Old 11 July 2011, 02:10   #51

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Just came across this thread, it is excellent. I keep the gear in a trapezoid shaped polyethylene box which fits nicely up against the bow. Inside of it I have a smaller pelican box for the items that absolutely have to stay dry. Here is a thread with some pictures of this setup:

Recently Added Modifications & Accessories

For me at least one spare prop is essential (2 is better). I also keep a full spare fuel line that is ready to go, if needed.

A couple of items that have been useful to me (that I keep in this box) that I don't think have been mentioned earlier in this thread include:

An extra liter of 2 stroke oil. I've often come across locations where I can re-fill the jerry cans with gasoline but they don't have 2 stroke oil available.

A small sylnylon tarp (~8'x10') weighs next to nothing (12 oz) and scrunches up into a tiny package (11" x 3" diameter). A shaped tarp such as the Kifaru ParaHootch & ParaTarp can easily be a lifesaver if one needs to make an unexpected landing and needs to get out of the elements. It is also easy to set up so it could be rapidly clipped to and erected on the boat (use a boat grab hook for the center pole & clip tarp base to the lifelines of the tubes) to minimize spray while in rough conditions.

As mentioned earlier by Mart, is to make sure you also have some basic on land survival gear such in case you need to make an unexpected landing and may need to remain there for a while. A completely reliable fire starting device such as a ferrocerium rod (fire steel) and no brainer tinder (such as cotton balls in petroleum jelly) would be one such essential.

Old 11 July 2011, 06:17   #52

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
As Martini- mart,, said earlier in the thread a lot depends on which area you are operating in ,

prairie tuber out in the wilderness will need different kit to say myself that operates from a busy commercial estury ,,not much call for a bear gun on the North yorks coast ,,unless passing stathes or whitby that is ,,,sorry chewy :0 only joking,

On the serious side though ,someone perhaps say just having a 5 mile run along the coast and thinking that they dont need a load of kit because they are keeping close inshore and not going more than a few hundred metres out maybe ok in some areas ,but doing the same along a coastline with high sheer cliffs right down to the sea and no safe way of beaching or gaining access to the top might as well be 5 miles out to sea if something goes wrong .

Old 11 July 2011, 17:04   #53
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
...but doing the same along a coastline with high sheer cliffs right down to the sea and no safe way of beaching or gaining access to the top might as well be 5 miles out to sea if something goes wrong .
I get that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0128.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	60779  
Old 12 July 2011, 02:39   #54

Town: Marlow
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I get that...
Where was the photo taken willk?
Old 12 July 2011, 03:02   #55

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Willk, I would be tempted to move everything needed to attract attention into one of those waterproof bum-bags (something like one of these; Waterproof Waist Pack ). Just make sure you get one big enough to hold your flares, gps, signalling mirror, divers torch etc. This would free up some space in your main case and ensure you have everything you need on you in-case the worst happens and you and the boat part company.
Old 12 July 2011, 04:41   #56
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet-Jester View Post
Where was the photo taken willk?
Knockalla, Fanad, Donegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Willk, I would be tempted to move everything needed to attract attention into one of those waterproof bum-bags
I tend to wear my immersion suit. In/on it are my VHF, PLB (GPS and LED equipped), mobile (ina waterproof bag) and a whistle. If I'm out later in the day, I carry the torch too. All items on lanyards.

I'm not gonna bump up and down all day on a bag of pyrotechics...
Old 12 July 2011, 09:26   #57

Town: Swindon
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Outboard 15hp
This thread really got me thinking as I don't really carry a lot of kit in my SIB, just spare spark plug engine tool kit, food and drink water proof clothing, rope and a rope swim ladder

I'm feel bad now that I dont even carry a pump,anchor, flares or radio although I am a fair weather Siber
Old 12 July 2011, 09:29   #58

Town: Swindon
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Outboard 15hp
Been a lurker for some time and always found the forum a good read been SIBing for about 14 years now had a 2 years with a Rib but enjoy the launch anywere of a SIB and not towing a trailer
Old 12 July 2011, 10:51   #59
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPnuts View Post
I'm feel bad now that I dont even carry a pump,anchor, flares or radio although I am a fair weather Siber
Its good that the thread is making you think about what is needed/essential. As mentioned further up not everything that everybody carries is 'essential' for everyone else. It will depend where you go - if like Willk you are remote, difficult to get ashore, possibly unlikely to see another boat for hours etc then you need to be more self reliant that if you are sailing the solent in the middle of summer...

that said some way of getting help would be wise and unless you are very confident about mobile phone reception and keeping a phone charged and dry all day then a VHF seems the sensible choice - for about 80. Flares are expensive, but of course if you need them then they will seem like great value at the time. A pump will only be really useful if you have a way of patching holes. But the anchor would be my first purchase in your shoes. Stop you blowing onto a rocky lee shore, or blowing out to sea if the engine dies. Let you hold the boat still when trying to fix the engine, or grab a peaceful sarnie, or persuade some mackrel to bite, or keep the boat afloat whilst you wade ashore... all mean its much more than just a safety device.
Old 13 July 2011, 05:53   #60
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
if like Willk you are remote, difficult to get ashore,
Harsh words P, a little distant maybe

Admittedly, Mrs willk insists that I can be difficult to get ashore. Late one last night - the torch was very much in the pocket!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Urris Hills.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	60823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Going Home.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	60824