Old 22 July 2017, 14:35   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 10hp outboard
Where to take SIB in/near Worcestershire

Hi guys,

I posted a question a few weeks back about getting a RIB and was advised to get a SIB to start off with, which I now have as of this morning! It's an Excel Vanguard 3.3m with a 9.9hp 4st outboard.

My question is where to take it in Worcestershire. I'm from Bristol but with my folks for a bit at the moment up here. I'm new to boating and, whilst I'm keen to do the RYA course when I've time, at the moment I'm itching to take it out! Was wondering if anyone knew of any inland water nearby - plus I don't fancy the Severn yet until I've a bit more experience.

Thanks, Rich
Old 22 July 2017, 16:54   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Not sure on the rules but plenty of canals if your happy pottering along at 4mph, https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy...rmingham-canal
Old 22 July 2017, 19:07   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
My experience with a canal was not good. Submerged items, shallow depth, murky water you can't possibly see if it's safe but usually they are quite silted which gets sucked into your engine scoring your water pump innards. Then there was the floating weed for the water intake and general scum which was messing the tubes. I had to stop and detangle a plastic bag from the prop (tip- carry a knife).

Fortunately I was able to turn around after 1 minute at West Stockwith and head off through the lock and up the Trent which was daunting because of recent rainfall but after a few minutes we were totally settled. Having the anchor and oars at the ready and heading upstream, I knew if there were any engine problem I could always get back.

I looked on boatlaunch.co.uk to find the best place near to us. And I didn't want to be a newbie messing with locks every few miles so I chose a tidal part of the Trent.
Old 22 July 2017, 19:24   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
After reading the Honwave T32 thread with the leaky floor I am further reassured that our Excel was the way to go. Any problems underneath are easily sorted with either a new inflatable keel, at worst a new floor but in this case it's removable. Yours is alu so better still.
Old 23 July 2017, 21:00   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Excel
Engine: 10hp outboard
Thanks all for the replies. Think I may go out on the River Avon - a bit less strong than the Severn. Or either Upton Warren perhaps just above Droitwich.

And Limecc, whilst I'm yet to take it out - I've been impressed too by the quality of the Excel boat from what I've seen (inflated in the back yard!)
Old 23 July 2017, 21:38   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: pain
Make: c craft
Engine: mariner, seagull, to
The Severn is ok as long as it's not in flood or if there has been a large rainfall a few days earlier, I take a little avon redcrest down from Tewkesbury towards Gloucester sometimes and its like a mill pond, or a bigger avon with a 15 on and needs to plane to beat the water flow if in flood
Old 24 July 2017, 20:57   #7

Length: 6m +
As per previous answer - I took my honwave from tewks to Stratford, Need two cars to drop one - it's a bloody long way on a sib, lots of locks and good fun but you can do Evesham. Remember to keep swapping sides or you'll be crippled!!
Old 27 July 2017, 11:16   #8

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
If you drop it in the Severn at the pub at Lower Lode just below Tewksbury (it has a slipway), you've got 10 miles or so of tidal (no speed limit) wide and deep river Severn to play in all the way down to Gloucester. There are a couple of decent riverside pubs on that stretch too.

Tags
sib