Old 09 June 2014, 03:07   #11
Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20 HP
I have had my Honwave IE 3.8 + 20HP for 5 years now. I am very happy with both its handling and performance. I have done several 40 - 50 mile round trips in a day in this boat, it has always done the job well.

Apart from a tear on the underside which was caused by something sharp on the beach that is the only problem I have had.

Every boat has it's pro's and con's, it depends upon what you are prepared to live with. These SIB's are light, easy to launch and retrieve and best of all very economical....the downside is in chop they bounce around like corks and having no Cuddy one has to be prepared for a good drenching.

Sometimes I envy the bigger boats - the cabin, the cooker, the head would be nice.....until I see them messing endlessly around on the moorings or I hear the complaints of big RIB owners about the cost of fuel!

Small boats = a lot more water time by comparison in my opinion.

Yesterday was a classic - excellent weather, decided to go out at last moment - left for Lee on Solent at midday and was in the water half an hour from leaving home. Retrieval the same time. Flush the engine, hose out the boat wheel into garage......try doing that with a big RIB.

Honwave/ Aerotec, Avons, Quicksilvers - all good boats.

CJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 12:12   #12
Town: Charlton
Length: no boat
Thanks for posting all this useful info, after looking around for the last 6 months I am ready to buy my first SIB now and it answered a few questions I was just about to ask.

I still have a few questions though and any help is much appreciated

1) Is a safety cutout on outboards a standard thing? I have a young daughter and don't want to have to watch her heading out to sea if I fall over board (only joking - mum would be there too)

2) Is this list of the things I will need for safety and fun (besides a boat and engine) complete or is there anything else that is a really essential item?

Fuel tank and lines
Transom wheels
Bucket, anchor & rope
Life Jackets

I am not planning to go far from shore to begin with, is a radio essential if you are less than 200m from shore and have mobile coverage?

I am looking for something 3.4-3.8m (aerotec would be lovely) with a 15hp engine ideally, anyone got something suitable for sale or seen one recently?

James Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 15:33   #13
Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Engine: 15hp Mariner
James I have everything you want and much more! I would also suggest reading below as although my outfit is very likely the cleanest outfit you will find and the outboard is serviced (properly) not just a wipe & set of plugs. These little boats are a lot of work to keep clean & outboards can be louder than you may expect. Buy wisely & research first.

Five minute wonder sib owner
T4bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2014, 08:10   #14
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
I have to agree with the ease of running small boats. My Rib is 4.9m long and it is also easy to launch and recover. Easy to to and move around. The 60 hp engine does not cost the earth to run. However there are times I too would like a bigger boat. The reality is however I spend 90% of my boating time on my one so smaller would probably suffuice.

two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2014, 02:46   #15
RIBnet admin team
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Don't want to bring up the old "right or wrong" argument, but Mainbrayce in the Channel lslands are still advertising the Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke engine new.

Plus they claim it is fully legal to "import" to the UK. Never got to the bottom of this when l bought mine a couple of years ago.
But they are still trading.
Channel islands aren't part of the EU, so they can bring them in. You might have to pay VAT/duty on top if you bring it across the Channel though. May be other issues (CE plate etc) on resale.
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2014, 07:16   #16
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
There's a brand new boxed Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke on Ebay at the moment originally sourced from Eastern Europe. Problem is the serial number plate is 2013 which means no private person has the right to own/use it. This could make it hard to sell on, perhaps give issues with a servicing dealer and also in the event of an insurance claim you might lose out if they said it was being illegally used in the UK.

The guy is asking a huge premium as it's unused but I see it as less value than a mint 2006.
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2015, 07:48   #17
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Clearing out the old favourites folder last night I found a fair few 'Which SIB/engine" type topics. Although these are from a few years back there is lots of good material here that is still relevant so listing them here if of help to others.

Much of it is from now inactive RIBnetters (and much from the same old f@rts ) but it goes to show nothing much has changed in the advice given.

Buying a SIB and engine

SIB tender/ENGINE advice needed pls

What SIB would you recomend?

what engine?

Thoughts and Bumblings to make my sib 'better' ?? Comments Please

What could be wrong here then?
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2016, 10:08   #18
Town: southampton
Boat name: boat
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard, petrol
The 9.8hp and the 18hp Tohatsu are completely different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ivanclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2016, 10:35   #19
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
... 2011... !
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote