Old 30 August 2015, 15:24   #31
Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I have a 2.85m Zodiac with a Tohatsu 9.8 on it.

This outfit will cope with open water but it's no fun when the waves get up. Also it's a solid floor which l'd say is better if you want to fish off it.

However if you plan to go out on the sea, l'd say you should get something bigger.
Do you need to roll the boat up or could you tow a trailler?

My friend has a 3.8m RIB with a 25hp on it. We were out around Anglesey a couple of weeks ago in choppy seas and it was a lot better than mine. In fact l stayed in the bay.

£2000 should buy you something nice second hand.

lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2015, 17:04   #32
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Originally Posted by NemesisUK View Post
I think the rule of thumb from everyone I asked was get the biggest you can manage.
I think that is good advice; I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they wished they had a smaller boat or engine - but sometimes small easy to launch boats get used more. The biggest you can manage will be determined by lots of things:
  • where you plan to store it
  • how you plan to transport it
  • how you plan to launch it
  • your age / fitness etc
  • what you can afford
Bear in mind that if you don't have one, a tow bar is not a trivial cost in the total cost of used SIB purchasing. £2k would get you a lot of used SIB though - stuff in this sort of range (Scottish SIB outing 2015 by the Gurnard) which would give you scope for much longer trips further from the shore etc.

If you do go smaller then I think willk's comment that a 2.3 is not much better than a set of oars is fair - and should probably give you an idea about how far from shore and the sort of conditions you'd want to go out in. I also predict that within a few years you'll be looking to upgrade!
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2015, 09:28   #33
Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
I also predict that within a few years you'll be looking to upgrade!
.......... or sell up. So either way buy a boat with a decent resale value.

For me something around 3.4m airfloor (I've never had problems fishing from them) with a 15hp 2 stroke or 10hp 4 stroke is about the sweet spot. Big enough for 2 to fish from, stable, and light enough to be handled by one person.

stray is offline   Reply With Quote