Old 30 July 2012, 19:23   #1

What inflatable would you recommend?

Hi Guys

First of all this is my first post and I also know next to bugger all about boating so please bear with me

A few years back four of my mates and I bought a Norman 20ft crusier with the best intentions of doing it up and going out and about on it. None of us fish, dive etc so any excursions would be just for recreational use.

Anyway years later and its still sitting there in its berth at the local marina. We go and sit on it take our kids crabbing at the marina and thats about it. All my friends have two or three young kids so getting the boat going is way down on the list at the mo.

We did get into kayaking for a bit and bought some sevylor rangers which was fun but found it was a lot of effort and kayaks are quite restictive plus we couldn't take the kids out.

The reason for the back story is to give some idea as to what type of rib i am looking for which would be basically a family safe boat, that chuggs along, but something that has a bit of ooomfff for when its just adults. The reason i'm now thinking to get a rib is that seems the best way to get out on the water for my/our needs. i.e no fuss, easy boating, minimal expense, no paddling, quick in and out of the water

The marina has a great beach that you can only get to by boat and many creeks and a seal colony so the boat would be for poodling around and getting to the beach.

We intend to either fold up after use and chuck it in the main boat, the Norman cruiser, or rest it over the bow.

I am looking at two boats one is 600 with an airdeck and the other is only 350 with an aluminium floor. Here they are and can you let me have your views please on which one to get if any, or any other suggestions are much appreciated. It obviously would be a bonus if the cheaper one was just a good, as looks wise they are equal, but would be happy to pay for the more expensive one if it was much better?

Waveline 3.2M Inflatable Dinghy - Airdeck Floor, Inflatable Boats & Dinghies | Mailspeed Marine

Inflatable Dinghy River Boat Tender w/ Aluminium Paddles & Flooring Family Size | eBay

Many thanks

Baz

Old 31 July 2012, 03:03   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Baz, welcome to the forum - this question (which boat?) gets asked every week and it would be useful to search or look back over the SIB forum from the last year to see loads of answers and advice. These are SIB's you are mentioning not RIB's (which have a rigid fibreglass hull). I can try and sum up the general consensus though - if you want to take say 2 adults and 2 kids or 3 adults then 3.4m would be the minimal size really, a 9.8 2 stroke or if more than 2 small adults then preferably a 15hp 2 stroke will be minimum. Don't buy a cheap boat 'new', waste of time and money - always go for a secondhand used package on eBay that will perform better and lose you no money come resale - stick with the well known makes - Zodiac, Honwave, Quicksilver, Yamaha, Suzumar. Figure on 1200 to 1800 (boat/engine) depending on how hard you look and how much searching you do.

Old 31 July 2012, 06:56   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Although the advice to buy quality and used is sound, I have to say the new 300 quid boat looks tempting. The other issue with used boats is repairs. Fixing things can be fairly easy, but if you dont have any DIY skills, even small repairs can get fery expensive.

It comes down to personal choice. The airdeck will be lighter and easier to assemble. The hard deck will be heavier, can be a pain to put together but will perform better under power (especially with engines at the top end of the power range)

I would guess that the quality of both boats will be very similar.

If you can leave the boat inflated accross the bow and roof of your boat I would go for the new hard deck, its only 300 and I'm sure you would nearly get your money back on eBay if you dont like it.
Old 31 July 2012, 07:42   #4

Thanks guys for some good advice.

I just realized that 3.2 is only 10.5 feet and not 11.5 feet so I probably will need something a bit bigger. I think 12 feet will be perfect.

Max, thanks for what you said but I think I wont need that much power/performance straight away,as just lookking for more of a put put to mooch around on. If we need more later we can upgrade then so I think I will be fine with a 4 or 5hp engine.

I'm also going to rule out the aluminium floor one as I've looked at a couple of videos on you tube on how they set them up and it looks like quite a lot of agrivation. I'm sure its not that hard once used to doing it but its still extra hassle that can be avoided.

I am essentially looking for an airdeck that is 3.4m - 3.6m long with a 4hp to 8/10hp motor just for getting to A to B, so not worried about performance but obviusly want it to be stable as poss cos of the kids.

So both of these boats are too small so it's back to the drawing board. Any ideas guys?

And thanks again for coming back to me

Cheers
Baz
Old 31 July 2012, 07:56   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'll say it now - have a look at the Bombard 380 aerotec . It will work fine ( but slowly with a 5hp ) but can take up to a 25 if needed . So it can 'grow' with you engine/perfromance wise.

It will cost you more unless you can find a used one ( which do come up ) but they do seem to be worth the money . ( I would say that as I have one - but so do a few others on here - do a search there is loads of talk about them)
Old 31 July 2012, 08:39   #6

Thanks Pete with have a look at one, also found this:

Honda 3.8M Air V Floor Dinghy, Inflatable Boats & Dinghies | Mailspeed Marine

Thanks
Baz
Old 31 July 2012, 08:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazmondo View Post
Thanks Pete with have a look at one, also found this:

Honda 3.8M Air V Floor Dinghy, Inflatable Boats & Dinghies | Mailspeed Marine

Thanks
Baz

Honwaves are always popular and have a good reputation - there is a member on here ( clydeoutboards ? ) that is a dealer that it may be worth trying to get in touch with .
Old 31 July 2012, 10:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Honwaves are always popular and have a good reputation - there is a member on here ( clydeoutboards ? ) that is a dealer that it may be worth trying to get in touch with .
Cheers will do....liking the honwave at the mo, just been checking it out on YouTube and its ticking all the right boxes so far ....the bombard is a tad too expensive for something they may be a 'flash in the pan' as my wife keeps saying, lol.

I used to have a sevylor kayak that was about 11ft long and took about 10 mins to pump with a foot pump.

Roughly how long does it take to manually pump a boat like the honwave 3.8 up?

I'm thinking I could roll this dingy up and store it on the Norman, and when I need it just drag it out of the boat (there would always be two adults at least) which is moored on a 3ft ish wide wooden floating pontoon at titchmarsh marina (you can see it here its the first row of boats in the channel, not the ones in the basin : https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tit...ed=0CEEQ_AUoAg).

Would it be feasible to pump the dingy up on the pontoon, put the engine on it, and then drop it maybe 2 or 3 feet onto the water, or does that sound a bit dodgy?

Just tring to get an idea about real-time size and weight, and how long I would be blocking the pontoon pumping it up?

cheers
Baz
Old 31 July 2012, 10:27   #9

Most tend to end up with a bravo high pressure electric pump as the floors need a high pressure , which is much simpler with an electric pump ! Or the stirrup types pumps can do it , but it will just take longer and take more effort ! . My bombard is max of five minutes ( if that ) with a bravo pump and maybe ten manually with more effort

I think you will be fine dropping it over the side . I used to do it with a small inflatable - stern first ( with engine in the raised positon ) over the bow of a rib which was maybe 2-3 feet off the water.

The honwaves are known for being welll built but I'm not sure of their weight , but at 3.8 it will be far simpler with 2 of you .
Old 31 July 2012, 10:36   #10

Thanks Pete very helpful.

I think your right far easier with an electric pump just been looking at the bravo superthingy pump, spose thats another 100+ quid into the mix

Thanks again for all your help

Baz