slipway you could reverse the car down ? Or would you need a helpful crew to assist. Would you be as impulsive if the bigger RIB took a lot of time to get ready.. perhaps the car loaded with lots more gear etc. Would you happily leave it as you wander off exploring ?

These are questions only you can answer Xk59D..but its the reason I love my SIB...and don’t want a RIB.

I like the size and weight of mine too..although perhaps too big a SIB for some.. going round Eigg..in a force 4 ..I want all the length I can get. Im not bothered by bounce..but length means a lot to me in exposed conditions.

I guess..to sum it up ... for me.. its the adventure that counts.. not the vessel I go in.. its only a means of transport for me...if that makes sense

Remote but lovely Loch Hourn..

SIB and tent abandoned in beautiful surroundings as I wander the hills for a couple of days..

We all have our own ideas on our boating and what we want from it ..no setup is right..nor wrong..it is all a compromise ..whatever boat we have or how we use it

Tags
rib