Old 09 May 2014, 16:09   #41

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randominbread View Post
Hi max is the zodiac and mercury still for sale? Is the engine 2 or 4 stroke and how much does it weigh?
PM on the way, don't want to hijack the thread any more...
Old 09 May 2014, 21:32   #42

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Just noticed this thread and people saying you need big hp to waterski I used to ski behind my pal's bombard aerotec with a 25 and im 6'4"&13 stone
It wasnt electrifying but easily dooable with 2 skis
Depends on your skiing ability and wether you want to mono or not iirc it used to bog out if I tried to lift one ski to drop one off
Probably a 30hp 2cyl 2stroke yam would be the ideal engine for you as its the same engine as the 25hp
Old 10 May 2014, 17:17   #43

Town: Surrey
Length: 4m +
Zodiac looks nice! Looked at Honwave today. Looked nice. Friend is dealer so can get good price. Question is at 3.8 m would I need 10hp or 15-20. I would like to get it on the plane with 3-4 people.
Old 10 May 2014, 18:11   #44

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
With a HonWave T38, 10hp would not be enough and for 3-4 people you are right on the edge. It might plane with a 15hp, depending on actual weight of passengers, kit, wind and sea state. But to be sure to plane you need a 20hp.

T38 is a great choice, solid boat, big tubes, good internal space and excellent resale value. At around 40% of the price of a new Bombard 380, it makes a lot of sense. My advice is always go for the biggest engine option, you can always use less power in normal use but it has the grunt if you really need it. I do however understand that a new 4 stroke 20hp weighs the same as Big Ben, so compromise may be needed if carrying it by hand.
Old 10 May 2014, 18:16   #45

Not sure if you're talking air or solid?

Some poor reports of 3.8m airfloors on here, a step too far and floppy, wallowing etc - with definite exception of Aerotec. Stick to that or 3.4 flat airfloor.

A 3.8 solid floor is a heavy old boat, you'd probably want a 25 minimum in one of those 3 or 4 up, forget a 9.8 or even 15. At that length you're borderline RIB territory. Again run a search for loads of previous topics on all this.
Old 10 May 2014, 18:22   #46

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Not sure if you're talking air or solid?

Some poor reports of 3.8m airfloors on here, a step too far and floppy, wallowing etc - with definite exception of Aerotec. Stick to that or 3.4 flat airfloor.

A 3.8 solid floor is a heavy old boat, you'd probably want a 25 minimum in one of those 3 or 4 up, forget a 9.8 or even 15. At that length you're borderline RIB territory. Again run a search for loads of previous topics on all this.
Id agree with this an aerotec is probably the closest you will get to a rib
My pal had a 15 on his to start and it was ok but he soon changed to a 25

Ive also been in 3.8 flat airfloor boats and they seem to twist along their length
Old 10 May 2014, 18:37   #47

The 3.8 Honda is a V air floor, it isnt as good as the Bombard (I have had both) but at £900 V £2400 for an Aerotech I can see the attraction and would live with its limitations if I couldnt stretch to a Bombard.

The key with all the airfloors, especially the V versions, is get the right pressure. A Bravo electric pump is worth its weight in gold. When I owned the Honwave I used a foot pump and at times was less than impressed with the floor. I have since tried one that had been pumped up (in the water) by an auto pump, it made a huge difference for the better.

Having said all that, I would probably buy the used Bombard with the Selva thats been knocking about on Ebay for a few weeks. I know the Selva isnt great, but at the price he wants its a cheap way to get into a 380
Old 10 May 2014, 18:45   #48

How much does it weigh? Would two people be okay to lift it?
Old 10 May 2014, 19:02   #49

Do the 3.8 is floppy with an air floor? We are looking to carry 2-4 people. Could I go smaller? Use would be spearfishing and fishing, cove cruising. Need to decide on boat. Thought air deck was my best option if packing away
Old 10 May 2014, 20:35   #50

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend-warrior View Post
Do the 3.8 is floppy with an air floor? We are looking to carry 2-4 people. Could I go smaller? Use would be spearfishing and fishing, cove cruising. Need to decide on boat. Thought air deck was my best option if packing away
Used my Aerotec 380/Yam 15hp for fishing & cruising with my 2 lads. A great package for inshore fun. Providing the air pressure was correct, the 'v' hull air deck got the aerotec on the plane with little fuss, although never used it for towing.
Transportation in the boot of the car, 20 minutes to set up and an easy launch with launch wheels. Do not consider anything smaller if you are considering carrying 2-4 people
Old 10 May 2014, 22:06   #51

Not fussed about towing. Just want best air deck boat to vary 3-4 on plane. I thought Honwave was the one but some saying a 3.8 it's a bit flimsy
Old 10 May 2014, 22:20   #52

Search, search, search! Spend an evening or two scanning back over this specific (SIB) forum from past couple of years and you'll find countless hundreds of posts on all these options.
Old 10 May 2014, 22:47   #53

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend-warrior View Post
Not fussed about towing. Just want best air deck boat to vary 3-4 on plane. I thought Honwave was the one but some saying a 3.8 it's a bit flimsy

Plenty of threads on here regards this subject.

The Aerotec 380 is anything but flimsy, its simply the best sib out there
Old 11 May 2014, 07:35   #54

Better than the Honwave?
Old 11 May 2014, 09:18   #55

The Honwave is a good boat, and with the right pressure in the floor it performs well, but when fully loaded and with the bigger engine options, you will get some 'ballooning' in the rear of the air floor. Its not a problem, but its not perfect.

The Bombard 380 is in a league of its own for V air floors, actually its all the zodiac group boats that are in a league of there own. The floor in the Bombard is completely rigid, even at full load and speed (The Zodiac Futura FR is just as good, but flat floored and not quite as good in chop). The Bombard 380 is pretty much the best fully portable sports sib out there.

But perfection isnt cheap, a new 380 is a lot more expensive than the Honwave. If you can stretch to a new 380,its the way to go or If you are quite handy and dont mind the odd repair, buy a used Bombard for the same money as a new Honwave. If you want new and budget is £1k, buy a Honwave, I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Old 11 May 2014, 10:50   #56

What is ballooning? Looks like it's the Honwave or the bombard.
Old 11 May 2014, 11:20   #57

The pressure of the water under the hull pushes the V floor upwards, you end up with a hump at the back of the boat.

As I said its not dangerous and really only happens on decent boats if you have an under inflated floor or have the biggest engine at WOT and a full boat. Its a well known problem with all V floor boats, some are better than others, the Bombard is the best by a country mile.

All boats are a compromise and you will never find perfection, its doesnt matter how much money you have you always have to make some compromises. Even Eclipse had compromises with her hull design (to fit the underwater doors for the sub allegedly ).

The trick is to buy a well respected brand (all of the ones named over the thread meet this requirement) and then if you dont like it or fancy a change you can sell at very little loss.
Old 11 May 2014, 12:07   #58

Town: Oop North
The only boats to steer clear of, if you intend fitting a transom mounted transducer for a fish finder, are the ones with the extended trim tabs.

But as I say, only if you want to fit a Fish finder.
Old 11 May 2014, 12:10   #59

Good to know thank you! Anyone know of a show that has a lot of SIBS that could be tried. What's the routine after finishing for the day. Do they need to be sprayed down with freshwater.
Old 11 May 2014, 12:46   #60

Town: Oop North
Quote:
What's the routine after finishing for the day.

I take every thing out, flush the engine, tilt the boat up on its cones and hose it down. Let it dry off, whilst filleting the fish and put every thing away.

Tags
rib