Old 01 January 2012, 22:50   #1

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Length: 3m +
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Where to SIB in Yorkshire

Where to launch from and any top tips please.
Old 02 January 2012, 00:53   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBer View Post
Where to launch from and any top tips please.
inland ,,to say yorkshire has some massive water resourses lakes /dams/ rivers/canals there are very few that are suitable for fast powered craft ,,private sailing clubs seem to have the best dams lakes ,
you could try ,,

leeds Liverpool canal at Rodley,,4 mph speed limit but its ok for a tootle
as soon as you go over the canal bridge on the ring road going towards Horsforth, from pudsey sharp left double back near Railway pub ,,park up and drop the boat in the canal,if you go towards shipley you have nearly 3 miles of open country before the lock at Apperly bridge ,going the other way towards Leeds its about 2 miles before the next lock at bramley fall ,or you caould use the boat yard at rodley if theres anyone about ,if anytime you need them they are always in the bowells of some barge and unless you shout you can never get them .

River ouse at york used to be ok till british waterways took over and imposed speed limits and the like , used to be a good launch site 5 miles from york with private slipway just before naburn lock at acaster malbis before it becomes tidal ,or bishopthorpe marina 3 miles south of york ,not been for a long long time so cant comment .

calder navigation at dewsbury or mirfield marinas .
Old 02 January 2012, 08:07   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Depends if your wanting to go in the sea? If so Whitby's ok to launch from and if your SIB is in your car you can usually get away without paying or claim its a tender!
Old 02 January 2012, 10:48   #4

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
River ouse at york used to be ok till british waterways took over and imposed speed limits and the like , used to be a good launch site 5 miles from york with private slipway just before naburn lock at acaster malbis before it becomes tidal ,or bishopthorpe marina 3 miles south of york ,not been for a long long time so cant comment .
If you go on the ouse, british waterways impose a daily charge of about £10. Launching at Acaster is also has a charge but this is based on Craft length.

You can launch a small boat at the slip way at the end of Blue Bridge Lane. Don't think there is a charge for that.

Whitby is a great place but the main marina slip is quite expensive. You can launch on the opposite side of the river next to the backpackers but it has more limitations re tide level.

Gary
Old 02 January 2012, 20:23   #5

M_C- I've looked at the Ouse. York Marina charge £5 for a drop-in but that includes parking and use of their toilets and facilities.
I've seen £7 for a days waterways licence and the speed limit appears to be 6 knots not that my SIB has a speedo.

Hadn't thought about the marinas on the calder as thats nearest to me for a pre-season run.

Off to google what the Backpackers is in Whitby. Can you get up the river ESK or is it not navigable?
Old 02 January 2012, 20:46   #6

Found a nice chart of Whitby Harbour just need to compare this to google maps

Whitby Harbour: Chart, Whitby Harbour: Visitmyharbour.com
Old 02 January 2012, 22:43   #7

You can get up the Esk to the Weir at Ruswarp, not a bad little run up, very scenic and a few places you can lump out and have a picnic. Won't take long to get upto Ruswarp, maybe half an hour if your plodding along.
Old 03 January 2012, 21:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
You can get up the Esk to the Weir at Ruswarp, not a bad little run up, very scenic and a few places you can lump out and have a picnic. Won't take long to get upto Ruswarp, maybe half an hour if your plodding along.
Thanks, does it depend on the tides? The freebie chart shows some drying and also another weir where the river starts.
Old 03 January 2012, 21:16   #9

Yeh, theys also a small weir in Whitby Harbour just to the right of the main slipway, looking up river.
Would have thought you'd get up to Ruswarp Weir 2 hrs either side of HW.
Old 04 January 2012, 07:58   #10

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
If you look on Google maps you will find the main pontoon of Whitby Marina. Slightly SW of that (the southern end of it and on the left bank) is the main marina slipway. Slightly south of that you will see a rough line going across the river. That is the weir. It only becomes a weir at the lower part of the tide. If you follow the weir across to the eastern side you will find the other slipway (it is more rough.) You need more tide leve to lanch at that slipway.

We have lauched RIBs on the eastern slipway but you do need a little caution as the slilpway drops onto the weir. So you can launch your boat and stand next to it on one side in waist deep water and be totally submerged on the seaward side.

If you drag the little orange man on Google maps to the road next to spittal bridge then you should see the slip way there.

Gary
Old 12 January 2012, 19:09   #11

Town: redcar
Boat name: glade
Make: quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Hi I used to do it at boroughbridge can't remember name of river but just down stream near where the a 1 goes over the river there is a little slipway that is free to use.
If you want the sea you can di it easily at my home town Redcar again free from beach.
Skiningrove is free and easy, Whitby doesn't cost a lot £10 Inc car park I think.
Also you used to be able to do it at Stockton just up river from the ski boat club from the car park not sure if that slipway is now closed
Where you from and was it sea or river you wanted
Old 12 January 2012, 19:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ve1n View Post
Hi I used to do it at boroughbridge can't remember name of river but just down stream near where the a 1 goes over the river there is a little slipway that is free to use.

Where you from and was it sea or river you wanted
Boroughbridge would be good, I'm up there for Easter. I feel some google maps coming up to hunt down your slipway.

I'm in land locked Wakefield and was looking inland for now as will have kids at 6 and 4 on board so I don't really want to go to sea unless dead calm (unlikely on East coast!)