Old 05 August 2016, 04:14   #31
Hi I agree with Mick - the anchor chain is very important. It ensures the anchor is keep flat / pulled in only a horizontal position ensuring it digs in as designed. Also it provides additional friction. For a 3.8 Ali floor sub with a 30 hp outboard I use a 5kg folding grapnel on 10m of chain then rope which allows a bit of stretch in it. I always make sure there's enough rope out so all the chains laying flat. Maybe overkill but never moved an inch.

chriswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2016, 13:35   #32
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
2kg Plastimo plough anchor for me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470422103006.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	114896  

chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2016, 10:38   #33
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by chriswood View Post
I always make sure there's enough rope out so all the chains laying flat. Maybe overkill but never moved an inch.
That will work. The chain does not have to completely lie on the bottom, as long as, when the largest pulling force (from wind, current, swell or a combination thereof) is applied, the working end (at the anchor) is still laying horizontal.

The problem with having all the chain on the bottom is that you will increase wear on the rope from rocks and such. Not a big deal, but it is something that should be inspected now and again.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2016, 03:46   #34
Town: Swansea
Make: HydroForce Nav Rapid
Length: under 3m
Engine: Johnson 4hp MY2000
So, 2k Bruce type on 3m chain and 30m rope in 10m of water with a lively flow and all was well, thanks for all the comments and advice guys.
Mae pob ar y Mr
AdrianTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2016, 16:37   #35
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I keep looking at cooper anchors then running away at the cost...... Anyone here use one?

Look great but awkward to stow?

Well sort of... I bought a smallish one, about 14inches long. I use it as a second anchor off the stern when I hop ashore to stop the boat blowing sideways in the wind. On a thin line and with no chain it buries itself very easily and holds my 4.8 from swinging about. I would imagine a bigger version with some chain would be great in sand or mud.

gary222 is offline   Reply With Quote