Old 14 July 2013, 21:22   #41

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I think we're getting slightly carried away here. The OP was about dragging a small inflatable up a beach, not debogging a monster truck!
True, but as a general principle, a tow ball should only be used with a trailer coupler and never as an anchor point. Always be cautious when ropes cables or straps are being used for pulling or hoisting a load (even if manually). Do whatever you can to stay of the direct line of whatever is being pulled.

Peter C - excellent explanation, I think people are unaware of just how much energy braided steel cable can store when under load. Even come-alongs can be extremely dangerous.
Old 14 July 2013, 21:55   #42

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
Has anyone used the sky winch?
Old 14 July 2013, 22:20   #43

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_st View Post
Has anyone used the sky winch?
I've got nowhere with that one, no reviews or trade articles that I can find on the web.

Spent Saturday at our local beach, my (small) 10 yr old and me pulled the zodiac up on its launch wheels no probs so we really are talking a light loading for a winch if I move up to a 75 kg SIB from the Zodiac at 30 kg so so.

Was interesting to see all the different people recovering from jetski teams with planks to eight guys lifting up a whole RIB with engine and running to most people using ropes and driving a few feet at a time in many stages.

I'm greatful for all the suggestions, I think for me a simple standard winch or the Skywinch would be the best all round budget solution.

I'm a long time Landy nut and done a fair amount of off road driving but not specifically with winches but a few recoveries with other vehicles so aware of all the safety aspects. As I say though this is 100kg max of SIB up a stony beach not 2.5 tonnes of 110 from a bomb hole thank goodness.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:23   #44

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I think we're getting slightly carried away here. The OP was about dragging a small inflatable up a beach, not debogging a monster truck!
I agree and that is what I did mention in my post above yours, but since asked why not a trailer ball I provided an explanation of the extreme end which is why they say to never use the ball as a tow point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
A continuous load situation is one thing where it is loaded with 500lbs or so.
There are lots of options to the OP, but most all carry a pretty high cost. Might be cheaper to buy (Invest in) some beer and have a guy...errr drunk sit on shore and wait for your return to help you get the boat back up the beach

A removable plug in receiver hitch winch with a remote control is probably your best bet since it is a short run. The lower the power rating the better since it won't be working hard. Of course if you ever got your truck stuck you might appreciate an 8,000lb winch. I have a winch I paid $39 that I built a receiver hitch mount for. It plugs into my car or my hauling trailer to provide a pull when needed, and has a key fob remote control.

The cheapest option would be to get a set of frontal wheels and just have one person drive the truck forward pulling the boat up the beach while the second person steers it along.

We have one launch site I can use my trailer right up until low tide, then I attach my launch wheels and pull it up the ramp with a 1/2" dock line tied off to something like my trailer or my ball hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	156965F-f.jpg
Views:	2052
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	82886  
Old 15 July 2013, 19:26   #45

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
SkyWinch and Static Climbing Rope.

NEW 1 2" X 46' Kernmantle Static Line Climbing Rope | eBay