Old 02 August 2008, 23:22   #1

Town: kamloops
Boat name: 380H
Make: seabright marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 mercury 4S
what's a guy to do?

hello all...humm...I am new to all this and as a canadian I am jumping in on this forum hoping to get some help? I am looking to get an inflatable boat for fishing and general cruising...I would like the portablity option for when I tow a camper trailer...I do also have a ez-load trailer from my 12ft alumium boat which I sold as it hold only 3 people and it seems I always have 4 kids who want to go out...well next is my motor...it's a 15hp merc 4 stroke...dry it's about 110lbs...It seems everyone goes big power but geez I can't carry much more than that alone...I was looking at seabright 380 hypalon out from halifax and seems owners are happy with them?...I guess you all seem to like mercury but I don't know if my 15 will be enough to plan a 380 HD boat?...any suggestions or comments to help me out?...I know this is boring as you probably heard it all before...price I pay for being a newbie...thxs for listening.
Old 07 August 2008, 08:54   #2

thanks for all your help...bye
Old 07 August 2008, 11:21   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by facedown View Post
thanks for all your help...bye
Just because people have missed your first post does NOT mean you are being ignored - a POLITE reminder is all that is required!!!!!!!!
Old 07 August 2008, 14:08   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
What's a guy to do?

Be patient & bump the thread up after several days without a response, but without the attitude. Chances are that nobody here responded because nobody here has a seabright boat, so they didn't wan't to comment on something they didn't have first hand experience with. From what I can tell, they are a Korean manufactured boat (probably by Zebec).

Depending on how frequently and hard you want to use your boat, I would take a close look at what some of the manufacturers and dealers in the lower mainland have to offer. Outfits such as Polaris Boats in Langley manufacture very good quality SIBs. Orca Inflatables in Vancouver and Hi-Tec Inflatables in Parksville import cat-hulled Gemini SIBs from South Africa (which in my opinion are the very best available anywhere). Mad Dog Extreme out of Sidney BC, deals with AMI cat hulled SIBs which are less costy than the Gemini ones. There are dozens of inflatable boat dealers (of various quality levels) in the Vancouver area.
Old 07 August 2008, 14:34   #5

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Hola Facedown

Welcome to Rib Net...

Regarding the 15 prob engine used for that sib/engine configuration, read this previous thread ; http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25844 will find all sorts of tech answers about 15-18-25-30 HP engines using any type of 380 meters sibs and personal boating needs & situations. Hopes this helps.

Happy Sibbing
Old 08 August 2008, 21:56   #6

sorry guys i guess I just though nobody cared about us in canada...this is such a new playing field for me comming from the tin boat days...well I looked and looked and did some research and came accross seabright marine out of halifax...For my money and quality of product I believe I made the best choice in getting a 380H hypalon model from them...shipping out her to B.C. was free! and you could not ask for better help or service from the owners...I get may boat next week and am looking forward to a new kinda of adventure on the water...thxs I will let you know how it goes.
Old 09 August 2008, 02:02   #7

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Engine: 20 Suzuki
Enjoy

From what I can remember there are about 5 Canadians in this forum. I have found Ribnet a real help in understanding inflatable’s and outboards. I now own a Sib and a Rib and enjoy them both for what they have to offer and would not go to hard sided boats. My advice, just enjoy your new Sib. If you’re like me after a year or two maybe move up to something else as your needs change. There is a lot of good advice to be found here just keep reading.
Enjoy.
Old 11 August 2008, 20:10   #8

Town: Toronto
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
From what I can remember there are about 5 Canadians in this forum.
Well, well ....
http://rib.net/forum/memberlist.php?...rt=posts&pp=50
Old 12 August 2008, 15:42   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
From what I can remember there are about 5 Canadians in this forum.

LOL.

Now for the test: Name them.

Facedown: Luck with the boat. I think the reason you didn't get a reply to your first post was that you never really asked a question. But, hey; we're past that now.

jky
Old 15 August 2008, 16:06   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by facedown View Post
It seems everyone goes big power but geez I can't carry much more than that alone...
Hello & welcome. If you want more power / less weight, have a look at 2- strokes or other makes. 2- strokes are usually lighter per HP than a 4 -stroke. Alternatively have a good look at the weight numbers of different manufacturers- most manufacturers use one block and restrict it to get 2 or 3 engines for the price of one basic design & set of tooling. Net result is some 15s have "lardy" 9.9Hp cousins, other 15s are heavy because they are a de-tuned 20. You may find if yours is a de- tuned one, you maybe able to Part exchange it for an identical weight 20. You'll need to look at the brochure to confirm that.

As a quick comparison, a look at last year's EU Merc & Honda brochures shows if you swapped the Merc 15 for a Honda 20 (both 4- stroke) you'd not only get more horses, but its just shy of 9lbs lighter too! Needless tosay that all depends on having dealers for umpteen marques on your doorstep.

Alternatively, one simple method I've used to shift engines to beaches is to fix a wooden bracket (2 sheets of ply) to a "sack barrow" - the cheap & cheerful type you get in hardware stores. You then have a handy engine transporter, and can also use it for storeage (Takes less floor space up if it's vertical), and tyou get a free "load lugger" for general use. If it's a short shaft engine you might even get the fuel tank on the load platform at the bottom as well- one less trip 'tween car & beach!

Enjoy the boat!
Old 17 August 2008, 18:14   #11

Town: Kamloops
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: 25 HP Outboard
I see you are in Kamloops. Me too. I have a Mercury 380 with a 25 HP 2 stroke. 2 kids, my wife and brother, we go out on the river regularly. My 25 Merc is about 110 or so pounds I would guess. I don't think your 15 four stroke is gonna cut it for you. It may plane but the extra power especially with more passengers sure is nice. If you like I may be able to meet you one day, you can put your 15 on my boat and see how it goes. Let me know.
Keith

Ooops...Too late. I just read you bought a SIB. See you on the water!
Old 18 August 2008, 05:31   #12

hey keith ya I'm in the kamloops too!..I saw some your your pics and stuff from other posts...looks like a real nice set up you have there!..I got my 380H from Seabright out of halifax and they were awesome to deal with!...more help than I expected...daniel the owner real cares about his products and I believe I got a real nice boat for a darn good price!...I just set it up the other day and am going to try it out on wednesday when I take my daughter camping...I had the 15 4S off my 12ft tin boat ,so I kept it hoping it will be ok for this boat..ya a 25hp is nice but god trying to lug that thing around would kill me!...I have my boat on a trailer now so ya if went with a 25 one day it would be great..and I know my daughter would be happy being able to tow!..I would love to go out on the river with you one day and you could show me your wake!..Ha well thanks for your reply and I will let you know how it goes!...cheers
jeff