Old 14 June 2009, 11:43   #1

Town: Warminster
Boat name: Narwhal
Make: Narwhal
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 8hp 2stroke
Where to launch ?

Hi

I've recently bought myself a Avon Rover 3.10 airdeck sib, and i already own a Yamaha 8hp 2stroke outboard, so am hoping to have a go at boating fairly soon again

I owned a 32 foot cruiser on the thames near windsor for 11 years, but when i got married and had kids, that all ended, and i have always wanted to get back on the water, but havent been able to afford the upkeep, and thats when i decided that i would get myself a small sib that me and the wife and 3 kids could go out in, the engine i have owned for about 12 years now, as it was on the tender on the back of my big boat and was always 100% reliable, the boat i recently bought on Ebay, and i just need a few more lifejackets and i should be ready to go !

Trouble is, i would like somewhere quiet to test the boat and engine out on, but not sure where you can use a sib with a 2st engine ?, I live in Warminster in Wiltshire and am happy to travel anywhere within about 100 miles really, and plan on using it inshore on the sea ultimately (within about 500m of the beach)

does anyone know where i could test the boat ?, and any good places to launch along the south coast ?, or inland estuaries or even rivers possibly ?

And any other hints or tips for an experienced boater that is new to inflatable boats

Thanks

Ian
Old 14 June 2009, 12:05   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Would have thought launching it would be an easy one man job providing you have a launching trolly or something. Any water with trolly access, so beach, river bank etc.

Might I suggest somewhere in Poole, Bristol or any Harbour realy.

Try the Boat Launch website if it's slipways you're after.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 12:10   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Weymouth/Portland. Portland harbour is almost 'inshore' and would be a good place to get a feel for the boat. Weymouth Bay is relatively sheltered with the added interest of Lulworth etc. You'd need ideal sea conditions to go out towards the Bill though.
Old 14 June 2009, 12:14   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosseriser View Post
Hi

I've recently bought myself a Avon Rover 3.10 airdeck sib, and i already own a Yamaha 8hp 2stroke outboard, so am hoping to have a go at boating fairly soon again

I owned a 32 foot cruiser on the thames near windsor for 11 years, but when i got married and had kids, that all ended, and i have always wanted to get back on the water, but havent been able to afford the upkeep, and thats when i decided that i would get myself a small sib that me and the wife and 3 kids could go out in, the engine i have owned for about 12 years now, as it was on the tender on the back of my big boat and was always 100% reliable, the boat i recently bought on Ebay, and i just need a few more lifejackets and i should be ready to go !

Trouble is, i would like somewhere quiet to test the boat and engine out on, but not sure where you can use a sib with a 2st engine ?, I live in Warminster in Wiltshire and am happy to travel anywhere within about 100 miles really, and plan on using it inshore on the sea ultimately (within about 500m of the beach)

does anyone know where i could test the boat ?, and any good places to launch along the south coast ?, or inland estuaries or even rivers possibly ?

And any other hints or tips for an experienced boater that is new to inflatable boats

Thanks

Ian
Poole, Branksea Avenue slipway (it's free). See the Boatlaunch on Ribnet for location-is a good place to just try it out if you're not using a trailer.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 12:20   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Come down to Christchurch - there are literally dozens of SIBS buzzing up & down the River - its an easy drive, easy launch & great safe place to try it all out . And the sea is at the end of the river !

If you head this way & want to go out with another boat to be sure let me know.

Pete
Old 14 June 2009, 17:44   #6

Thanks for all the replies everyone, just the sort of replies i needed.

And I might be in contact in a few weeks time Pete, christchurch isnt far from me and looks like a good place to start if there are other sibs buzzing about!

Just 1 other question though, My engine is a long shaft version, will i be ok with this ?, i used it on the back of a 8ft dory on the thames and it wasnt a problem as i never really went over about 1/3-half power (due to speed limits), but it will probably be used at full or near full throttle i would think to get my 3.1 metre boat onto the plane, so just wondered if anyone had any experience of a longshaft outboard on a shortshaft transom ?
Old 14 June 2009, 17:47   #7

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I found a long shaft on a Sib was not a great combo. The sib would probably be designed for a standard shaft.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 18:22   #8

How about using one of these to increase the height of the transom a little ?

http://www.trmarine.com/cats/pages/trnel.html
Old 14 June 2009, 18:55   #9

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Where to launch

Some 15 years or so ago we used to go to Wareham. Nearby there was a village called Ridge, where a farmer would let us park and launch into the river for 50p. From there we could go down to Poole harbour or up to and beyond Wareham.
Mind you this was 15+ years ago.........
Studland Bay near there was run by the National Mistrust, and they would charge £7 to park and launch!!

We've just sold our 311 airdeck (gotta 311 rib) and with a very old Yamaha 8a it flew!! With 2 up we found that fins on the outboard got us onto the plane in a jiffy. My son lent us his Evinrude 9.9 and we clocked it at 27 knots. Great fun. Starting to wish I'd kept it now........
Old 14 June 2009, 19:21   #10

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosseriser View Post
How about using one of these to increase the height of the transom a little ?

http://www.trmarine.com/cats/pages/trnel.html
No idea never tried one, however you won't have a problem selling that engine on ebay and I have regularly seen std shaft ones on there.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote