Old 08 April 2016, 16:56   #221

Town: LONDON
Length: 3m +
Hi Fenlander, thanks for the welcome.

For some reason I assumed Firstrib's engine was a 4-stroke. As it's a lighter 2-stroke that makes more sense.

The engine I was looking at is new and from here:

Yamaha F20BMHS 20hp Standard Shaft 4 Stroke Outboard Motor

Seems like a good deal, same price as the 15hp version on the same site.

I'm kind of put off 2-stroke from my motorbike days:

2-stroke = smelly, noisy and unreliable
4-stroke = quit, refined and more reliable

But don't know if this holds true to boats.

Good point on the shape of the Frib, makes sense. I suppose it could go on the roof rack, bagged up of course.

To be honest I think the Frib is out of my league. I'd started off looking at a £500 boat and cheap second hand engine on ebay, £1500 tops, and things have already escalated towards and past the £3k mark.

An Frib and engine is getting close to £5k and I can't justify that at the moment.

I could keep costs down by looking at a second hand engine, and that is an option if I see something. I do really like the idea of owning a brand new boat and engine though. (Couldn't afford a new car, but a new boat, that's a possibility).
Old 08 April 2016, 17:32   #222

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Richard if you see what's perfect for you go for it you won't be happy if you don't

Cheers
Old 08 April 2016, 20:40   #223

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Which roofrack for 3.5M RIB (Ford Ka)

Hi Richard,
Welcome to the forum. All good advice from Fenlander as usual.
As a former owner of an F-Rib 375 I thought I may as well throw my 'two pennith' in as you've expressed an interest in one.
There seems to be much hype and enthusiasm extolled for these boats by their owners and in fairness it may be deservedly so, as they are a pretty good and unique product. Unfortunately mine had a few issues and after discussion returned to the importer with a full refund....very good service from Steve at F-Rib.
In terms of folded size the 375 is big, it won't go smaller than 1100 x 1100 x 500mm and wouldn't fit in my A6 Avant and at 62kg is a big lump to get on the roof. This wasn't a problem to us as we keep boat inflated over the season. Not a problem with the smaller F-Ribs though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1460146033.982948.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	111809
A potential more worrying concern with the twin skin flat deck 375 hull is there have been a few reports of water ingress into the sealed sections. It is also interesting that the twin skin folding 375 is not now part of the current Winboat (manufacturers) range. I did notice a small amount of water in mine during the short time I had it, although at the time wasn't aware this may be a wider issue.
Having said all that the F-Ribs are very fast, much faster than any sib will ever be, as they should....they are a rib. Personally I think they are best suited to flat water, typical of their home market, as with only a 12 deg. dead rise they are not deep v or heavy enough to cut through typical UK inshore coastal swell or chop.
Lots of very satisfied F-Ribbers out there though.
Old 08 April 2016, 20:59   #224

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Richard if you see what's perfect for you go for it you won't be happy if you don't

Cheers

Wise advice. I entered the boating world very wet behind the ears, bought a rough old second hand boat and outboard... To be honest, I hadn't a clue what I was doing. Thankfully, even though the outboard was a dud I sold the lot for about £50 less than I bought it for... However, I believe I'm in the minority and many people buy good, reliable setups and are very pleased... Saves a small fortune too!

But, after my idiotic entry to the powered boating world I got myself a great (new) Honwave T38 and (new) 20 HP Honda setup and I'm stoked. It's great. In fact I'm just back in off the water in Norfolk and even the wife is happy!

We packed up a family of 4 in a Passat estate, including birthday presents, life jackets for 8 and holiday clothes and food/wine/beer for a long weekend with a roof rack to spare (SIB was on a cycle rack on the ball hitch)...

Can't comment on F-Ribs... Not for me as they don't suit my needs, Ribeye TS400 was my second choice but the Honwave was definitely the right choice!
Old 08 April 2016, 22:15   #225

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
We packed up a family of 4 in a Passat estate, including birthday presents, life jackets for 8 and holiday clothes and food/wine/beer for a long weekend with a roof rack to spare (SIB was on a cycle rack on the ball hitch!
Sib on a bike rack??? This I need to
see!
Old 08 April 2016, 22:38   #226

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Sib on a bike rack??? This I need to see!

That's what I thought.

>>>The engine I was looking at is new... Yamaha F20BMHS 20hp 4 Stroke... Seems like a good deal, same price as the 15hp version on the same site.

That's a hell of a deal on the 20hp Yamaha... cheaper than my new Suzuki 20hp last month. The reason I didn't consider the Yamaha is that weight is crucial to me and the extra 20lbs of a Yamaha over the Suzuki was just too much... and I fancied the no-carb EFI of the Suzuki. I don't know if this helps you but it's the elec start 15hp Yamaha that's the same as the manual 20hp... the manual 15hp is only £1844... perhaps that's an option or does the 20hp stil appeal?

>>>I'm kind of put off 2-stroke from my motorbike days: 2-stroke = smelly, noisy and unreliable... 4-stroke = quiet, refined and more reliable... But don't know if this holds true to boats.

Not completely true. The 2-strokes are still perfect for a SIB due to their lighter weight over a 4-stroke. At between 50:1 and 100:1 mixture the 2-strokes are not that bad for smoke or noise at speed... much noisier at idle though. 2-stroke outboards are proving very reliable and I've happily taken the family to sea for years with just a single 2-stroke motor.
Old 09 April 2016, 10:39   #227

Town: LONDON
Loads of good advice, where to begin...

Quote:
A potential more worrying concern with the twin skin flat deck 375 hull is there have been a few reports of water ingress into the sealed sections.
Ummm, that is worrying considering how much it costs. Is this a problem unique to the 375? Are the smaller models (I'm thinking 360) be safe from this?

From what you describe I think the 375 is also going to be to big for me to handle in my own. Think I'd be alright with the 360 in my A4 Avant.

Quote:
Wise advice. I entered the boating world very wet behind the ears, bought a rough old second hand boat and outboard... To be honest, I hadn't a clue what I was doing.
Yep, thats about where I'm at now.

Quote:
However, I believe I'm in the minority and many people buy good, reliable setups and are very pleased... Saves a small fortune too!
I can see the argument there but one reason I'm reluctant to spend more than necessary is because I'm not sure how much I'll use it. Sure, I'm excited now, but perhaps after a year I'll have got bored. Having said that, good quality kit thats been looked after does seem to hold it's value well.

Quote:
But, after my idiotic entry to the powered boating world I got myself a great (new) Honwave T38 and (new) 20 HP Honda setup and I'm stoked.
That's another boat I'm interested in. Great size, looks really nice too and I imagine Honda OBs are very reliable. The only thing that puts me off is reports of flexing and strange handling characteristics at speed. But there probably isn't a boat out there thats 100% in every way, a SIB is always going to compromise something. It's a contender.

Quote:
That's a hell of a deal on the 20hp Yamaha... cheaper than my new Suzuki 20hp last month. The reason I didn't consider the Yamaha is that weight is crucial to me and the extra 20lbs of a Yamaha over the Suzuki was just too much... and I fancied the no-carb EFI of the Suzuki. I don't know if this helps you but it's the elec start 15hp Yamaha that's the same as the manual 20hp... the manual 15hp is only £1844... perhaps that's an option or does the 20hp stil appeal?
I thought it looked a great deal as well. Main reason to go for the 20hp over the 15hp is because they're the same weight and a 20hp motor could be more useful if in the future I want a bigger boat.

The Suzuki engine sure does look impressive and I've also been offered a good price on one on an SD360 from Excel.

SD360 Boat and 20hp Suzuki for £3329.00 which seems like good value and a strong setup as a first boat. It would be an extra £1500 for that engine on a 360 F-Rib.

Quote:
Not completely true. The 2-strokes are still perfect for a SIB due to their lighter weight over a 4-stroke. At between 50:1 and 100:1 mixture the 2-strokes are not that bad for smoke or noise at speed... much noisier at idle though. 2-stroke outboards are proving very reliable and I've happily taken the family to sea for years with just a single 2-stroke motor.
I have no reason to doubt what you're saying but heart says 4-stroke. Hearts of course can be wrong.

I think the next thing to do is go and visit some dealers, see some boats in the flesh and see what happens. Trouble with living in London is the places I want to visit are a 200 mile round trip. Might start with Chas Newens in Putney, see what they have on display.

Many thanks once again.
Old 09 April 2016, 10:47   #228

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
see!
I presume he means it was deflated and strapped on in it's bag. An air floor SIB will weight less than three typical bikes.

Richard, have you read the Which SIB sticky?
Old 09 April 2016, 10:58   #229

>>>Richard, have you read the Which SIB sticky?

Yes I wondered that re getting best value if you don't take to it and sell on.

>>> good quality kit thats been looked after does seem to hold it's value well.

Well it does after the buyer from new has lost a substantial initial amount.

However if a new package appeals that SD360 plus Suzuki 20hp for £3329 isn't that good. Seamark Nunn would do you a Honwave T35-AE and Yamaha 20hp for £3032 and that's at individual prices before package haggling.

Agree re 15hp vs 20hp... always buy the max hp for any given weight... and if you want to buy new or almost new then it has to be 4-stroke.
Old 09 April 2016, 13:24   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Ummm, that is worrying considering how much it costs. Is this a problem unique to the 375? Are the smaller models (I'm thinking 360) be safe from this?

From what you describe I think the 375 is also going to be to big for me to handle in my own. Think I'd be alright with the 360 in my A4 Avant.

Richard,
The 375 is the only model imported with the twin skin flat deck hull. Not a problem on the 360, and other sizes, as all have the single skin hull. It also packs away smaller at 900 x 1100 x 450mm so should fit in your A4, and at only 48kg lighter to boot.
Only slight niggle for me with the single skin hull is water cannot drain from the two forward hull sections due to the hinge bulkheads. The rear section has a self bailer so drains when underway. We tow regularly in ours so lots of clambering in an out of the water brings in a fair bit of water by itself, even without any spray from bow in choppy side/headwinds. It doesn't seem an issue with other owners though and are often described as 'dry boats' - not something we noticed on our 375.
If not desperate for a flat deck the 360 would be a much better option.
Old 09 April 2016, 14:06   #231

Ok so if you have a tow ball mounted bike rack why not a trailer?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/2006-zo...tor-71634.html
Old 09 April 2016, 15:52   #232
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Ok so if you have a tow ball mounted bike rack why not a trailer?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/2006-zo...tor-71634.html
I think he has nowhere to store a trailer.
Old 09 April 2016, 16:36   #233

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Richard, welcome to this thread! The whole journey of finding a storable boat for a flat and small backyard garden and motor with the Ford KA and use on the Thames has been an adventure!

Thank you for introducing me to the notion of a foldable boat, he Frib. F-RIB 460 | F-RIB the larger one looks exciting, although it is still only rated at 20HP maximum which is bit of a shame since the Bombard Aerotec 380 takes 25HP.

I can't comment on the Excel SD360 as I haven't seen one, the you tube videos of the SD375 look good, although I wonder if the Aerotec 380 isn't a bit more durable. Good value though. I paid £1000 for my 380 second hand built 2001.

I am itching to go out in mine again, however, it is in the chandlery, Chas Newens in Putney to fix a very small leak and they discovered I have no thermostat so that is good and the electric start now works, it must have been the battery low amp connection plug I fitted. Perhaps the battery is not holding the voltage long enough.

There are plenty of launch points on the Thames and although it is rough sometimes, it is fun and safe if you have, I suggest: high N self inflating lifejackets with crotch strap, portable VHF radio, waterproof, with DSC distress key - I suggest this one is great and the London Coastguard have just got the DSC distress channel.

Where in London are you? I am in Fulham and use the Broomhouse Drawdock.
Old 09 April 2016, 16:37   #234

Poly knows - nowhere to store a trailer and Ford KA can't tow, not constructed or authorised to have a towbar
Old 09 April 2016, 16:42   #235

Hi, Chas Newens is a good place to start. Julie and Paul are very helpful, they have a few SIBS on display and can order in most things.
Old 09 April 2016, 17:11   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstrib View Post
Poly knows - nowhere to store a trailer and Ford KA can't tow, not constructed or authorised to have a towbar
I was referring to the Chap with an A4 estate with towbar..................... not you...
Old 09 April 2016, 17:12   #237

Yep I like Julie as well... she was very patient and helpful when my Aerotec floor needed swapping under warranty.
Old 09 April 2016, 17:17   #238

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
see!
Not so daft as it seams you can buy tow bar racks which take 100kg
Old 10 April 2016, 08:18   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstrib View Post
Thank you for introducing me to the notion of a foldable boat, he Frib. F-RIB 460 | F-RIB the larger one looks exciting, although it is still only rated at 20HP maximum which is bit of a shame since the Bombard Aerotec 380 takes 25HP.
Unless you own the 25hp already I think it's irrelevant. I will put a creme egg (a very prized possession round these parts) on the 20hp FRib out performing the 25hp Sib. So you can probably buy engine cheaper, match performance and use less go juice as well...
Old 10 April 2016, 08:55   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I will put a creme egg (a very prized possession round these parts) on the 20hp FRib out performing the 25hp Sib.

Absolutely, per hp the F-Ribs will out gun any Sib in a drag race on smooth water.
However, I'll raise you two creme eggs that you'll be backing off the throttle in the F-Rib way before the Aerotec (and many other sibs) in any chop or swell. 😀

Tags
rib