Strangest Ka i have seen that......
Looks decidedly like an Astra Hatch from that angle
Old 23 February 2016, 20:44   #162

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Quite right. The Ka is not in this picture, used a friend's car when the Ka was rented out via easycarclub.com for extra income.
Old 05 March 2016, 15:22   #163

Thanks Nick, I have emailed Salterns with photos and an ask for help for the older 2001 part
Old 12 March 2016, 11:43   #164

Plastic propeller nut and other questions

Spring is here everyone!

I finally have a Rooteq trolley which I am very pleased with which means I can finally move the Mercury 25HP EH motor around without fear of it crashing to the floor.

I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Propeller - I replaced the old with a new one as one fin was slightly bent, perhaps it didn't need doing, but I have a second hand one. The NUT is plastic and wasn't very tight and can't be done up very tightly - is this ok for such a key part of the motor? See photo. There are also no locking pieces of metal or washers or anything, see photos, is this ok?

2. I may have a very slight trickle of water from the gasket seal on the rectangular metal area in the photo, is this easily replaceable if I order a new gasket and fit it or should I get this seen to professionally? Seems to be just screws and it would come off.

3. On the tiller there is a knob which I don't understand - in the middle of the tiller picture - what is this for?

4. The chandlery mentioned an adjustment that can be made to the trim, to keep it from pulling too much to one side but I can't see it, any ideas where this is if I need it? I think now as I have discovered the 'co-pilot' adjustment that at high speed this might fix the steering pull arm ache that I had last time.

I haven't been out for about a month now. Will on Friday on the Thames!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0092[1].jpg
Views:	186
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	111209   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0089[1].jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	111210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0091[1].jpg
Views:	271
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	111211   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0095[1].jpg
Views:	271
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	111212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0099[1].jpg
Views:	222
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	111213  

Old 12 March 2016, 11:45   #165

Knob on tiller

This is the picture missing from above re tiller knob question.

Also, do I need to grease the prop stick and does it look ok without any grease as it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0097[1].jpg
Views:	272
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	111214  
Old 12 March 2016, 15:36   #166

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi FR hope all is well down your way.

The tiller knob is throttle friction... from spring back to idle... or stay at set posn.

The prop spline should be greased.

Not seen a nylon nut on any of my outboards up to 25hp but guess it could be the right one. I always carry a spare so perhaps get a new one and fit that whatever it's made of and keep this as a spare.

For steering trim if you look above the prop have you an anode that's like a little fin which can be moved around as required to steer a little??

Re that gasket yes it should be OK to swap for a new one. Not sure what that side plate is for... sure water is leaking from there?? If you have a go take huge care that the bolts don't snap due to being seized... if they feel very tight to undo think twice if you want to proceed.
Old 12 March 2016, 16:20   #167

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Never seen a prop nut like that always been castle nut and split pin or one small engine I had had a plastic nut with split pin, it might be a one shot nut I would find out before you use it if it's not tight it's no good and you will loose your prop.
Old 12 March 2016, 16:22   #168

Thank you Jeff and Fenlander
Old 12 March 2016, 16:32   #169

Seems your nylon one could be correct despite me not having seen one before....

Mercury 18 20 25 HP Nylon Prop Nut Fitting 11 88228 | eBay..
Old 12 March 2016, 16:37   #170

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Seems your nylon one could be correct despite me not having seen one before....

Mercury 18 20 25 HP Nylon Prop Nut Fitting 11 88228 | eBay..
It must be a one shot nut David what do you think ? not my cup of tea I must admit
Old 12 March 2016, 16:38   #171

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Firstrib .. I have the same outboard as you.. and do all my own servicing on it. Im not an expert though..so take what you want from my post...and ignore the rest

There is only the nylon nut holding on my prop too..its never failed or slipped in its 10 years of life. Be careful not to over torque it or the threads may strip. Like you..I used to wonder why there was no castle nut and pin.. but I don’t worry now..and its served me well.

The cover is the exhaust manifold cover..and as such..water can leak out the gasket. I would be inclined to investigate it ..if water can leak out it..can it also leak into the cylinders ? See note below the diagram from my workshop manual. Looking at your photo of the cover..I would think someone has had that cover off already ? ....three bolt heads look new..the others have paint scraped off..so they should come out fairly easy ?

The trim tab you discuss .. is above the prop.. and the reason it is there is stated in this diagram...and how to adjust it too.

Hope that helps some ..enjoy the outboard ..it should be very reliable.. I have never had any issues with mine...and it has done a mile or three ..in some rough weather too.
Old 12 March 2016, 16:39   #172

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I guess the OB designers know what they are doing but a nylon nut does not seem right, Nyloc - yes - I'd get one of those with the correct thread.
Old 12 March 2016, 16:44   #173

I wonder if it is a metal thread in a nylon sheath? Otherwise yes one use to the correct torque and I think I'd want it swapped. Be so easy to strip out a nylon thread. My Mercury/Mariner 15hp models have been a fairly standard nyloc nut.

On holiday I carry I spare prop, two spare nuts, correct ring spanner and a block of wood to lock the prop... all in a packet within the anchor/ropes bag.
Old 12 March 2016, 16:50   #174

Nope Fenlander .. .no metal threads on mine.. its nylon..or at least a very hard plastic type stuff..

It is the original nut from the manufacturer too .. so its not a problem for me .. and I doubt Firstrib will have a problem with it either ?
Old 12 March 2016, 16:53   #175

RIBase
The nut might be similar to a axle nut which is elliptical and goes round on tightening it must be right, but for me I would fit a new one every time I took the prop off
Old 12 March 2016, 17:00   #176

Good call on the side plate Gurnard (BTW hope things are well you end). I realise it's the same plate I removed to clear the solidified salt in my old Mariner 4 last year. I could see the piston through the exhaust ports so it was a good opportunity to see it was in nice condition.
Old 12 March 2016, 17:17   #177

Hi Fenlander.. yup..Im doing fine ..been running round the hills lately..so not been around much. I have started servicing my outboards lately .. so shouldnt be long till I get one of the smaller SIBs on the water.

I checked the manual for the prop nut.. but it is very vague and doesnt say what it is made of or even the torque setting for it. Nor does it say renew every time. ? Its a big manual though..so I will try to look though it else where. I confess .. wouldnt know nylon from nyloc though..but its not made of wummins tights ..if that helps I was using the "nylon" word loosely

I know I take it off every year and same one has gone back on. Its a 2006 year outboard..so not new... and I have had no issues..but Im not saying Im correct as I dont know. I presumed it was ok..as the prop when spinning in use..would tend to tighten the nut..not throw it off ?

If Im wrong..feel free to correct me..as I mentioned..Im not an engine expert..but I do use mine a lot
Old 12 March 2016, 18:07   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I guess the OB designers know what they are doing but a nylon nut does not seem right, Nyloc - yes - I'd get one of those with the correct thread.

Opps ..just noticed ....I see you are still as pendantic as ever Max.. So I will return the favour

Quote from web site linked below for the part if Firstrib wants to order a new one..they use the word Nylon too..is that Nyloc ?

A Special Molded Nylon Prop nut Fitting The 18/20/25 Hp. 2-Cycle
Mercury/Mariner Outboards (1980 & newer)
And The F9.9/15, 323cc BigFoot FourStroke Outboards.

Black Dog Marine. Outboard, Inboard Parts And Accessories
Old 12 March 2016, 18:14   #179

RIBase
Hi gurnard

good to hear your back around I must say the nut is a new one on me I guess the way it works is the threads are slightly different so the nylon thread compresses into the steel thread on the shaft to hold and is just nipped up enough to keep the prop tight.

Cheers

Just found out the thread doesn't go all the way as in the pic the bit at the end serves as a nylock so it will be just nipped to stop the thread stripping if doesn't stay tight it's kn--cked I would change every time I took it off OMO that bit
Old 12 March 2016, 18:20   #180

Hi Jeff.. Im still catching up on stuff on here .. .but I see you are going to ERR with your SIB. ..and will be there for a week ? I wont go the ERR course..but will try to get down to visit you when you are at Balvicar..and bring my SIB too.. if weather allows. I want to see some things on Jura ..so perhaps we can go round it in company ? I will contact you via this forum nearer the time

Sorry for going off topic First Rib..hopefully your questions have been answered now

I will add..the nut is tight ..quite a bit..all manual says is..Place a block of wood between gear case and propeller..and tighten prop nut.

Sometimes manuals have a table with torque setting for all the nuts n bits..but I have not come across it yet

Tags
rib