Old 07 July 2011, 20:29   #1
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
What kit do you carry on your SIB?

I have (temporarily) downsized to a SIB and spend my Daze zipping around and fishing in sheltered waters less than two miles from a safe shore. The SIB is a tiny 2.7m tender that is rated for F4 and below. I try to keep the weight down but my OCD has cut in. I carry a Pelicase of the stuff shown in the pics. In addition I have a small bag of ground gear and whatever task appropriate kit I need.

Anyway, the Pelicase is full and I think I need to add a tiny adjustable spanner and a screwdriver or two. Any (useful) thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9084.jpg
Views:	3399
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	60691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9079.jpg
Views:	1941
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	60692  
Old 07 July 2011, 20:34   #2
RIBnet Supporter

The ground gear bag has a 2.5kg Bruce anchor with 4m of 6 milly chain, a 75m warp, a 15m warp and a compressed gas cylinder to fit the nozzle/gauge in the Pelicase. There might be a small fender in there too . Oh, and a wee bailer and sponge. And some small 1m lines....

The SIB has attached oars and has a bridle type painter thingy.
Old 07 July 2011, 20:49   #3

Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 40hp
very impressive - OCD is a good thing
now how about listing the bits for those of us who don't recognise them - or is it like one of those party games where you cover it up and we have to list the bits?!

Alasdair
Old 07 July 2011, 20:55   #4
RIBnet Supporter

I should probably add that I carry a VHF and PLB on my person when in the SIB, along with my mobile in a waterproof bag. I think I'm looking for ideas for the gear in the Pelicase - it's just that something will have to go to make space.....

Old 07 July 2011, 21:23   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirk View Post
now how about listing the bits for those of us who don't recognise them
Good point - hope I remember.... (going clockwise from the top right - multitool in the middle)

First Aid kit
Pocket EAR mask
GPS and spare AA batteries
Sighting compass
Whistle (to whistle Dixie until the RNLI come)
Red (light) Flare
2 x Orange Smoke Flares
Spare Starter Rope (new rope has arrived - must fit)
Spark plugs and spark plug spanner
Fuel primer bulb
Spare Kill cord
Valve attachment and gauge - fits air cylinder, good for top ups.
Diver's LED torch
Velcro cable ties
Plastic cable ties
Corks (for bungs etc)
Fine sandpaper
Cleaning cloth
Jubilee clips
Hose connections
Duct Tape
Wires (things: for the poking of)
Clamshell repair thingy
Box for small bits

...and a partridge in a pear tree
Old 07 July 2011, 21:54   #6

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I carry a pair of bino's with built in compass which I find quite handy on the sib. As I'm spending my time close inshore I need to find transit marks and take bearings etc. Depends on your area of operations though.

Incidentally what size air cylinder are you using?
Old 07 July 2011, 22:53   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
That's a pretty comprehensive list. Lots of things there I don't have (many I do) but spare valves are useful and electrical wire. I also have a big bright orange dry bag - mainly for carrying spare clothes/food/water but in an emergency (not withstanding VHF, PFD's etc) it would make a good attention grabbing flag or also a big float to cling to!
Old 08 July 2011, 00:25   #8

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
That looks like a nice kit. Everything there I'd keep in there except the pocket cpr mask. It takes up alot of space inside the case and, although very useful to keep in your car etc, would be more of a burden to use on the water. In that case, I think the cons outweigh the pros for keeping it in the case. You can always do mouth to mouth and I assume anyone you're bringing in your smaller sib you know well enough to do so.
Old 08 July 2011, 00:28   #9

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
I'd also add a spare fuel fitting. My spare one has saved me twice.
Old 08 July 2011, 01:29   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gstnj View Post
Everything there I'd keep in there except the pocket cpr mask.
Unless you're a diver. Much larger chance of rescue breathing when compressed gases are in the mix.

Willk; One thing I'd add is that weird self-amalgamating silicone tape (sold under various guises: Rescue Tape, Rigging Tape, etc.) It will [sort of] patch leaky hoses, waterproof and insulate electrical splices, and probably go a long ways in controlling a small but deep bleeding injury on someones limb.

A couple of alligator clip-ended wires can be handy to bypass electrical opens (but you need to be a fair electronic tech to make use of them without damaging other stuff.)

Other than that, nice job building your kit.

jky
Old 08 July 2011, 07:08   #11

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Excellent thread Willk

Those blue cased resuscitation masks are the same ones we supply to sailing clubs for their safety kits, they are cheap and light and if you ended up doing prolonged CRP on a casualty they really make a difference. In other words, well worth the space they take up.

The Peli I have to take when I am working on someone else's boat (ie I don't know what kit they have) is very similar - I will try and take a photo for comparison.
Old 08 July 2011, 07:14   #12

Town: Christchurch
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
In addition to all of that plus what Max said, we carry an orange survival bag just incase someone does go over the side or get very wet it's a great thing to stick them in to keep them warm.
Try storing your kit in a "flare box" the big square (or round) waterproof containers that come in White, grey, yellow. There slightly bigger than you little case and allow for the little extras your looking at packing

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 08 July 2011, 07:47   #13

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
At first sight I thought the white cloth was clean underwear, so as not to get Mom ashamed in case of accident...

Very interesting kit. Many of the items you take there are much more useful rather than fog horn and signaling mirror, mandatory in Spain.
Boat repair kits also mandatory in here, but never as efficient as a clamshell.

I have a tiny floating barrel just for emergency stuff (flares and all of that).
Sticked small instructions set in my portable summergible VHF, tied to a tiny buoy.

Cianoacrilate adhesive may be useful and it's small, even used at Viet war for open wounds! What about sugar candy and a plastic folded emergency blanket?

And about OCD - it's my belief this forum is a happy meeting point. Get and read ASAP: Peter D. Jeans "Seafaring Lore and Legend". Plenty of advice there to avoid bad luck, you bet.
Old 08 July 2011, 09:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyamGalpin View Post
Try storing your kit in a "flare box" the big square (or round) waterproof containers that come in White, grey, yellow. There slightly bigger than you little case
I don't know of anyone who has gone from a flare box to a Peli Case and ever thought of going back, flare boxes are flawed in too many ways to mention IMHO.

Peli Cases come in lots of sizes, here are just a few:

Military Spec Cases
Old 08 July 2011, 09:36   #15
RIBnet Supporter

All good points guys - keep them coming!

The pocket mask is indeed the odd piece - and I thought hard about including it. I want it on the boat as I'm around beaches and piers and other water users and I'm trained for CPR. I attended one geriatric heart attack casualty as first responder and she was puking all over the shop. Luckily she continued breathing unaided and I got to hand her over to the paramedics without the need to pucker up A close call and the Memory lives strong in me! There's nowhere else on the craft safe enough to store it.

Good point on the lekkie bits. However there's not a lot of/no wiring in the Tohatsu bar the kill switch, and I can short that with the pliers and duct tape. Might squeeze in a bit of wire and a connector...

Fuel fittings I am looking out for - the Tohatsu fittings are very durable being all metal and are also VERY pricey! On the "Get" list.

The survival bag is a definite yes. I have one that I will keep in the other bag with the ground gear - suitably protected. I don't rate the space blankets. It hasn't been a priority, as I dress for immersion, but I did have occassion to tow another SIB recently, and the shivering passenger got me thinking...

Azzurro -Clean underwear... hopefully things won't get that bad

Amalgamating tape - good idea and I used to carry it on the big boat (one for fuel lines). I think I can cut any leak out of the system very quickly, but a small piece might be handy for under the hood, if the need arose.

Space is at a premium on this boat. A flare box is just too big and will attract more heavy crap. Remember if fishing, I carry a plastic box (for the fish ) and a small tackle box and a cool bag (for the cool ). The rod has to be slung outside the tubes. The fuel tank is also on deck with the ground gear bag - getting cosy in there....

Thanks for the input - any more ideas?? All this will be food for thought for other mini-SIBbers too.
Old 08 July 2011, 09:43   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Tohatsu fittings are very durable being all metal and are also VERY pricey! On the "Get" list.
We fit unbranded ones that are 100% compatible with the Tohatsu, a tenner for the male ones and 15 for the females.
Old 08 July 2011, 09:49   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
We fit unbranded ones that are 100% compatible with the Tohatsu, a tenner for the male ones and 15 for the females.
Interesting, are they tough and unbreakable?
Old 08 July 2011, 09:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Interesting, are they tough and unbreakable?
Depends how hard you try to break them!

I have not had to replace one yet, first tried one about 4 years ago.
Old 08 July 2011, 10:03   #19

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
And if the going goes tough...what about a freezer bag for the fish? I mean, from the supermarket. The fish, not the bag.
Old 08 July 2011, 10:13   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
And if the going goes tough...what about a freezer bag for the fish? I mean, from the supermarket. The fish, not the bag.
Ah yes - but you have to land them into a box - hooks and knives and fish spines and SIBs - not a good cocktail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
I have not had to replace one yet, first tried one about 4 years ago.
Sounds like I should be OK with the pair I have then...