Old 07 June 2017, 07:40   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Tohatsu 18, very much sought after as they were the lightest most powerful 2 smokes made..... guess the issue would be tracking down a tohatsu twist throttle tiller. Probably not worth the effort to gain an extra 3hp!

This is where my first post on this thread applies. The Tohatsu 18hp is 6kg heavier than a Mercury/Mariner 15hp for that 3hp... yet the Suzuki 20hp 4-stroke is only another 3kg over the Tohatsu to get you up to a full 20hp. So if you are just considering weight the previous attraction of the Tohatsu is losing ground.

If of course you preferred it because it was 2-stroke then a different matter.

I thought long and hard about a grey Tohatsu 18hp before buying the Suzuki but I needed it to be much cheaper than the Suzuki to make sense but it was actually more after carriage.

As a matter of interest while on Tohatsu 18's there is a guy in London on Gumtree with a 9.9 for £850 saying it can be derestricted to an 18hp with a carb change. Not so as while the 9.9/15/18 were the same leg, cowl and outward appearance the 18 while having the same stroke as the other two had a larger bore giving it 20% greater capacity making the change impossible without a new powerhead and carb.
Old 07 June 2017, 07:53   #22

>>>Don't bother with a 20 2 stroke - same bulk/weight as a 25 so either go light/portable with a 15 or go with the max allowable 25.

Yep good advice from Max... always buy the greatest HP for any given weight.
Old 07 June 2017, 07:57   #23

By chance this thread has caused me to look around Ebay and spot this year old Suzuki 20hp like mine. With just running in hours it's already almost £500 under the current new discount price and it has a spare prop worth around £100.... and offers are invited.

For anyone looking new/almost new it might be a good deal.

Suzuki DF20A Short Shaft Outboard Motor 20hp | eBay
Old 07 June 2017, 07:57   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Normally I wouldn't visit the SIB section if I was using the browser version.
Which browser are you using? If you go into SETTINGS then ALARMS and then DEPTH and set MINIMUM DEPTH OF SUBJECT to under KNEEDEEP you'll have a smoother "experience"...

Old 07 June 2017, 08:01   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Which browser are you using? If you go into SETTINGS then ALARMS and then DEPTH and set MINIMUM DEPTH OF SUBJECT to under KNEEDEEP you'll have a smoother "experience"...

Cheers for that, just checked & my depth setting was still on the factory default "overmyhead" sorted[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2017, 12:10   #26

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Wish I'd kept my old 3 hp 2 stroke. I sold it at a time when it seemed unlikely that I'd be getting another boat. Ah well.
Old 07 June 2017, 14:25   #27

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by davkt View Post
Looking for a 20hp ish 2 stroke set for remotes to go with the Aerotec I'll be picking up soon, as the OP said the low weight and portability are my key factors to fit with the whole stuff it in the boot of the car package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Don't bother with a 20 2 stroke - same bulk/weight as a 25 so either go light/portable with a 15 or go with the max allowable 25.

If a 15 then grab that Merc 15 in the ads at £995 - bargain for the best 15 to match an Aerotec.
To Max's point, keep in mind that the 20, 25, & 30 HP two strokes (all sharing a common powerhead) were not really considered or marketed by the OEM's to be "portables"*, with the weight of that powerhead group tipping the scales at 52-55 kg's (115-120 lb's). No doubt that's a fair amount of bulky, awkward weight for one person to muscle around. Whereas the 10-15 HP powerhead group is manageable for most to handle in terms of weight, at 34-36 kg's (75-80 lb's).

* I'm not certain on this, but I don't believe OB's in this powerhead group came equipped with screw clamps on the transom brackets either (as true portable OB's have). As I recall, the 20-30 HP OB's are almost all bolt on attachment to the transom.
Old 07 June 2017, 15:35   #28
Administrator

Town: Brighton
The 25hp outboards that I have owned definitely had screw clamps. They were too heavy to carry comfortably though, and I decided that a 15hp 2-stroke was the biggest that I was happy to move around regularly.
Old 07 June 2017, 16:00   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
* I'm not certain on this, but I don't believe OB's in this powerhead group came equipped with screw clamps on the transom brackets either (as true portable OB's have). As I recall, the 20-30 HP OB's are almost all bolt on attachment to the transom.

Mine does, every 20 and 25 I've seen does too (mine has bolts as we'll) and I think up to 40hp at least (e.g. D-class) normally have clamps.
Old 07 June 2017, 16:03   #30

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The 25hp outboards that I have owned definitely had screw clamps. They were too heavy to carry comfortably though, and I decided that a 15hp 2-stroke was the biggest that I was happy to move around regularly.
What's your set up now John?

The Aerotec and 15 is a great combo but I drift in and out of getting an additional 25 just for slip launches and skiing with the kids etc.
Old 07 June 2017, 16:08   #31

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Allegedly the army definition of portable:if it has a handle, it's portable. Famously, you could put a handle on a Nissen hut and it would become a portable Nissen hut.

From the point of view of outboards: would you buy it if you knew you had to fit it and detach it, solo, every time you used the boat? I'm a bit weedy, but I used to carry a 15 hp 2 stroke from the car to the boat and sometimes I put it on the transom when the boat was already afloat - but that was such hard work that I bought a smaller engine.
Old 07 June 2017, 17:03   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

Mine does, every 20 and 25 I've seen does too (mine has bolts as we'll) and I think up to 40hp at least (e.g. D-class) normally have clamps.
Old 07 June 2017, 17:16   #33

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
Looks like a 15 I am looking for then!
Old 07 June 2017, 18:51   #34

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
I have 3 x 2006 2 strokes.. 3.4hp, 15hp and 50hp, two for the SIB depending on whether on river or sea.
Old 07 June 2017, 20:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkt View Post
Looks like a 15 I am looking for then!
As earlier, grab the man aboves Merc 15.
Old 07 June 2017, 20:08   #36
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
What's your set up now John?
Currently canoes, kayaks, and a share in a motor cruiser. The only inflatable on the fleet right now is a paddle board
Quote:
The Aerotec and 15 is a great combo but I drift in and out of getting an additional 25 just for slip launches and skiing with the kids etc.
Most recently we had a matched pair of Aerotecs with 15hp 2-strokes, and I still think this is the best combination if you want a boat to use without a trailer.

I did have a 25 on an Aerotec for a while. It came with a trailer, which I didn't really want, but if I was going to use a trailer I wouldn't choose to have a SIB.

Even with the trailer it was mostly a PITA to be honest as it was just too heavy. Whilst it got the boat on the plane heavily loaded with no problem, in anything but a flat calm you don't want to be going too fast with four on board as you'll end up breaking heads. One-up it was a laugh, but really a 15 gives you as much usable speed as you need.
Old 07 June 2017, 20:43   #37

Cheers Jk, did not realise you had sold yours. Totally in agreement re' trailers and SIBs, just like a bit more than the 17kts the deep V saps out of a 15. It does pick up well though and again agree that the Aero' and 15 is the ultimate all round compromise lightweight usable SIB outfit.
Old 08 June 2017, 23:27   #38

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Currently canoes, kayaks, and a share in a motor cruiser. The only inflatable on the fleet right now is a paddle board.
Are not just me then, my cheepest boat and the most used out of all of them by a mile

Wouldn't do it now but in my early 20s I used to lug a 40hp 2st around no wonder I have a bad back these days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4844.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	119947  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2017, 00:55   #39

Town: Western Colorado
Boat name: Vanilla Ice Cream
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Johnson Outboard
I run a 1998 Johnson 50hp...it has been totally rebuilt a few years ago..new powerhead..aftermarket fuel pump. Runs great.
Old 10 June 2017, 09:10   #40

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Are not just me then, my cheepest boat and the most used out of all of them by a mile

Wouldn't do it now but in my early 20s I used to lug a 40hp 2st around no wonder I have a bad back these days!
I'm surprised your names not Nick Hernia!