Old 31 July 2012, 11:30   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

there is an offer on when you buy it as a package and you get the 12hp bravo electric pump for free.

Old 31 July 2012, 11:53   #12

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
You may find it useful to use a battery booster unit to power the pump. That way you can avoid having to blow the boat up close to car etc. if you're going to blow the boat up on a pontoon how easy is tha access to +12v

Old 31 July 2012, 12:14   #13

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
i`d steer clear of the second one ,it looks a bit too cheap !... i wouldn`t want to attach a donut on the back with canvas handles.... read back through some threads plenty of discussions over engine/boat size
Old 31 July 2012, 12:21   #14

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
Looking for first inflatable
Old 31 July 2012, 16:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppenman View Post
You may find it useful to use a battery booster unit to power the pump. That way you can avoid having to blow the boat up close to car etc. if you're going to blow the boat up on a pontoon how easy is tha access to +12v
Just a battery on the boat which powers two little caravan fluresant lights and has a trickle charge solar panel attached to it.

Can i plug a Bravo doda to that or will it drain the battery instantly?

Cheers
Baz
Old 01 August 2012, 14:32   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
I'll say it now - have a look at the Bombard 380 aerotec . It will work fine ( but slowly with a 5hp ) but can take up to a 25 if needed . So it can 'grow' with you engine/perfromance wise.

It will cost you more unless you can find a used one ( which do come up ) but they do seem to be worth the money . ( I would say that as I have one - but so do a few others on here - do a search there is loads of talk about them)
There's a reason these are so popular round here. It's because they are good. We've tried a stack of different boats between us, and they are a great all round boat. Well made, decent size, light, easy to set up and pack away. What more could you want?

This week I'm running one of mine with a 5hp on the Thames as a tender. There's plenty of space and it is more than fast enough for river use. On the sea I run a 15hp 2-stroke as I don't need the performance (or carrying aggro) of a 25hp.

I agree they aren't cheap and I certainly wouldn't want to buy new, but you should be able to find a decent used one for a reasonable price.

You don't need an expensive inflator, but they are good to have. A decent stirrup pump is about 20 and will do the job, and you can pick up a cheap electric inflator for a few quid which will take most of the effort out and you'll just need to top it off to pressure manually.
Old 01 August 2012, 15:54   #17

Thanks John for some good advice.

I am keeping a look out for a bombard as they seem to be the way to go. There is one for 1350 on ebay which is more than the budget of a grand for the boat and 500 for the engine, plus the seller won't deliver and its 3 hour drive away.

I did see this:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/inflatables/suzumar-31m-inflatable-boat-vib-suzuki-6hp-fo-AVL059
which although small would be perfect for my needs and first time boat (can always upgrade next year if I need to/use it enough). Plus its all in with an engine thats had a once over, but it went last night

I reckon your right and I will be fine with a stirrup and already got one so will wait and see before investing in a lecky one.

The sevylor kayak used to take about 10 mins and then we had to paddle the damn thing which was a slog as the canvas jackets used to hold the water and make them extremely heavy.

Mmmmm....gutted about that Suzumar, are they any good by the way? Hope not lol

cheers
Baz
Old 10 August 2012, 18:19   #18

Update...

Right then, ended up with an excel sd330 which someone here kindly gave a link to in earlier post. Got it from the excel dealer as a used one for 450 and its in very good condition.

Went to buy a Johnson that I 'won' on ebay for 225 but it was really old pre war thing that the bloke couldn't get started on the viewing so we agreed amicably to scrap the deal.

A few days later and after looking at every ad and ringing round loads of marina's and boat yards i sourced a yamaha 4stroke 4hp for 560 as its in mint condition.

Plan to get out and try it tmrw......yay!!!!!
Old 10 August 2012, 18:52   #19

Have a couple of questions though:

1. Is there an electric pump that you can charge at home and then just take
The pump and charged battery to blow up the boat? All the ones i have
Looked at have the croc clips to charge of a battery in situ. As i am not
Near my car and i don't want to sap the main boats battery by plugging anything onto that. it only has a trickle charge going into it from a small solar panel.

2. Is there a very very small fold away elctric auxillary motor you can get as a back up?

Many thanks

Baz
Old 11 August 2012, 02:57   #20
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazmondo View Post
Have a couple of questions though:

1. Is there an electric pump that you can charge at home and then just take
The pump and charged battery to blow up the boat? All the ones i have
Looked at have the croc clips to charge of a battery in situ. As i am not
Near my car and i don't want to sap the main boats battery by plugging anything onto that. it only has a trickle charge going into it from a small solar panel.

2. Is there a very very small fold away elctric auxillary motor you can get as a back up?

Many thanks

Baz
If you're talking about cheap pumps then topping off with a stirrup, yes-go outdoors used to sell them. If you mean the bee's knees expensive ones then a Bravo bst 12 Batt pump will do the lot, cordless.

As for the electric motor, no. You'll have to carry a car battery to power it.Generally they're utter pants unless you want to pay megabucks for a Torqueedo, which are bloody expensive. Oars are better.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote