Old 05 June 2018, 20:18   #301

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I like to think I'm reasonably practical and love tinkering in the 'shed' making stuff and thinking ways round problems - but having read that BAT re-glue topic Fen' linked there is no way I would personally contemplate it either.

I'd cut my losses - sell as is to get what you can and start again with a newer BAT or any old boat really. No need to spend lots - over the years so many killer bargain SIB's have been spotted on eBay or wherever - old school Avons or Zodiacs that will outlast all the BATs on here. It's a crazy thought as you don't have the space but if you did find some and some cash in the short term then start buying outfits and splitting them. You can easily make anything from a few hundred to a lot more spotting cheap SIB/engine/trailer/accessory outfits and splitting them up. Just have to look hard and spot the good from the bad, get in quick, clean them up, write a good ad and off you go!
Old 05 June 2018, 20:21   #302

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Happier times on the Solent

Cant post 142GB video sadly
Old 05 June 2018, 20:32   #303

Hi Max, yes I like the idea of the more rugged Zodiacs and Avons that fold up, with a bit of a V shaped hull, and I really like the idea of 50HP, with a larger trolley! I could accommodate the trolley, in the garden.

My restriction is wheeling the outboard down 4 stairs and into the garden at the back of the flat and carrying the kit out to the car. Use a rooteq trolley at the moment, I would need an electric caddy or something and a ramp with a 50HP but could make one!. I want more power, more stability, more more more. I usually have one friend to help me with the kit. I want to own a RIB really but not pay mooring fees and don't have a driveway and love the portability of the Aerotec. I love the efficiency. I wonder if the newer Aerotecs have plastic welding, I thought they did, but some have catamaran type skis.
Old 06 June 2018, 06:50   #304

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>wonder if the newer Aerotecs have plastic welding,..

The basic construction of the important parts hasn't changed in 20yrs. The tubes being all welded and the transom/floor being hand glued. Some of the previously glued minor fittings look welded rather than glued on the latest ones.

Remember this isn't just an Aerotec issue but any glued PVC SIB. It gets talked about more with Aerotecs as they hold their value well so ones that folks have paid a fair bit for can quickly creep into the glue failure risk age range which makes it more of a frustration.
Old 06 June 2018, 07:12   #305

>>>So I need more glue repairs, Fenlander, I can't begin to entertain the glue repair that you shared as I haven't got the patience or time or equipment and can see it going wrong and never floating again. Any ideas...

I would not use it as is.

If you are going to consider having it re-glued get quotes from repairers on the understanding they do a full floor/transom strip and re-assemble as factory built... and that you expect a 10+yr life from the repairs. This may be more money than you'd be prepared to throw at it.

Consider Max's plan of selling as a repair project and getting another Aerotec but aim for 10yrs newer to take yourself well away from glue issues.

Sell as-is and buy another make of SIB. But what to buy? Ideally (or essentially) you will need an air floor for your circumstances which only leaves you Honwave 3.8ie and similar clones with the V high pressure floor. I would not bother with any of the flat HP floor models with your OB size and use.... even if there was one rated to 25hp and I don't think there is.

As usual with SIB choices.... decisions decisions!
Old 09 June 2018, 09:54   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>So I need more glue repairs, Fenlander, I can't begin to entertain the glue repair that you shared as I haven't got the patience or time or equipment and can see it going wrong and never floating again. Any ideas...

I would not use it as is.

If you are going to consider having it re-glued get quotes from repairers on the understanding they do a full floor/transom strip and re-assemble as factory built... and that you expect a 10+yr life from the repairs. This may be more money than you'd be prepared to throw at it.

Consider Max's plan of selling as a repair project and getting another Aerotec but aim for 10yrs newer to take yourself well away from glue issues.

Sell as-is and buy another make of SIB. But what to buy? Ideally (or essentially) you will need an air floor for your circumstances which only leaves you Honwave 3.8ie and similar clones with the V high pressure floor. I would not bother with any of the flat HP floor models with your OB size and use.... even if there was one rated to 25hp and I don't think there is.

As usual with SIB choices.... decisions decisions!
Reluctantly I am now considering a replacement and newer Aerotec. I love the V and the bolo at in general, it is best in class and don't think anything any bigger is going to work with the flat set up.
Old 09 June 2018, 10:24   #307

Length: 5m +
Got me wondering... why does the glue last so well on the old Hypalon Zodiacs and Avons yet appears to have a shorter lifespan on the PVC boats like the Aerotec?
Old 09 June 2018, 11:39   #308

>>> why does the glue last so well on the old Hypalon Zodiacs and Avons yet appears to have a shorter lifespan on the PVC boats like the Aerotec?

As I understand it the chemical bond between glue and PVC material is weakened when the glue is softened due to the plasticizer in the PVC migrating to the surface of the material over the years. I think this plasticizer is initially removed when the surface is solvent cleaned immediately prior to gluing. Factors such as age, heat and humidity add together to speed the problem.

Hypalon glue is of course different and the material itself must be more stable.
Old 09 June 2018, 11:44   #309

>>>Reluctantly I am now considering a replacement and newer Aerotec.

Firstrib if the Aerotec works for you on the water then it is probably the best option to stick with that combo.

Just make sure you make a worthwhile jump in years to push the glue issue away as long as possible.
Old 09 June 2018, 12:19   #310

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Firstrib, if this http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78679 is still available I would've thought the outboard would sell for £1.5k or thereabouts leaving you the purchase cost of £1.5k for a two year old boat.

It's been discussed here so if available and you don't mind a bit of speculating that could be a good option, Fulham delivery option too so saves on fuel for your upgraded Ka

You might even like the outfit and decide to sell your two stroke 25hp which should make £800-£1200??

Maybe get some feedback on my rough costs above from other forum members..
Old 09 June 2018, 21:43   #311

Hi Yaba, yes I spotted it and have sent a message, you are affirming my thoughts, as is Fenlander and a close friend, to stick with what I have got and know. There is just nothing like an Aerotec V when crashing through the Solent chop or Thames waves at Southwalk and Canary Wharf.
Old 30 June 2018, 09:06   #312

So happy, have a ('new') 2 year old Bombard Aerotec 380 replacement with no glue issues! So back on the river/sea. Selling spare motor here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-2...y/332703992046
Old 30 June 2018, 09:23   #313

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstrib View Post
So happy, have a ('new') 2 year old Bombard Aerotec 380 replacement with no glue issues! So back on the river/sea. Selling spare motor here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-2...y/332703992046

What did you do with the old one that needed repairing?
Old 30 June 2018, 11:37   #314

Hi Dave, I have to sell for anyone interested in a reglue project
Old 06 August 2018, 10:15   #315

On holiday in Lake Como and saw this inflatable with a deep V and a small console looks quite portable, anyone know what it is?
Old 06 August 2018, 10:18   #316

I cant post will post when home
Old 17 October 2019, 11:28   #317

I am now on my second Bombard Aerotec. This one is 2016. Sits so much better in the water without the need for a splash guard. With this kit, on the Solent, one up, two tanks and luggage, wind and waves behind me, 25hp, I achieved my fastest ever speed a terrifying 25 knots and held on the tiller for dear life. I continue to love sibbing but couldn't get across the wave bar beyond Totland Bay for the Needles too scary.
Old 17 October 2019, 11:29   #318

Photo to follow in due course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstrib View Post
I am now on my second Bombard Aerotec. This one is 2016. Sits so much better in the water without the need for a splash guard. With this kit, on the Solent, one up, two tanks and luggage, wind and waves behind me, 25hp, I achieved my fastest ever speed a terrifying 25 knots and held on the tiller for dear life. I continue to love sibbing but couldn't get across the wave bar beyond Totland Bay for the Needles too scary.
Old 17 October 2019, 13:47   #319

Good to hear you are still about Firstrib and now with an Aerotec that will last many years without tying the transom on with rope!
Old 30 October 2021, 15:28   #320

Must get back on the boat! Still going strong, job today is fixing a very slow small stone made hole in the 11.2PSI white floor near but not on the seal of the inflation hole

Tags
rib