JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
What SIB would you recomend?

I'm after a large SIB but haven't a clue what is out there on the market.
I want an inflatable keel and as much room as possible.

The thought of getting out of the boot, sticking in a gadget to inflate it and off I go sounds like heaven. Plus the beach is a 5-10 min walk from my front door.
Advice on engines too. 2 stroke would seem the way to go due to weight when wheeling the SIB down the beach. But are any 4 strokes light enough to do this? I'm hoping to get a SIB with a fair sized engine on it.

Thanks in advance
Old 26 April 2009, 13:35   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
it is harder work than it sounds - your health probs won't help so you must get a 2 stroke unless you have other people with you.

So much depends on what you want to use it for. I have a quicksilver 3.1 with a 15hp suzuki 4 stroke. Will do 25mph with 2 adults on board - will still plane with 2x adults and 2 kids - have managed to cross the Bristol Channel in it - 26 miles each way.

My ideal would be a 3.4m with a Tohatsu 18hp 2 stroke.

Then you have to consider the floor. An air floor is much easier if you want to keep the boat in the boot. A wood floor is much better when you are on the water but takes longer to assemble.

Personally I would keep the boat inflated and chcuk it on the roof of the car. It is quite easy to lift onto the roof of a normal car but is a stuggle onto something like a Discovery.

What ever you get proper inflatable launching wheels are a must.
Old 26 April 2009, 13:37   #3
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Cheers CP,
what do you think about one of THESE ?

I'd be using for cruising up and down the local coast. Speed isn't all important but would like to play now and again. Looking more for something that sits in between speed and fuel economy (for going distance)
Old 26 April 2009, 17:07   #4

Town: wells
Make: Porters / bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 60 / 15hp
John,

I had the same debate when i was looking for one, I eventually bought a Bombard Aerotec 380 the build quality is superb, it takes 10mins to inflate / deflate has a 15hp 2s motor that is managable to lift from car to transom but will take a 25hp. There was a long thread running on this SIB and some pics of Matt h putting it through its passes.
Old 26 April 2009, 17:19   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
I have a Quicksilver 430 with 25/30hp for safety work, nice easy boat to handle and very capable, see pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0413.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	42168  
Old 26 April 2009, 20:20   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Cheers CP,
what do you think about one of THESE ?

I'd be using for cruising up and down the local coast. Speed isn't all important but would like to play now and again. Looking more for something that sits in between speed and fuel economy (for going distance)
Look at the weight!!!

Ali floors are tough but very heavy. You really wouldn't want to be lugging that thing around - it's a trailer job.

The Bombard 380 looks pretty good.

It really depends on wether you want to keep it in the boot or not.
Old 26 April 2009, 20:51   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
John, check out my Post, "my wacky new sib" ive have tried lots of different Sibs and really the best one was the Aerotec 380 with a 15 two stroke yam or merc, a lot of fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940_2.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	42170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	42171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0937_2.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	42172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	42173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812_2.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	42174  

Old 27 April 2009, 08:54   #8

Town: wells
Make: Porters / bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 60 / 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
John, check out my Post, "my wacky new sib" ive have tried lots of different Sibs and really the best one was the Aerotec 380 with a 15 two stroke yam or merc, a lot of fun!!!
Hey! thats my bowt, still having great fun with it. Portland - Weymouth - Lulworth - Portland all for £15

Let me know when the 5.4 is coming my way??
Old 27 April 2009, 13:38   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
it was a lovely boat, searider??? soon baby soon!
Old 27 April 2009, 14:21   #10

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
John,

As a owner of 1 large sib (Honwave 4m), 1 small rib/sib (Bombard AX500)and a Searider 4m here is my take on it.

As mentioned a 4m+ aluminium floor with 25/30hp engine is bloody heavy to man handle and really only suitable for trailering; even with bravo pump it is a bloody pain to inflate/deflate each time and you will soon get fed up doing this. I had the launching wheels fitted but hauling across sand etc is hard work even for the gf and the i who are both strong and fit - still left us knackered. The launching wheels broke and after two sets took them back and got a refund.

After buying the SR4, i wanted something that i could carry in or on the roof of the car and be on the water within the minimum amount of time....cue Bombard AX500. It has a rigid floor (so technically a rib) and with the Tohatsu 9.8 is a little belter, yes it has the limitations over the 4m sib but it is far more fun and every time i use it puts a bloody big smile on my face. I can carry the engine and boat anywhere i want without killing me and i love the versatility and flexibility it offers without having to worry about tides or slipways.

The beauty of sibs is the ease of launching, low weight and performance and that can achieved with a smaller type boat and 2 stroke engine however go to big and i personally think you will be disappointed considering you already have a Searider.

So as mentioned, i would look at a Aerotec 380 or similar and the largest 2 stroke that can be fitted, comfortably carried or pushed if using wheels. Also get a Bravo or similar electric pump as inflating the thing will goose you before even getting on the water.

I plan to keep the SR4 and the AX, as for me is the perfect combination for what i require.

If you are interested i am selling the 4m Honwave.

Old 04 May 2009, 20:35   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Surprised no one has mentioned a Zodiac Futura Mk2C. With an aero-floor and 25hp 2-stroke with tiller control. Okay the 25hp will be a heavy lump, but is managable. Ideally you'd want a little box trailer to transport it.