Old 06 August 2009, 11:03   #71

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
There are lots of ways to do everything, but I will suggest that you should never tie your boat down using the motor as an attachment point. You want to avoid undue stress on the transom for sure! I use a transom saver to lessen the strain caused by the outboard leveraging on the transom. I recognize that you are proposing to strap to the engine mount that is directly bolted to the transom, but I would still vote for strapping directly to the transom at the widest point possible. I purchased my boat used and have had the wonderful opportunity to reglue all of the transom seams, so I am cautious. The trailer that the boat came with did not have bunks that were long enough to extend under the transom itself. This is another simple mistake the original owner made. I didn't move the bunks, but I did move the bow point and adjusted the center of gravity by moving the axle too. Now the transom is directly supported by the bunks as it sounds like yours are. I installed the Smart tabs with the adjusting pulley and cleat. The Tabs are out of the way when raised. I have loaded onto the trailer without remembering to raise my Tabs and they have just adjusted themselves up and haven't been damaged or dented so far, but I don't make a habit of that. When you install the tabs so they can be raised manually there is going to be a gap between the tab and the tube because you will have to leave room for the tab to clear the wide part of the tube when it's raised fully. If you adjust your tie off point on the trailer your hold down straps should fit right down between the tabs and the tubes. Obviously, if the trailer attachment point is too close to the center of the trailer the hold down strap would bear against the tab. My bunks fall inside the speed tubes, but it sure looks like you could put an eye bolt on your trailers outside rail and get the angle you need. When is anything marine related straightforward? I have really long bunks that wouldn't fit between the speed tubes and the main tubes up forward, that's why they are inside. I'm sure you will work it out when the tabs are in hand.

Old 10 August 2009, 18:50   #72

Town: Great Lakes
Boat name: MK2C Futura 3.7
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Nissan 40hp Outboard
Got the Smart Tabs Mounted.... took me some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
There are lots of ways to do everything, but I will suggest that you should never tie your boat down using the motor as an attachment point. You want to avoid undue stress on the transom for sure! I use a transom saver to lessen the strain caused by the outboard leveraging on the transom. I recognize that you are proposing to strap to the engine mount that is directly bolted to the transom, but I would still vote for strapping directly to the transom at the widest point possible. I purchased my boat used and have had the wonderful opportunity to reglue all of the transom seams, so I am cautious. The trailer that the boat came with did not have bunks that were long enough to extend under the transom itself. This is another simple mistake the original owner made. I didn't move the bunks, but I did move the bow point and adjusted the center of gravity by moving the axle too. Now the transom is directly supported by the bunks as it sounds like yours are. I installed the Smart tabs with the adjusting pulley and cleat. The Tabs are out of the way when raised. I have loaded onto the trailer without remembering to raise my Tabs and they have just adjusted themselves up and haven't been damaged or dented so far, but I don't make a habit of that. When you install the tabs so they can be raised manually there is going to be a gap between the tab and the tube because you will have to leave room for the tab to clear the wide part of the tube when it's raised fully. If you adjust your tie off point on the trailer your hold down straps should fit right down between the tabs and the tubes. Obviously, if the trailer attachment point is too close to the center of the trailer the hold down strap would bear against the tab. My bunks fall inside the speed tubes, but it sure looks like you could put an eye bolt on your trailers outside rail and get the angle you need. When is anything marine related straightforward? I have really long bunks that wouldn't fit between the speed tubes and the main tubes up forward, that's why they are inside. I'm sure you will work it out when the tabs are in hand.
Got the Smart Tabs mounted... per the mfg's advice got the ST980-30's. I took some time to mount... , certainly not one hour and I am mechanically inclined. OK maybe a bit of a perfectionost which may add some time...

The tabs, if fully up for some reason.. clear the side tubes by 1 1/8" (as a precaution), so they are mounted inboard of the side tubes 1 1/8 ".

I set the tabs up so that at their lowest angle off of the hull (which is not a straight line)are 30 degrees (a maximum angle Nauticus Inc., I need the lift - bow down) The middle of top bracket = 25 degrees (optimum as a start). The top = 20 degress, would never see myself using this position.

I was a bit ticked off though, you see the brackets that mount to the tabs are non symmetrical Starboard to Port, however the top brackets that hold the struts are symm., makes no sense. It made me blow a set of holes in my transom, OK now, filled them with 3M 5200.

I am anxious to take the Zodiac out... will give a report when I do.

Kelson, I did read the trailering advice.. I greatly appreciate that. I will be tying down from the transom.... good point not going off of the outboard mount.
Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart Tabs Mounted.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	44739  

Old 10 August 2009, 19:40   #73

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Looks very nice! My transom sure doesn't look that good with marine tex sealing up all sorts of old holes. I can only add one comment. It is nice that your tab placement doesn't interfere with your trailer bunks. But you still might want to consider adding the pulley arrangement to raise the tabs if you beach very often. The tabs do tend to dig in. I pull mine up a lot. It all depends on your use. Nice to raise the tabs if you are backing around and manuvering in tight spaces too. The boat will back up with the tabs lowered, but not as well. I am sure you will have a great time out on the water, be sure to post some pics!
Old 16 August 2009, 01:04   #74

Town: Vernon, BC
supplementary tubes on 1990 Futura MK 1???

Hi All,
I'm looking at a zodiac futura MK 1 "XDC" and the owner says it has "extra tubes under the main tubes for stability".

Has anyone heard of this?

You can see the tubes in the pic attached...they're peeking out from under the main tubes, near the transom.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	44919  
Old 16 August 2009, 02:30   #75

Town: Vernon, BC
speed tubes?

These may be speed tubes?
Old 29 May 2013, 17:02   #76

Town: Newbury
Boat name: Inflatable Date II
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Yamaha 40 hp F/I
Bryan: How long did the Mississippi river trip take? Did you rough it or stay in hotels etc. Interested in more info about that trip.

Ted,
Massachusetts
Old 29 May 2013, 18:20   #77

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwessels View Post
Hi All,
I'm looking at a zodiac futura MK 1 "XDC" and the owner says it has "extra tubes under the main tubes for stability".

Has anyone heard of this?

You can see the tubes in the pic attached...they're peeking out from under the main tubes, near the transom.

Thanks!
those tubes under the main tubes are what makes it a futura . The boat rises up and planes on them more like a cat than a monohull . They are often called hi jackers