Old 09 June 2018, 11:46   #61

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
HP I'm not sure I know what you are putting the 8hp on.

But in general the standard 3-blade with a pitch as supplied when the OB is new (if that's what your 3-blade is) will work well across all the normal small boat applications of an 8hp.

I wonder if the 4-blade is a lower pitch for using as an aux on a boat at displacement speeds??
Old 10 June 2018, 10:45   #62

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Correct, that’s what it was used on, a displacement boat as the main engine. So that it wasn’t at full throttle all the time. I’m using it on a 2.5m RIB so may change it over.
Old 10 June 2018, 11:02   #63

Yep I reckon the standard 3-blade will be slightly better for that small rib... but in truth either will push you along.
Old 10 June 2018, 20:27   #64

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Another bigger and older outfit that would need proper checking over but again, huge fun and value for £1k:
I had a bid for that Suzumar, went up £500 in the last 5 mins Ended up selling for £1370 which given it had a BIK of £1000 was a real result for the seller.

Wasn't to disappointed though as it was a pretty hefty unit with the wood floor and 25hp 4 stroke. Also had been packed away for 5 years since last use and no recent pics of it inflated so bit of a chance on it being OK.

Nice T38 package on at the moment which I am also following

Cheers,

MM
Old 10 June 2018, 20:41   #65

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Never buy via auction.

Message the seller as soon as you see the right boat listed at the right location, go and see it ASAP and agree a cash deal if it all checks out and is right for you.

And bide your time, loads of SIBs out there, noticed four T27ie HWs listed in just the last 24 hrs.
Old 12 June 2018, 15:39   #66

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Never buy via auction.

Message the seller as soon as you see the right boat listed at the right location, go and see it ASAP and agree a cash deal if it all checks out and is right for you.

And bide your time, loads of SIBs out there, noticed four T27ie HWs listed in just the last 24 hrs.
Have you tried to exchange contact details via ebay to view before purchase lately
I got banned by eBay for a week for sending a buyer my details to view an engine
Ebay is just a pain now
Old 12 June 2018, 15:43   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Correct, that’s what it was used on, a displacement boat as the main engine. So that it wasn’t at full throttle all the time. I’m using it on a 2.5m RIB so may change it over.
We have a 8hp yam (standard gearbox) on a 2.8m ribeye aluminium tender and it planes with two adults and a toddler adults being 13 stone and 8 stone
Old 12 June 2018, 16:47   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Have you tried to exchange contact details via ebay to view before purchase lately
I got banned by eBay for a week for sending a buyer my details to view an engine
Ebay is just a pain now
Yep, it's happened to me too - they really are a bunch of ******s now.

You just have to work round it as best as possible - not an issue if the seller has listed the item as a classified item which is generally the best way anyway (for boats/cars/engines) as IME you get lots of enquiries this way and negotiate easily with no hassles from the eBay police and the overall costs are much lower.
Old 12 June 2018, 17:08   #69

>>>Have you tried to exchange contact details via ebay to view before purchase lately... got banned by eBay for a week for sending a buyer my details to view an engine... Ebay is just a pain now

They can be a pain when you make a genuine mistake that triggers a warning message or worse.

The only way to get round this as a seller is to advertise something as a Classified Ad not an auction or BIN... then with a Classified you can give contact details no problem.

Remember with an item you might wish to view you lose nothing by buying/offering/bidding and then if you buy/win inspect carefully on collection. If it is not as described then ask the seller to cancel the transaction then if they refuse don't buy it and once home start a "not as described dispute". Most sellers if they have any sense will agree the cancellation as going through a not as described process is a nuisance and can have a negative impact on their rating.

Overall I'm still an Ebay fan as I've reached a nationwide/worldwide audience and some unexpected high prices on loads of obscure items. They are cheaper than any auction house too and the fact there is no buyers premium allows buyers to pay you more.

Edit: BTW coincidental post with Max's... so yes Classifieds is the way for boats/motors.
Old 12 June 2018, 20:28   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Have you tried to exchange contact details via ebay to view before purchase lately... got banned by eBay for a week for sending a buyer my details to view an engine... Ebay is just a pain now

They can be a pain when you make a genuine mistake that triggers a warning message or worse.

The only way to get round this as a seller is to advertise something as a Classified Ad not an auction or BIN... then with a Classified you can give contact details no problem.

Remember with an item you might wish to view you lose nothing by buying/offering/bidding and then if you buy/win inspect carefully on collection. If it is not as described then ask the seller to cancel the transaction then if they refuse don't buy it and once home start a "not as described dispute". Most sellers if they have any sense will agree the cancellation as going through a not as described process is a nuisance and can have a negative impact on their rating.

Overall I'm still an Ebay fan as I've reached a nationwide/worldwide audience and some unexpected high prices on loads of obscure items. They are cheaper than any auction house too and the fact there is no buyers premium allows buyers to pay you more.

Edit: BTW coincidental post with Max's... so yes Classifieds is the way for boats/motors.
Yeh thats all ok if your a seller but as the post is about buying then you have no control over how the seller lists the item you may want to buy
Lets face it none of us want to bid buy then back out
Sometimes you can get round it by sending a picture of your contact detail but the ebay police are wise to that too

Quote:
Yep, it's happened to me too - they really are a bunch of ******s now.

You just have to work round it as best as possible - not an issue if the seller has listed the item as a classified item which is generally the best way anyway (for boats/cars/engines) as IME you get lots of enquiries this way and negotiate easily with no hassles from the eBay police and the overall costs are much lower.
Old 12 June 2018, 21:29   #71

>>>but as the post is about buying then you have no control over how the seller lists the item you may want to buy... Lets face it none of us want to bid buy then back out

Ebay is setting the rules of the game so if you are interested in the item then you have to play the game.... ask all the questions you can think of... ask for extra images... then bid/buy on the info with the full intention of completing the purchase and only pull out at the point of collection if there's a real problem.

>>>Sometimes you can get round it by sending a picture of your contact detail but the ebay police are wise to that too

Yep if you value your buyer/seller account best not to attempt this as their photo detection software is pretty good... it will even catch something innocent if a close up photo of a model number looks something like a phone number. And if they think you are trying to deceive the sanction applied is likely to be more restrictive.
Old 13 June 2018, 05:37   #72

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
When you message someone on eBay you should get a notification of the reply via email,if you respond via that email not eBay message you should be fine,unless something has changed
Old 13 June 2018, 08:06   #73

Sadly MH this "loophole" was removed 10yrs ago. Even if you reply from the email notification rather than in the Ebay website message area there is no display of the other persons Email address and the reply always goes through the Ebay messaging system with its filters.

I've always preferred to communicate via Ebay messaging as in the case of a dispute Ebay can view the messages and more easily decide if they can support you.
Old 13 June 2018, 08:09   #74

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Cheers, shows how up to date I am [emoji3]
Old 13 June 2018, 08:31   #75

I started on Ebay in the early days and it was a bit of a free for all as Ebay and users found their feet.

I've used it frequently since then to buy and sell and it's become clear as the years rolled on you need to keep on top of their procedures more and more or you find you can't do what you want... or do something to cause them to raise... or bring down... the big stick.
Old 15 June 2018, 20:34   #76

Any views on Waveline 320 Airdeck? Oldish one available locally for not a lot with a small engine. Just wondered how well made they were and how seaworthy if I swapped up to a 15hp?

cheers,

MM
Old 16 June 2018, 08:57   #77

If it is an HP V-shape floor with planing tabs I guess very similar to the Honwave design and OK. If a flat HP air floor with LP sausage keel I'd be more wary.
Old 16 June 2018, 12:03   #78

Got a link or more info?
Old 16 June 2018, 20:06   #79

Not great pics, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...87807024684265

Cheers,

MM
Old 16 June 2018, 21:37   #80

Do you have a 15 already?

TBH I'd look for something better, it's OK and cheap but not worth more than that.

Tags
rib