Old 12 November 2013, 19:35   #1

Town: Miami
Boat name: Oceano
Length: no boat
What inflatable material would be best?

Hello,

I am looking to recreate a "Water Bike" Like the one attached to my post. I am trying to figure out what material would be best for my idea. I have been told many different materials but would really appreciate it if I can gain some insight from you all.

I was looking into creating 2 transparent (Clear) inflatable tubes. Something unique and different from what you see on a regular (Yellow, Blue's, etc). I was told that it would not be a wise decision on my part because CLEAR material has no supported fabric to withstand such weight so it would just flop around in the water and not function well to my liking. Can someone elaborate on that for me? Can it be done?

If my first idea in creating transparent tubing no feasible what material should I look into that is durable, unique in some way shape or form, and glides through water fairly easy? Also where would i be able to buy such material?

I would appreciate your thoughts and concerns and would like to hopefully finalize on a material soon to bring my idea into fruition!
Old 13 November 2013, 14:08   #2

Town: Seattle, Washington, USA
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk IIC
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20hp 4-stroke
Hello,

You can most easily create a "Water Bike" by following the plans attached to my post. It also describes what materials would be best for your idea. I'm glad to provide some insight for you.

Sadly, it is true. CLEAR (regular) materials are most. Supporting an inflatable tube is very difficult and therefore that reason well to use only Plain (etc.) supported fabric without which only flop around, like you mention. The sides simply can't hold up to the. It is surely possible.

Very many such materials are adequate, but what you may find to use is Polychloroethene (PLASTIC). Most of manufactured is used in construction. It is cheap and easy to assemble. You should also investigate Plastic Pressure Pipe Systems, but watch out for low-quality phthalates. Lastly, I would recommend that you seek out information on Vinyloop®, this process consists of recovering plastic from composite materials through dissolution and precipitation. I think you that you shall find these all mostly serve to disappoint.

It pleases me to end to be so helpful in the service of your most exciting ideas. I look forward to our continued discussion!