Old 24 October 2023, 17:51   #181

Town: Devon
Make: Zodiac Cadet 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2t
RIBase
Plastic claw goes under stop switch. Coil cable then pulled around thigh and clipped to itself using the 'dog' clip. Not back to tiller.
It must be very short if it can't do that.
Old 24 October 2023, 17:53   #182

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevbouy View Post
Plastic claw goes under stop switch. Coil cable then pulled around thigh and clipped to itself using the 'dog' clip. Not back to tiller.

What happens when your stop switch is on the tiller then ???
Old 24 October 2023, 17:57   #183

RIBase
Read again. I think you misread it. Stop switch on tiller is the same as above. Clip goes under stop switch, cable comes away to thigh and around thigh to itself forming a loop around thigh. It must be very short if it can't do it.
Old 24 October 2023, 17:59   #184

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I reckon "Trev" is reading it that Steve had the cord from OB round his thigh and back again clipped to the OB. I think it was just the way Steve wrote it was open to that interpretation.

Re the fire extinguisher like PD it's one thing I don't carry... unless it was something like a smartphone igniting that could be flipped into the sea in a second I'd be taking exec action to bale out.
Old 24 October 2023, 18:16   #185

RIBase
Yes I did read it as that. I had one on tiller and it wasn't a problem. I have the one on engine now on sib and a keyswitch on rib.
Old 24 October 2023, 18:22   #186

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I reckon "Trev" is reading it that Steve had the cord from OB round his thigh and back again clipped to the OB.

[emoji106]
Old 25 October 2023, 04:52   #187

Town: Sofia, bulgaria
Boat name: Narnia II
Make: Honwave T38 IE3
Engine: BF20
Quote:
I reckon "Trev" is reading it that Steve had the cord from OB round his thigh and back again clipped to the OB. I think it was just the way Steve wrote it was open to that interpretation.

Re the fire extinguisher like PD it's one thing I don't carry... unless it was something like a smartphone igniting that could be flipped into the sea in a second I'd be taking exec action to bale out.
Isn't it mandatory in UK to carry a fire extinguisher on board. In Greece and Bulgaria this is one of the two things they check - fire extinguisher with annual check and compliant life vests.
As usability goes, from my experience, the times I used one to put out fires were only to help other people. There are many cases when a fire is not a raging blaze that you just have run away from. If i get in trouble and end up needing one, I won't forgive myself for being too lazy to carry and maintain one or too cheap to buy
Old 25 October 2023, 08:03   #188

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPun View Post
Isn't it mandatory in UK to carry a fire extinguisher on board.
Nope.

In Truth hardly anything in the boating world is in the UK if you are going to sea for non-commercial purposes, but it is different on inland waterways.
Old 25 October 2023, 09:54   #189

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
What kit do you carry on your SIB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPun View Post
Isn't it mandatory in UK to carry a fire extinguisher on board. In Greece and Bulgaria this is one of the two things they check - fire extinguisher with annual check and compliant life vests.

As usability goes, from my experience, the times I used one to put out fires were only to help other people. There are many cases when a fire is not a raging blaze that you just have run away from. If i get in trouble and end up needing one, I won't forgive myself for being too lazy to carry and maintain one or too cheap to buy

I can’t actually think of anything that is mandatory for leisure boating on the open sea in the UK. Non of the following items are a legal requirement for private pleasure boats under 24m:-
Flares
VHF
Life jackets
Fire extinguisher
Qualifications for the crew/captain
Insurance
Life bouy/ring
Signal mirror
Etc etc……

We do however, have to comply with “The rules of the road” so things like COLREGS have to be followed.
There is little, if any enforcement or policing of our leisure boating activities. We prefer to self police or let Darwin do it for us.

My decision not to carry a fire extinguisher on the sib isn’t down to being either “lazy or cheap” it’s down to a pragmatic approach to safety & the result of my own “in head” risk assessment. There are only 4 things that could cause a fire on my SIB, 3 lithium batteries (phone/VHF/sounder) & 20litres of E10. If any of the lithium batteries catch fire, they’re going straight over the side. If the 20l of E10 catches light, I’m going over the side! I’ll then rely on the safety gear that I DO carry to get me out of the merde. Hand held VHF clipped to my LJ alongside the PLB & laser flare. Carrying safety gear only makes sense if you’ve worked out how you will use it in anger, otherwise it’s just a false sense of security.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 14:14   #190

Town: Sofia, bulgaria
Boat name: Narnia II
Make: Honwave T38 IE3
Engine: BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I can’t actually think of anything that is mandatory for leisure boating on the open sea in the UK. Non of the following items are a legal requirement for private pleasure boats under 24m:-
Flares
VHF
Life jackets
Fire extinguisher
Qualifications for the crew/captain
Insurance
Life bouy/ring
Signal mirror
Etc etc……

We do however, have to comply with “The rules of the road” so things like COLREGS have to be followed.
There is little, if any enforcement or policing of our leisure boating activities. We prefer to self police or let Darwin do it for us.

My decision not to carry a fire extinguisher on the sib isn’t down to being either “lazy or cheap” it’s down to a pragmatic approach to safety & the result of my own “in head” risk assessment. There are only 4 things that could cause a fire on my SIB, 3 lithium batteries (phone/VHF/sounder) & 20litres of E10. If any of the lithium batteries catch fire, they’re going straight over the side. If the 20l of E10 catches light, I’m going over the side! I’ll then rely on the safety gear that I DO carry to get me out of the merde. Hand held VHF clipped to my LJ alongside the PLB & laser flare. Carrying safety gear only makes sense if you’ve worked out how you will use it in anger, otherwise it’s just a false sense of security.
Apart from the mandatory requirements for safety equipment that can be randomly enforced by a bored Greek officer in a marina, a fire extinguisher can save me some trouble in case of small and manageable fire. I had a leaky carb in the past and the probability of a small fire inside the motor cowling was far greater than a random full blown gas tank fire. Motor cowling has all what fire wants - gas, sparks and heat. And this can probably be put out with a small extinguisher. I also carry a fire blanket, so that might also help to cover the motor if the fire is bigger, or to use it as a regular blanket in other types of emergencies. The worst case scenario for me is to bail out, especially in cold water. No matter how good your safety gear is, you don't have much time in 10 degree water. It's always better to wave your arms while sitting on a partially inflated bow section, than having the VHF and all the signalling gear while swimming in cold water. For sure you're right that one needs a plan and everyone uses his boat in different environment and knows best what works for him. This reminds me that I need a VHF. Cheers.
Old 25 October 2023, 14:24   #191

Surely the point of a small fun tiller steered SIB is to go to sea equipped with nothing but a Loin cloth and a Bowie Knife clenched in your teeth.
Old 25 October 2023, 15:42   #192

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Surely the point of a small fun tiller steered SIB is to go to sea equipped with nothing but a Loin cloth and a Bowie Knife clenched in your teeth.

Loin cloths are for wusses…..
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 25 October 2023, 17:15   #193

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Not sure if you are being serious?

That will go round your thing and back to the telephone cord no problem...
I stand corrected

I tried it today and it will go around my thigh and back to the tiller. However, if I'm on full lock the kill cord is too short and pulls away from the stop. Perhaps it is a short kill cord or I sit further forward than most, as it is I prefer it on my wrist.
Old 25 October 2023, 19:10   #194

Actually I prefer on my wrist. On my thigh I find if I move about say coming to a pontoon there is a risk of cutting the motor and undoing the previous two mins of superb slick seamanship.
Old 25 October 2023, 20:52   #195

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Actually I prefer on my wrist. On my thigh I find if I move about say coming to a pontoon there is a risk of cutting the motor and undoing the previous two mins of superb slick seamanship.

Generally not recommended on the wrist because of the possibility of slipping off. I usually attach to crotch strap on life jacket as at the helm makes it nice and low so I don’t catch it when turning the wheel and pull it off.
Old 25 October 2023, 21:23   #196

RIBase
I think that this is another of those “what works for you, works” scenarios. On the RIB, I clip the killcord to my LJ crotch strap. On the SIB, I’ve tried it on both wrist & thigh, I prefer it on my thigh. It’s what works for me.
Old 25 October 2023, 21:29   #197

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Generally not recommended on the wrist because of the possibility of slipping off. I usually attach to crotch strap on life jacket as at the helm makes it nice and low so I don’t catch it when turning the wheel and pull it off.
Hence the use of a thick elastic wrist band to attach the kill cord too.

Whilst on an SR4 (jockey seats) I had the kill cord around my thigh, I didn't even notice it was there, but on my sib I prefer it on my wrist.

My own personal veiw is, providing the kill cord is securely attached to the helm, is comfortable and can't accidentally be pulled out of the stop, that's the right way for you.

Edit: PD beat me to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	144081  
Old 26 October 2023, 09:02   #198

>>>Generally not recommended on the wrist because of the possibility of slipping off.

Yep sorry, appreciate that. I clip to a wrist strap of my coat if wearing that, if no coat usually have a velcro thingy for the wrist I think meant for wind surf leashes and if for some reason just down to the bare wrist have a slim wrist and big hands so even in that scenario the risk of failure is minimal.
Old 26 October 2023, 09:21   #199

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
>>>Generally not recommended on the wrist because of the possibility of slipping off.

Yep sorry, appreciate that. I clip to a wrist strap of my coat if wearing that, if no coat usually have a velcro thingy for the wrist I think meant for wind surf leashes and if for some reason just down to the bare wrist have a slim wrist and big hands so even in that scenario the risk of failure is minimal.

Not in any way meant as a criticism more to point out to less experienced readers slipping off needs to be a consideration. As PD says different strokes…[emoji4]
Old 26 October 2023, 09:31   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Loin cloths are for wusses…..
Ah, but you see my Loin Cloth has a Carabiner for the kill cord.
The alternative attachment point smarts a little when you go over the side.