Old 23 May 2013, 20:03   #1

Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
Which Engine for Zodiac 3.25m Fastroller?

Hi folks thought I'd better post after a few weeks lurking. Just done my PB2, bought LJ's and a handheld radio.

After much prevaricating and reading on here I've finally decided to order a 3.25m Zodiac Fastroller.

I'll be using it mainly for fishing trips along the South Coast. I was originally going for a Classic but as I can't have a trailer the weight saving of the Activ-V finally swung it. The internal space is actually much the same as the classic but I didn't realise the max recommended power for the 325 is only 8hp. (Max allowed 10hp).

Will that be sufficient for 2 up or will I be OK with a 9.8hp outboard?
Old 23 May 2013, 20:48   #2

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
interesting it's so low......you'd be good having a go with a Mariner 15 hp 2T, very light ( same as the 8 ) and v. sparky. My 285 runs an 8hp and is perfect planing with 2 adults, 170kg. Has a wood floor though.
Welcome anyway.
Old 23 May 2013, 20:55   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I'm a big fan of Zodiac Sibs, but I find the max hp for some of them a bit bonkers. Equivalent boats to yours (Suzamar, Honwave etc) have 15hp max, no idea why Zodiac would only permit 10hp ?

Back to your question, you can never have too much power, you can always use less of it. You don't say if you are looking for a new or used engine, if its new and 4 stroke I'm clueless, but I really think you would be better with a nice 2 stroke.

Try and find the best 2 stroke you can, the Tohatsu 9.8 would be my choice at 28kg. If you cant find one of those then a Yamaha or Mercury/Mariner 9,9hp would be next a bit heavier at 35/36kg. I know that the smaller Zodiac 310 planes easily with 2 big adults and a Yamaha 9.9hp, it will also just plane with an 8hp.
Old 23 May 2013, 20:57   #4

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I'll let you know on Saturday - maiden voyage of my 3.6m Fastroller and 9.9 Mariner 4-stroke.

I had started looking at 2.85FR and 6HP, then moved up the range... I am told that me and my 9 year old probably would have got the 3.6 on the plane with 6HP - I think it needs 12mph to plane and will remain on plane as low as 7-8mph. 3.6 will be easier to plane than 2.85 and 3.25. Not sure if 9.9 will get us on plane 3 up, but for us, that's not what it is about.
Old 23 May 2013, 21:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I'm a big fan of Zodiac Sibs, but I find the max hp for some of them a bit bonkers. Equivalent boats to yours (Suzamar, Honwave etc) have 15hp max, no idea why Zodiac would only permit 10hp ?

Back to your question, you can never have too much power, you can always use less of it. You don't say if you are looking for a new or used engine, if its new and 4 stroke I'm clueless, but I really think you would be better with a nice 2 stroke.

Try and find the best 2 stroke you can, the Tohatsu 9.8 would be my choice at 28kg. If you cant find one of those then a Yamaha or Mercury/Mariner 9,9hp would be next a bit heavier at 35/36kg. I know that the smaller Zodiac 310 planes easily with 2 big adults and a Yamaha 9.9hp, it will also just plane with an 8hp.
The 3.6m has a 15hp max and it's only 4kg heavier so I'm not sure why the 3.25m is only 10hp max.

I've been looking out for a Tohatsu 9.8, 2 stroke but no luck so far. I may go for a new one and the dealer is offering a good deal on a Mariner 9.9hp.
Old 23 May 2013, 21:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I'll let you know on Saturday - maiden voyage of my 3.6m Fastroller and 9.9 Mariner 4-stroke.

I had started looking at 2.85FR and 6HP, then moved up the range... I am told that me and my 9 year old probably would have got the 3.6 on the plane with 6HP - I think it needs 12mph to plane and will remain on plane as low as 7-8mph. 3.6 will be easier to plane than 2.85 and 3.25. Not sure if 9.9 will get us on plane 3 up, but for us, that's not what it is about.
Be good to hear about the Mariner and how you find the gear shift on the tiller.
Old 23 May 2013, 23:54   #7

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
We have a 30HP Merc with the gear shift on the tiller. In a few words, I would trade for a separate gear shift in a split second. It goes from forward to reverse with the prop still spinning forward too easily.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
We have a 30HP Merc with the gear shift on the tiller. In a few words, I would trade for a separate gear shift in a split second. It goes from forward to reverse with the prop still spinning forward too easily.
OK point noted.

Anyone have any other opinions of the tiller gear shift?
Old 24 May 2013, 12:59   #9

If I go for a new engine for peace of mind is it worth paying the premium for a yamaha or honda? Are they more reliable?
Old 24 May 2013, 14:19   #10

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaro View Post
If I go for a new engine for peace of mind is it worth paying the premium for a yamaha or honda? Are they more reliable?

We all have favorites but IMHO it doesnt matter which one you go for as long as its one of the premium brands. Yamaha, Mercury/Mariner, Suzuki, Honda & Tohatsu are all excellent.
Old 24 May 2013, 21:00   #11

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
2 stokes are a lot lighter than 4 strokes.
Depends on if you need to lift the outboard on and off.

I have a tohatsu 9.8 2S and at 26kg I can easily carry it. Took me a few months to find one though.
Old 24 May 2013, 22:18   #12

Mercury is made by Tohatsu in the smaller sizes and differs primarily by the tiller design. Great engines.
Old 25 May 2013, 01:15   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Mercury has portable models with standard side shifting too, seems not worldwide available, personally preffer the simple side shift models. Good to know there's issues while being in forward and reversing...

Happy Boating
Old 25 May 2013, 09:11   #14

The dealer I ordered the boat from just got a Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke in. £995 for a 2004 model. Could be just the ticket if it's in good nick.
Old 25 May 2013, 13:14   #15

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaro View Post
Be good to hear about the Mariner and how you find the gear shift on the tiller.
Just came back from maiden voyage and couple hours running in, including a couple of brief full throttle runs.

The engine and boat seemed the perfect combination. No issues with the gear shift on throttle, there is a noticeable resistance moving into gear from neutral and I don't think shifting through neutral will be done accidentally unless you are particularly aggressive with the throttle and forget which way to turn it.

The 9.9 4-stroke planed 2 1/2 up (approx 190kg + 10+ litres fuel + kit) on a relatively calm sea with ease. I think it topped out at just over 12 kts and as suggested, remained on the plane possibly right down to 1/2 throttle.

Not sure how longer length boat and extra torque of larger cc 4-stroke would make over a 3.25m 9.8 2-stroke. Personally i feel that the extra weight of the 4-stroke is probably insignificant compared to the 250-300kg overall weight of craft, engine, kit and persons.
Old 25 May 2013, 14:59   #16

IanH, glad to hear your run was successful.

We have the 30HP on a 17 ft heavy fiberglass, so what with wind, tidal flow and other factors, we have to get rough on the throttle while putting the craft on a trailer. That is when the tendancy to go in reverse before you want to becomes a pain. If you try to line up and approach the trailer gently, problems occur under some conditions. You should never get in that bind with an inflatable.

We also have a 9.8 Nisson which is built by Tohatsu which is a gem of an engine. It is used on a 285 Cadet FR which is actually too much power, but we had it for the 10 ft Avon. You have to be careful with the FR.

We lucked out and got a 15 HP Yamaha two stroke and the Nisson just before they were no longer for sale in this area. The Yamaha is actually too large for our inflatables, but it is used on a 14 ft fiberglass boat normally. We have many oyster beds in our home area, so we use the inflatables on trips to other waters.