Old 04 August 2014, 23:57   #21

Town: Los Angeles
Length: no boat
capnjack - yeah, i get it. i just don't that cash flow at the moment. but good to hear bigger/heavier is better. thanks

bigtalljv - a rib and a place to put it is ideal. maybe in a few years. this will have to do for now
Old 05 August 2014, 14:18   #22

Town: Berkshire
Make: Zodiac Futura MK II
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp 4 Strok
I have the Zodiac Futura 4.2 mtr with a new Mariner 20hp 4 stroke, when it is calm, the boat flies and a real pleasure, when it is choppy I get a sore ass, the people at the front of the boat have more of a sore backside than me, but saying that when I open her up across the waves it depends if I land on the other side of the wave, if I do, its a nice smooth feeling or if I hit the wave front on that can be a bit uncomfortable, and if I ride the waves, its a great feeling, the 20hp I found was man enough to fight the currents etc no problem,
Old 05 August 2014, 15:13   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
I'd look into trying to store a rib. "LA" is a big place, look for storage away from the water? A buddies house? his folks?
I was thinking more along the lines of RV storage yards and the like. Don't know what they run (I have room for my boat on the side of the house), but I can't see them being more than about $60-100/month. Could be wrong though, and I know LA could be pricier.

jky
Old 06 August 2014, 15:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun2020 View Post
I have the Zodiac Futura 4.2 mtr with a new Mariner 20hp 4 stroke, when it is calm, the boat flies and a real pleasure, when it is choppy I get a sore ass, the people at the front of the boat have more of a sore backside than me, but saying that when I open her up across the waves it depends if I land on the other side of the wave, if I do, its a nice smooth feeling or if I hit the wave front on that can be a bit uncomfortable, and if I ride the waves, its a great feeling, the 20hp I found was man enough to fight the currents etc no problem,
I went to the dealer yesterday and the MK2 Futura and 20hp motor are definitely the right size for me.

The question is Fastroller or HD/Aluminum floor...

The dealer said the aluminum floor gives much better performance than the FR because it won't flex, and the extra weight makes it more seaworthy. My concern is that 20 hp is the minimum recommended power for the HD (but the maximum for the FR).

Shaun2020 - do you have a Fastroller or aluminum floor?

How does the 20hp do with two people and some gear? How fast? Will it plane easily??
Old 06 August 2014, 15:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of RV storage yards and the like. Don't know what they run (I have room for my boat on the side of the house), but I can't see them being more than about $60-100/month. Could be wrong though, and I know LA could be pricier.

jky
interesting. i hadn't thought of that. i will look into it. thanks!
Old 06 August 2014, 15:19   #26

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafe View Post
I went to the dealer yesterday and the MK2 Futura and 20hp motor are definitely the right size for me.

The dealer said the aluminum floor gives much better performance than the FR because it won't flex, and the extra weight makes it more seaworthy. My concern is that 20 hp is the minimum recommended power for the HD (but the maximum for the FR).

How does the 20hp do with two people and some gear? How fast? Will it plane easily??
I used to run the HD MKV 5.85 heavy duty version Ali Floor with a 30 HP was fine 2/3 up slow 12 up though so 20 hp on smaller version would be OK,
Old 06 August 2014, 15:30   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
interesting. i hadn't thought of that. i will look into it. thanks!
You'll need a good (cable lockable?) cover to keep debris and the odd prying eyes out, and remove all electronics/other valuables before leaving. Also get in the habit of partially deflating each time (won't over-pressurize on hot days, and less of a temptation for others to "pop the balloon".)

jky
Old 06 August 2014, 16:56   #28

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Shafe..

I agree with the others.. the longer / larger the boat is.. in general.. the more seaworthy it wil be.

I do two or three 10 mile open sea crossings a year in my SIB.. and have no concerns doing it assuming the weather forcast is predictable. My SIB is a 4.3m Quicksilver... with the full wooden panel floor. Weight helps stabilize it in a chop..so I have a heavy rubber mat on top of the floor..plus all the various boxes and anchors etc to add weight as I travel alone.

Its powered by a 25Hp two stoke and I seldom have it at full chat..it planes easily and very quickly. Cruises at ½ to ¾ throttle.

Another thing to consider if doing long open sea crossings..in remote areas like the west of Scotland is.. what will you do if your engine breaks down/ slips a prop/ hits submerged log or rock etc ? It will happen sooner or later so be prepared for it. I consider the auxiliary engine as a vital part of my boat’s “seaworthiness “ ..and not just how well the boat handles waves. I like to be totally independent.. hence my reason for the aux engine...and why I feel comfortable doing these exposed crossings. If you travel in company of other boats..it is not so important.

I would never swap my set up for an aerotec 380, but I also know that I would not use my setup without a trailer. A wooden or aluminium floor SIB in the 4 meter size is a pain to set up from scratch ..it is also very bulky.. and weighs over 110kg for boat and floor alone.

The reason I don’t use a Rib of comparable size is.. cost..weight for launch and retrieval on my own .. bigger engine required for same performance etc.

Just my twopence worth

Old 06 August 2014, 17:33   #29
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:

If you're packing it away every time then I would choose the air floor every time.

If you find a way to leave it on a trailer then the ali floor.

The air floor may not perform quite as well as the hard floor but you will use the boat more!
Old 06 August 2014, 18:39   #30

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Totally agree on the ali floor being a pain to setup. If you don't have it on a trailer and have to set it up every time go with the inflatable floor. You will bounce around and flex more on the water. But your "out of the water" performance will be vastly better not having to deal with the floorboards.
Old 07 August 2014, 21:13   #31

Town: Berkshire
Make: Zodiac Futura MK II
Engine: Mariner 20hp 4 Strok
Quote:

Hi Shafe,
sorry for the late reply, I have the Aliminium floor, which does make a difference in the weight of the boat, when I had the flooring out to carry out some repairs recently I noticed a big difference in lifting & moving the boat around, I would go for Ali floor over any of the rest, maintenace free practically and gives the boat more weight to keep it down, more safer if you are fishing which I mainly use my boat for, 20hp I found is man enough for the boat but if you are a speed freak like myself you always want more, I think my boat takes up to a 60hp off the top of my head, personally I think that would be too powerful for the boat / waves I encounter, I usually go out with two mates, I am 10.5 stone, one mate is 11 stone, and my other mate is 20 stone, I have all my fishing gear on board with a crate of beer for my 2 x labourers and I had no problems, if anything my mates sat at the front of the boat and it helped keep the front end down, which made the ride nicer, of course bigger waves will slow you down and you will be bruised a bit more but I have had no issues with power / currents / waves, and at the end of the day I tie everything down if it is choppy and the last hour I just go and play & jump over the waves like a kid in a sweet shop. one bit of advice, I would trailer it as it is too big to blow up and pack away each time you go out, and my flooring was a bit of hassle putting it back in the boat, hope this helps,
Best wishes
Shaun
Old 08 August 2014, 01:35   #32

Which Zodiac/Bombard would perform better...

Thanks all for your feedback.

Unfortunately I can't trailer it due to storage issues but I am still going to use the aluminum floor. Because I am spearfishing the HD floor is safer with the sharp equipment im using and I want the weight and rigidity so I feel more comfortable going further offshore. Im told it takes 10 minutes to fill up and top off the air floor and 15-20 minutes to install the ali floor once you get good at it. But I go out for 4-6 hours at a time just once a week so an extra 20 minutes isn't a big deal to me.

I also an on upgrading to a 40hp and trailering it in a couple years so I will want the Ali floor then.

But thanks to all for weighing in.