MMSI: 235914577
Is this trolley any good Trailers ?
Old 12 January 2016, 00:00   #122

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25HP
Saw this which I think is the answer! Easy load into the Ford KA, but may need I think a roofrack then to fit in the boat or it goes in the front seat.
Old 12 January 2016, 00:10   #123

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
First re inflation... inflate each tube section in turn until it's full but no pressure (still a little crinkly) then go round and take each to full pressure... actually I'm a bit OCD and do this in three gradual steps. This will preserve the life of the internal baffles.

Yes the valves are supposed to leak by a little with the caps being the final seal.

Re wheels... is it the strong buoyancy making them awkward? If so half fill each inner tube with water... that will make it easier. Another option is to buy smaller wheel/tyres from somewhere like Machine Mart. They will still roll well on the slipway but have far less buoyancy (you do need to make sure the axle bore is correct).

My flip up Trem wheels just need one pin removing to take the leg off when you pack the boat away and this leaves a small bracket each side on the transom. I put a bit of foam over this as I fold the cone ends in to protect the tubes. Have a look at post #23 in this thread for some images of mine...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/trem-hd...tec-69303.html

The only small thing against them compared to the OE wheels is their lack of length so you have to tilt the outboard right up.

Re that Rooteq trolley looks good if a bit pricey. I use this type which is good enough for a 15hp but a bit flimsy in truth...

http://maxipro.com.au/shop/images/outboard_trolley.jpg

Re speed... a 15hp will usually take an Aerotec to 18-19Kts. Others with a 25hp might comment but I'd have hoped for nearer 25Kts with your outboard... however I wonder what pitch prop you have? Should have that stamped on it or a part no. you could Google to find out.

Finally... we have been talking about Aerotec transom splash in another thread... do you get this at all at speed?
Old 12 January 2016, 00:26   #124

Oh yes I missed one thing re drying before packing away. 90% of our use is salt water so I unpack and inflate the boat at home the day after then wash it off... turning it over to drain then a final towel dry.

Anyway that's me done for the night!
Old 12 January 2016, 06:16   #125

Hey firstrib,

Just a word of warning that will save you some grief perhaps bud, those 12v batteries are way out their depth for starting/charging from engine and will probably either puff (piccy) or crack and leak gel if used with regularity.Those things need to be charged up slowly, normally no more than 1C (10% of capacity in other words or 1.2 amps in your case) ideally for longevity, hence they are sealed as little danger of puffing from intended use. Normally used in electric scooters, golf carts, UPS etc and a mains charger to charge them up again X amps depending on the capacity.

Personally I wouldn't connect it to the engine to charge nor start, better to get a small car or maybe a motorbike battery if that is your intentions. Those are designed for charging from an engine (alternator/rectifier) and the cranking over to start (thicker plates and acid versus gel typically).....they put a crank limit on them for a reason ofcourse, you would be wise not to ignore it.

Old 12 January 2016, 08:36   #126

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
24-25knts from my tohatsu 25. I'm not even sure I'm at the full rev range either. Need to sort my tach out for next trip but I think you can get a bit more. As David says prop. But also is you outboard straight onto the transom or have you raised it at all.
I'm new to all of this myself and there are lots af aspects that can affect performance the engine height being one of them.
If your outboard is too low with too much of the leg in the water it will create excessive drag which may stop you outboard from getting up to full revs ( I believe ). Others more qualified will be able to confirm.
Old 12 January 2016, 11:35   #127

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Wow! Somehow missed this entire thread (mainly due to the title!) but have to say a huge hats off to Firstrib - your determination and desire to get boating against many odds and to go about it completely the right way regarding training etc is tremendous and puts many of us fair-weather fairies to shame. Awesome!

As to set up with regard to engine height etc then check the link to Locozodiacs superb post on this in the 'which sib' topic. I've found the BAT a draggy boat and my 15 Merc only gets it up to 17-18kts max with around 160kg total load. Same as I used to get on a 340 (flat floor) Zodiac with a Tohatsu 9.8. I don't think a 25 will see 25 kts but maybe 23?

For the best handling make sure it is trimmed right and IMHO a tiller extension is essential in most SIB's (definitely the BAT) to get you piloting it from mid-ships. Weight in the bow is needed too.
Old 17 January 2016, 19:16   #128

Had a look out today on the river Tyne to try a few things and clocked 25knts going down the river and 23 coming back up using mx mariner.
Anyway, I just thought I would post this pic of the fuel bag in situ. Not the best angle to show the deck space but I'm sure you get the idea Firstrib.
I know what it's like with the tank getting under your feet when on the seat, bit of a mare.
These bags hold around 22 litres.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1453061005.880618.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	110398
Old 22 January 2016, 21:44   #129

Durbrus, thanks for the photo and warning here. I will definitely review my use of the 12AH battery. I won't charge from it at all from now on and will keep it for the HP air pump and only the occasional start.
Old 22 January 2016, 21:45   #130

Hi SteveM thank you for the picture, this looks good. What is the make of the fuel bag?
Old 22 January 2016, 21:45   #131

Max thank you, voyage no 3 tomorrow, on the Thames eastbound towards the sea.
Old 22 January 2016, 22:11   #132

Hi Fenlander, sorry for the delay in responding, flat out at work with projects. I think I have got to 23 knots at the turn of the tide, so no help either way. I am still a novice with the outboard and think I only managed to lock it down properly on the second half of my second trip two weeks ago so it was probably bobbing around or slightly out of the water on the shallow water setting for some of my trips so far! Not good!

I don't know about the pitch of the prop as yet, can't face lugging it out of the rabbit hutch, the whole motor is such a beast to move and I have another disaster story about the trolley, the Motor Totor which looked so good, is great if you have a larger car boot, probably a standard size car or estate. It doesn't actually fit in the Ford Ka, or through my narrow flat doors. So I need to re-sell it or give it to a good owner. It is a superb piece of kit if you have a garage and estate car, with the two air filled wheels plus the two on the handle to pop it into the boot and it is so sturdy and folds up. and https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...H3JIuE0RReM%3A - any use to you?

I need to get a new trolley again, I like this one which seems good on space without huge gaps between the base and propeller, problem is it sold in Australia only: Motor Trolley - Almac Trailers back to the challenges of the Ford Ka I have to crack the trolley question next and a small shed in the alleyway to keep the motor and perhaps if not too cold the PCV Bombard Aerotec, perhaps with the frost heater moved from the rabbit hutch to the new mini shed!

When it was locked down well in place, I didn't get much spray in the boat, it is on a setting which when sped up brings the bow of the boat down, so slightly at an angle which I think adds extra drag but better when just one in the boat.

I think I will struggle on with the wheels I have, they are good. I have assumed, rightly or wrongly that I should turn off the motor when I have launched and am taking off the wheels? This means I have to paddle and not run aground or crash before they are up, or as I did before, find the post of a jetty and tie up. I bent one of the U shaped wheel mount sockets when it slipped of as I didn't know which way around to fix it, so glad I had a wrench to free it using it like a hammer, a down point I the trip.

Thanks for the tips on inflation.

Couple of quick questions as always if ok. I have discovered the knurled nut on the fuel gauge relieves the pressure of the fuel tank when going along to keep it from having a vacuum and stalling. Should I store the tank with the valve open or closed? I left it closed in cold weather and petrol somehow seems to have leaked out in the garden. Also, can it be kept with petrol in freezing temperatures in the garden? I have a second tank as backup now and clip on adaptors for my long voyage, although it might be too crowded with two tanks.

Finally, I am worried about fire, I guess if the tank or fuel catches alight, that is it for the boat and I just need to jump out but is it worth having a powder fire extinguisher?
Old 22 January 2016, 23:29   #133

Those trolleys are perfect for a van... or people carrier/large estate if you have the seats folded and not much else in there so the outboard can be nicely wheeled in on the handle wheels to sit fore/aft. We don't fold our seats to carry the packed Aerotec so it sits crossways pushed hard into the estate area. Then the only place for the outboard is crossways at the rear of the estate area.

If we had a vehicle that would take one of those trolleys I'd probably give a 20/25hp a go.

Yes one up does get lively if the bow gets in the air but an Aerotec does seem to catch less breeze than a flatter bottom SIB.

Yes for safety I'd not be leaning over the transom with my hands in the water by the prop with the motor running... even in neutral. I use slipways into quiet water 99.9% of the time so the launch is relaxed and I probably have a different procedure with the OE (when I had them) wheels like yours to others. I walk into the water when launching and as soon as the SIB floats the wheels off the bottom I take them off while standing in the water by the boat... then remove them to the car or put into the stowed position as needed. So I've not tried removing/fitting by leaning over from in the boat.

I travel fuel tanks in the car with the air vent tightly closed but when stored in the garage I might open the vent a little to stop large temp changes blowing out or sucking in the tank.

A fire extinguisher can never be a bad thing but I don't carry one. Probably the most likely time to have an ign of fuel/vapour is topping up a tank from a can in the boat so I never do this. For longer runs I carry a 25l and a 12l tank so swapping connectors is a spill free process.
Old 22 January 2016, 23:48   #134

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Re trolley send an email to gecko trailers in Cornwall they make Ali trailers and stands very reasonable and might do a motor trolley

http://www.geckotrailers.co.uk

PS re fire you are surrounded by water...... What ever is on fire throw over the side (on a small sib) apart from fuel tank not much else is flammable........
Old 23 January 2016, 06:44   #135

Hi Firstrib, its an avon flexible fuel bag.
Old 24 January 2016, 08:14   #136

Thanks HDAV and Steve M. Fenlander too.

Trip 3, voyage 2 on the Thames. Fulham to Woolwich. Bit hairy on the U bend around Canary Wharf, very choppy, at one point sat down in the boat when smashing into the waves. The Aerotec feels very solid even so. I am very pleased with it. It was exciting to radio through to the Thames Barrier control asking for permission to pass through and to see the Tate an Lyle factory and gas tankers further towards the sea. Used a whole fuel tank and am pleased I have a second now and may get a third or the Avon fuel bag for further longer trips. I think I went about 30 miles return trip. Current around Southwalk bridge and from Tower Bridge to London Bridge was quite strong, but not problem for the Aerotec and 25HP. I am pleased with the 25HP.

Three incidents and major learning points this trip:

1. When I launched, wheels last, I didn't get deep enough before taking them off, bent the wheels, damaged the transom and sheered off a bolt, so ordering a new one.

2. Couldn't get the motor to start as new fuel line with clips was on the wrong way with the arrow the wrong way, couldn't work out why the fuel bulb didn't feel hard, took an experienced guy who happened to be around, to help me

3. Stupid error, the front rope must have leapt out of the boat when hitting the waves and I couldn't work out, when in Fulham, why it kept stalling. It had gone under the boat and wrapped around the propeller. Used a knife to cut it from the front and free it. Thankfully I had the knife thanks to the postings here on 'what to carry on a boat' type post.

Fenlander - I got it up to 24 knots with the tilted transom still, I still haven't got the prop pitch or ref number, next time! There is no wash inside the boat now I actually lock the motor properly! Against the tide it was hard to get above 19 knots. It planes at around 7-8 knots which is good as for some of the Thames there is an 8 knot limit and some there is 12 and beyond the Thames Barrier (up a little more) there is none.

Lights on the transom for me next, proper battery holder, my battery nearly fell in, loving charging the tablet (now in a waterproof bag) with the battery via cigarette lighter adaptation. I don't charge the battery from the boat.

I will try and upload some photos.
Old 24 January 2016, 08:21   #137

Fulham to Woolwich

Some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160123-WA0003.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	110463   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0470.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	110464   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0488.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	110465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0499.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	110466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0520.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	110467  

Old 24 January 2016, 10:19   #138

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
That's fantastic, I go past so many of those sites regularly and always wanted to do that trip but you're a brave man on that stretch of water. Would love to get a group together to do this one day.

You're sitting on the wrong side though!
Old 24 January 2016, 10:24   #139

Hi Max, although it was a little rough, it was within the risk allowable. It would be great to go as a flotilla - I want to go to Southend from Fulham! I now have access to the public drawdock in Fulham from the council for free.

Sitting on the wrong side? Help me out - the tiller is on the port side, are you saying I should sit on the starboard side and operate with my left hand instead of my right from port side as in picture? Never thought of it.
Old 24 January 2016, 10:49   #140

I haven't actually got a complete manual (Volume 1 of 2 only) for this boat

Tags
rib