Old 09 October 2015, 06:51   #1

What's it worth? And where to sell

Thought I would ask you guys how much you think it's worth, whats the best time of year and market place to sell (eBay, boat classifieds etc) I want to get rid of the whole lot so it's a complete outfit. Is it better to sell altogether or split it. To summarise:

Seapro 380hd aluminium floor, inflatable keel SIB, Mariner 30hp 2 stroke 2003 and 2014 Degraff bunked trailer. Loads of other gear Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1444373400.996018.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	109135Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1444373427.144021.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	109136Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1444373463.529230.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	109137Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1444373482.013931.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	109138

most of which is nearly new- fuel tanks, tow toys, bridle, anchor, ropes, storage kit, life jackets. Wetsuits, icom handheld...the list goes on.

Any thoughts on price. Is it worth sticking it on eBay now or waiting till April?
Old 09 October 2015, 08:05   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I'd always say split - definitely sell the trailer and bits separately for the best price but the boat/engine might be worth trying as a package but again splitting the two usually gets better results.

An eBay classified (with 'best offer' option) with lots of large clear pics and a concise, well written description should see plenty of interest and you may well get people asking you for a split that way.

fuel tanks, tow toys, bridle, anchor, ropes, storage kit, life jackets. Wetsuits, icom handheld...the list goes on.

Definitely sell these alone as they don't add real value to the boat - all this lot will easily sell on here without all the eBay hassle/fees.
Old 09 October 2015, 08:48   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As Max says a split will 99% of the time give a significant uplift on the total.

When I buy outfits I would expect to be "given" every extra as in many cases they would just duplicate items I have or not suit my use.

Normally I would say the same of a trailer as I'm always looking at outfits with 15hp maximum and carry in the car so the trailer is just a nuisance I have to sell on.

If your outfit had a rougher trailer and a 15hp I'd say this time of year £1200-£1500 is what I'd want to pay. But yours all looks exceptional and with a 30hp hard to value as it would be too large for many and put them off... often a 30hp will sell well under the price of a 15hp... but get the one chap like Gurnard for example who wants exactly that sort of outfit and it actually may fetch strong money as an outfit.

Here is a completed sale that may give an idea of outfit prices...

RIB ZODIAC - INFLATABLE BOAT- OUTBOARD YAMAHA 30HP | eBay

Similar outboard, rougher trailer and swings/roundabouts on a far more expensive when new but now older boat.

If I had to go for a gut feeling with the items split...

30hp - £700
SIB - £600
Trailer - £300
Extras - £100ish

In truth though it's not a great time of year but if storage is an issue I reckon the peak selling period isn't until May so it's a fair time to wait for best price.

For me Ebay is still the biggest marketplace... it sold my £1500 outfit easily a couple of months back.... of course it's free to try here first.
Old 09 October 2015, 09:39   #4

I think the trailer and kit is worth a bit more though? Depends on the kit of course but the Icom handheld may be £100 alone, all depends on age and model.
Old 09 October 2015, 10:08   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
one on e-bay quicksilver 420 25hp mariner £1800 no bids Christmas coming i would wait till spring.
nice rig by the way i would try just under £2000 with plenty of info engine hours all the kit.

cheers
Old 09 October 2015, 13:49   #6

>>>I think the trailer and kit is worth a bit more though?

You wouldn't say that if you were buying though!
Old 09 October 2015, 16:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>I think the trailer and kit is worth a bit more though?

You wouldn't say that if you were buying though!
Old 09 October 2015, 17:14   #8

Cheers for all your comments and suggestions. That's helped me make my mind up - as storage isn't an issue will wait until May. Perhaps will try selling the boat, engine and trailer as one and other items separately. Give it a go and see what happens. It's a great rig and ideal for someone who wants a great all round boat. Think it's a lesson learnt - buying everything from new and separately is the worst way to get on the water - as spent about 4.5k and prob be lucky to get 2k back. Nice to have everything new and shiny but kick in the nuts when you want to sell. Still no one said it was a going to be a cheap hobby 😆
Old 09 October 2015, 18:22   #9

RIBase
It's the luck of the draw really and a buyers market if it's what someone wants your in luck, the gurnard has a similar rig and loves it when you read his posts where he goes with the right planning even at & £4500 a boat like yours is cheep for the endless pleasure you can get from it good luck with the sale but give it some thought it's worth more that £2000 to you.

Cheers
Old 09 October 2015, 18:49   #10

>>>give it some thought it's worth more that £2000 to you.

Very true... is the reason for selling that you're giving up?

I put some ultra realistic prices in my contribution but I would try as an outfit first because if you found the person who specifically wanted a good size trailed SIB with large outboard in exceptional ready to go condition yours would make sense.
Old 09 October 2015, 19:47   #11

Thanks Jeff and Fenlander - appreciate your comments. I'm selling for a few reasons, mainly around the issue of lack of use and needing the space. I always wanted a boat and it's been great fun for the children on family holidays etc. Children are now older and have different interests etc so just don't think I will get the use out of it.

Shame, but boating is something I would like to return to when I have more time and hopefully live nearer to the coast (currently Northampton - about as far away as you can get!!) Maybe 5, maybe 10 years time but I have learnt a lot in the last few years which I won't forget so when I'm ready I'll get myself a nice 6m+ rib which I can use at weekends etc (well that's the dream anyway!!)
Old 09 October 2015, 20:22   #12

That's interesting. We're near Peterborough so nearest coast that suits us is about 90mls. We too nearly gave up a couple of years back as our girls (now 18 & 20) lost interest plus the Mrs was suffering a bit of joint difficulty so couldn't help me setup very much.

But we've now tailored our SIB to the circumstance that the 20yr old is away at Uni so off the radar most of the time and 18yr old is... albeit home based... living her own life and thankfully the Mrs has had an op to sort her joint problem. So it's the two of us plus dog 90% of the time.

So we have a 3.8m air floor (It's an Aerotec but could be any similar length air floor as far as it goes) with a 15hp. This outfit doesn't need a trailer and all stores in the corner of the garage not impacting on storage space to any degree. I can manage both packed boat and outboard on my own in/out of the car.

This means even if we don't use it for months at a time it's no trouble to have about and when we do use it then the whole lot fits in the car under the (estate) loadspace cover so it's not a theft target and of course we can cruise at full motorway speeds to the sea.

I just wonder if selling your outboard and trailer now but keeping the boat packed at home with all the kit you've gathered might work... so next season you could get a managable weight outboard... perhaps a 15hp... and that way you keep the ability to get on the water with no storage issues and no/minimal expenditure. I'd guess your trailer and outboard should sell for broadly what a 15hp might come for at winter prices.

Just a thought??
Old 10 October 2015, 08:15   #13

Hi Fenlander - good point and this is something I have considered. The boat has been perfect for us and has met our exact needs whilst on holidays to Cornwall with family and friends. We've used it to potter up and down the coastline but mainly to tow toys for the children, hence why I went for the bigger / heavier engine option. Although they've had so much fun the novelty has worn off for the children and due to the good old UK weather we are going abroad this year as last year had 3 days of rain (not much fun in a tent).

Children are teenagers now so they have there own interests at weekends so getting away with just me and the misses isn't so easy.

I have asked myself the question - what do I want from a boat in the future - Id like to have space for at least 4 adults, to feel confident travelling further a field and to have the security of an auxiliary engine. It goes back to my comment earlier - the dream of living nearer the coast and to have a larger boat ready to use at the weekends. One thing I've learnt boating isn't cheap so you've got to get the use out of it.

I suppose I know we've outgrown the current boat and can't justify keeping the boat/trailer/engine for the odd day here and there on the water. Will certainly have a good think about what gear to keep and what to sell as agree no point in getting rid of gear I may need in the future.
Old 10 October 2015, 08:54   #14

>>>Children are teenagers now so they have there own interests at weekends so getting away with just me and the misses isn't so easy.

>>>dream of living nearer the coast and to have a larger boat

Ah you're in a very different place on the curve too us. I'm already early retired and Mrs F probably doing same in 2016. Girls independent so we can do what we want. I've been lucky to spend time on craft up to 50ft+ over my life and am still drawn to the sea... but having had the experience of larger trailed boats and those on permanent moorings know that's not what I want now.

The lack of storage, maintenance and security liability of a "pack in the car" SIB is very hard to beat unless your boat is to become a core interest that skews all spare family time... and as you allude to... if it's cost a fair bit of money to buy/upkeep there is a pressure to use it.

Of course Roman Abramovich probably thinks differently...
Old 10 October 2015, 17:43   #15

RIBase
Chris

Your expeariance is pretty much the norm with the family growing up not getting the use etc. Over the years I have had ribs,sibs,Doris and cabin boats.just this year sold my rib lot of money sat there for a few holidays a year so I down sized to a new sib & engine took her out last week up Scotland and had loads of fun, small sibs are in a league of their own getting on to the water inexpensive when you consider say your boat will last at the very least 10 years that's £450/year you can't grumble at that.fenlander is right consider keeping some selling some ,the boat and engine can be stored easy and if you change your mind you can get back on the water,sell the trailer storage issue gone. If your into boating you will miss it if you don't later in the year sell
Look up the gurnard on here going further afield ,aux engine and all his kit no limit to a sib in the right conditions his threads are inspiring and just show how versatile small boats are.

Cheers
Old 10 October 2015, 17:44   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
30hp - £700
If anyone sees any vgc 30hp reasonably late model 2 strokes going at that money I want to know! I'd happily pay double that for one with power trim and remotes...

Im no expert on sib prices but the bare boat seems cheap too if it has no patches or significant wear.

If a friend was asking my advice as buyer for that package at 2k I'd think it was a good deal, although I haven't studied as much as the true sib geeks here.
Old 10 October 2015, 18:06   #17

Of course I wish Chriswood well with the best price possible if/when he sells but I was being ultra realistic about values for this time of year when many will hardly see water with a newly purchased boat for another 5/6mths.

>>> that package at 2k I'd think it was a good deal.

Yes and that was why I sort of alluded to the fact that unlike many this specific sale with the items being in such good condition and such a large outboard for a SIB could be better tried as a ready to go package.... I'd be thinking of asking £2k or so and seeing how it went.

>>>If anyone sees any vgc 30hp reasonably late model 2 strokes going at that money I want to know! I'd happily pay double that for one with power trim and remotes...

The outfit I listed above had a decent looking Yamaha 30 just 2yrs older than Chriswood's on remotes and made just £1500. Selling off the boat and trailer would probably have left the outboard around £600!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIB-ZODIAC...-/321870213847
Old 11 October 2015, 12:14   #18

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood View Post
Cheers for all your comments and suggestions. That's helped me make my mind up - as storage isn't an issue will wait until May. Perhaps will try selling the boat, engine and trailer as one and other items separately. Give it a go and see what happens. It's a great rig and ideal for someone who wants a great all round boat. Think it's a lesson learnt - buying everything from new and separately is the worst way to get on the water - as spent about 4.5k and prob be lucky to get 2k back. Nice to have everything new and shiny but kick in the nuts when you want to sell. Still no one said it was a going to be a cheap hobby 😆
I did same as you when I started out 20 years ago.. Granted only a small SIB and a 4hp Mariner brand new, with kit, buoyancy vests etc.... But still lost a packet on selling on...

Which is why I've just bought a Yamaha 3.1m SIB and Yamaha 8hp outboard from eBay.. for about the same as I paid for the Mariner and little Sevylor inflatable all those years ago!

I agree with the selling separately idea. As a package, I doubt you'll get as much cash back overall.
Old 12 October 2015, 05:04   #19

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I prefer Gumtree as its free to advertise and they take no commission.

Jon
Old 12 October 2015, 06:19   #20

Town: Redditch
Boat name: Hydra
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: TWINS
Just sold my mariner 30hp two stroke 2004 for 1550 last week.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net