Old 22 September 2008, 23:57   #1

Town: southampton
Make: honda wave 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: yamaha 25 4st
which sib ?

hello everyone
Im thinking buying a small inflatable around 3.8 m there are two that i am looking at one is the Bombard aerotec 380 and the other is a Quicksilver 380 xs . dose anyone have one of the two if so have you got any good or bad feedback . Im looking powering with a Mariner 25hp EFI

thanks
catjasp
Old 23 September 2008, 06:41   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjasp View Post
hello everyone
Im thinking buying a small inflatable around 3.8 m there are two that i am looking at one is the Bombard aerotec 380 and the other is a Quicksilver 380 xs . dose anyone have one of the two if so have you got any good or bad feedback . Im looking powering with a Mariner 25hp EFI

thanks
catjasp
Hi,

I do not have any experience of the 3.8 Bombard, but have used, sold and worked on a great number of the Quicksilver Heavy Duties (the 3.8 is the smallest of that range) and can say without qualm that they are superb boats.

At that size the upgrade to Ali floor is expensive, so unless you plan to do lots of heavy load carrying I would stick with the standard composite floor.

A 25HP motor will propel you along very nicely indeed, I would be happy with a 15 or 18 so you should have plenty of oomph.

As discussed elsewhere recently there are some very nice trailers to suit this size of boat, so if you get fed up of assembling (though with practice you can get this down to 20 mins) you have that option readily to hand.

If you would like a nice RIB Netter's price then please feel free to PM me.
Old 23 September 2008, 11:29   #3

Town: wells
Make: Porters / bombard
Engine: 60 / 15hp
Bobmard 380

I have just bought one of these, and am so pleased I picked this one. The build quality is first class, they are very rare second hand (speaks volumes). I have a 15 two stoke wich is enough to make me grin, unless i was carrying a load I would not want anything heavier.
Old 23 September 2008, 15:02   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Bombards are great little sibs-i had one with a 30 on it before i got a surfcat. A friend of mine is going to be selling his Bombard soon- its got a Mariner 25(2stroke) on the back + trailer+launch wheels+bowbag - he is getting a 5m rib. PM me if youre interested.

I notice you are only just along the coast from me.
Old 23 September 2008, 15:18   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi, I have the Bombard 3.8 with a 15HP 2 st, which keeps up with my brother in laws QS 3.8 with a 25hp 2st!
If you want a light wight portable boat go with the Bombard, if you want a bigger as in wider heavier boat then the QS but you will end up with it on a trailer I bet! Both very good Sibs, the Bombard is a drier ride as it is much deeper from the top of the tubes to the floor up at the bow & sitting up on the seat (that comes padded with foam & bolts in so it dose not come out!) you are sitting in the boat not on it!
Old 23 September 2008, 15:33   #6

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
(that comes padded with foam & bolts in so it dose not come out!)
It would be true to say that the plank seats in the bigger Quicksilvers are not the pinacle of design achievement.
Old 23 September 2008, 15:42   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
It would be true to say that the plank seats in the bigger Quicksilvers are not the pinacle of design achievement.
Old 23 September 2008, 17:06   #8

Town: Bathgate
Boat name: Caseydun
Make: Bombard
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke Yamaha
Bombard

I recently bought a Bombard 380 with a 25hp second hand after doing a bit of research. I was facing the same sort of dilemma as you and wasn't sure exactly what to go for.

It depends on how you will be launching it and how portable you need it to be. I like the Bombard because of the weight issue, two people can launch and recover it quite easily even with the outboard attached. The QS HD is double the weight of the Bombard I believe and I think I'd end up with a hernia pulling it out of the water, even with launch wheels!

After taking mine out on it's maiden voyage last month, I have been most impressed with it, but then, I haven't used anything else to compare it with.

You won't go wrong with a Bombard as far as I'm concerned.
Old 23 September 2008, 19:34   #9

Town: Portsmouth, UK
Boat name: Jelly Fish
Make: Quicksilver 3.8XSHD
Engine: Mariner 25MEFI
MMSI: 235905473
Hi,

I have a 380xs with a Mariner 25, bought new this summer and whilst I have only been out a couple of times (work and tides) it goes like a train and handles really easily. The boat gets on the plane at around 8-10 knots and rides chop nicely. Been up to 18 knots with ease on only half to threequarter throttle (still running the engine in).

I got a small trailer to haul it round on as the whole setup weighs a bit and getting the floor in and out takes a bit of effort. Our local slips have a habit of being knee deep in shingle and both the car and trailer are not happy at negotiating them, we are busy shouting at the local council and habourr poard to keep them clear. Other than that, launching is straightforward even when the current is running fast, just need to get the boat up the beach sufficiently so SWMBO is not dragged off while I am parking the car/trailer. Not had any problems with getting it back on the trailer, just need to make sure the trailer is deep enough, then winch/pull it on.

The board seat is a bit on the top of the tubes, but we tend to sit on the tubes and hang on to the ropes which makes for a nice ride.

We carry a small handheld GPS and VHF, along with some small fenders and of course a lifejacket each which we religiously wear.

Just need a summer and less work, then I can go out and enjoy it!!

Whatever you get, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Happy sibbing.
Old 20 October 2008, 22:27   #10

Town: southampton
Make: honda wave 380
Engine: yamaha 25 4st
Hi all thanks for all your info I ve ended up bying a honda 380ie airdeck and a Yamaha 25 4stoke . me and the girlfriend put her in the water on Sunday to start runing the engine in we were out for about 5 hours just playing around at low speed and only used 6 litres of fuel . we are looking forward to opening her up a bit should be fun little boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new boat 026.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	38298   Click image for larger version

Name:	new boat 027.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	38299   Click image for larger version

Name:	new boat 028.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	38300  
Old 20 October 2008, 22:40   #11

Town: some warm anchorage
Boat name: depends how I feel..
Make: Honwave Air 3.2
Engine: Tohatsu 18 2 Stroke
MMSI: VHF 16 who wants DSC
Quote:
Hi all thanks for all your info I ve ended up bying a honda 380ie airdeck and a Yamaha 25 4stoke . me and the girlfriend put her in the water on Sunday to start runing the engine in we were out for about 5 hours just playing around at low speed and only used 6 litres of fuel . we are looking forward to opening her up a bit should be fun little boat

Nice one. I just got the 320 ie with a tohatsu 18, great fun, the floor bends a bit which is a shame but I have a solution to that long term. you WILL have fun with it. its quite a big boat too, the 320 seems huge to me.
Old 20 October 2008, 23:02   #12

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Quote:
I have the T38 too, great boat

As Ruds says the floor moves a bit but you kinda get used to that. I would defo recommend getting a Bravo BST 12HP pump to make sure you get the floor to the correct pressure with minimal effort - makes all the difference, especially at sea!

I've also fitted the transom wheels which I've found vital for a single handed launch, some pics here