Old 15 December 2008, 21:31   #1

Town: newcastle
Make: excel
Length: 4m +
which material should i choose

hello im a newbie here looking for advice on the material used on many of the sibs, is pvc sib suitable for 4 divers ive got my eye on quicksilver hd 380/430 i need your help here,im off to the boats show in january to see them in the flesh before i buy thanks in advance
Old 15 December 2008, 22:31   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by webber View Post
hello im a newbie here looking for advice on the material used on many of the sibs, is pvc sib suitable for 4 divers ive got my eye on quicksilver hd 380/430 i need your help here,im off to the boats show in january to see them in the flesh before i buy thanks in advance
If only will be used during summer, not heavyly used all year round, buy any heavy duty 420/430 aluminum floor PVC sib to suit your needs, Hypalon is very expensive, let pros/cons wallet decide. Mercury/Quicksilver are good alternative priced boats. Ask Quicksilver if PVC heavy duty boats is same material as used on standard sibs in terms of material thickness, maybe 0.9 mm standard one, 1,1 mm heavy duty one. Would be advisable a thicker fabric on heavy duty ones. A 380 is too small for 4 divers + gear. Get a nice 30 HP engine.

Happy Sibbing
Old 15 December 2008, 22:31   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I'm sure PVC will be fine but I'm not so sure about 4 divers and their kit in a 3.8mtr sib. I sounds a little cosy to me.
Old 15 December 2008, 22:43   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I'm sure PVC will be fine but I'm not so sure about 4 divers and their kit in a 3.8mtr sib. I sounds a little cosy to me.
4+cox in a 430 is going to be pretty snug too

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2008, 18:24   #5

Town: newcastle
Make: excel
peeveecee

by the way try 6 divers fully kitted on a 3mtr rib now thats scary , my main concern is its abrasion toughness i dont want to end up having to put patches all over it after one summers use,also what do you think about non branded boats if there all using the same type of pvc should i look at trying to save some money,
Old 16 December 2008, 19:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by webber View Post
by the way try 6 divers fully kitted on a 3mtr rib now thats scary , my main concern is its abrasion toughness i dont want to end up having to put patches all over it after one summers use,also what do you think about non branded boats if there all using the same type of pvc should i look at trying to save some money,
Don't save little money, go for a reputed brand that offers a warranty, but ask material specs before buying diving sibs would be my recommendation.

According to my experience as a importer, all of the manufacturer's make their pvc sibs up to 460 meters in pvc 0.9 mm/1000 denier. The only way to make a heavy duty PVC sib is to buil it at the factory on a direct order purchase if the factory is willing to give you that option.

Have all fabric samples, PVC, Akron, Hypalon, all comes in different thicknes so to compare. In my particular case, to offer a better product to my clients and kill competitors on the way, my sibs are PVC 1.2 mm/1650 decitex made, thick material, used to build large ribs, the difference price is so small about 12% more compared to 0.9 mm. Hypalon same sibs & sizes are extremely priced.

That's why was recommending to ask Mercury (Quicksilver) 430 Heavy Duty PVC thickness defore buying as same Hypalon model are much expensive, and built with not necesarily thicker fabric than 0.0/1.0 mm.

Keep in mind that sib manufacturesr wants to access worlwide markets with good prices, and that doesn't tell you a thing about material thickness. A matter of inquiring.

Happy Sibbing
Old 17 December 2008, 09:25   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I agree, 4 divers, their kit and skipper in a Quicksilver 430 is going to be as tight as a gnat's chaff!

In anything but calm conditions - this will not be an easy task, unless dive spot is close.

If your budget allows - look at Zodiac 9-Man Pro RIB with 60-75hp engine and cylinder rack for bottles. Still snug, but probably better suited for the job.

Material is PVC but comes with 5 year warranty.
Old 17 December 2008, 09:26   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Should have mentioned - (Pro 9 Man) boat is 4.7m in length.
Old 18 December 2008, 18:58   #9

You still have the option of the Quicksilver Heavy Duty PVC or Hypalon 530 model, intended for 8 persons, so 4 divers + skipper will work fine (or get rid of the skipper) so to have just 4 divers. Can place a nice 40-50 Hp engine. Although the Zodiac Pro is a great option, will asume the price doesn't, a matter to inquire, compare brands pros-cons and decide.

Which one you finally choose, will be convenient to protect the tubes with canvas, thick towels, covers or whatever suited material you can find to place on top of floor & tubes, to avoid excessive abrassion inning, outting from sib while diving procedures.

Happy Sibbing