Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 26 November 2016, 00:50   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
What do you leave in your boat when moored overnight?

Apologies in advanced for asking something stupid but..

I'm trying to decide if I should be packing my boat up every night or whether to risk leaving it moored or whether to pull it out of the water and chain it. Obviously I will insure it, I know there's a possibility it will be uninsured if left floating but this is not the point.

If I don't pack everything up, what is generally safe to leave in the boat under the full cover? Should I be removing oars, tank, seat cushions, bow canopy, anchor etc etc? Would be left somewhere in Salcombe, haven't a clue where or what to do for best. Sleepless nights already! Options and suggestions please.
Old 26 November 2016, 07:22   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Do you mean "overnight" as in one night when on a "long cruise" where you are sleeping nearby ashore, or do you mean weeks or months at a time when the boat is out of sight?
Old 26 November 2016, 08:56   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
The majority of people leave most of their kit when leaving the boat on a mooring either for a few hours or even overnight. I generally remove things from view, and if the boat has a removable GPS or similar remove that and put it in a locker out of view. I've fitted a lockable catch on a large locker on my RIB for added reassurance, particularly when it comes to storing expensive waterproofs / lifejackets etc.

As for more long term storage, if I were leaving it in a publicly accessible location I'd remove all of the more expensive items that are more easy to steal. I had a load of stuff taken once - flares, hand held VHF etc. I personally wouldn't worry about an anchor, cushions etc as these aren't really attractive to thieves.

Salcombe is generally a very friendly and safe location so I personally wouldn't be worrying too much. Just be sensible. Well worth checking whats covered with your insurance. A decent policy will cover the boat on a mooring overnight.
Old 27 November 2016, 01:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Do you mean "overnight" as in one night when on a "long cruise" where you are sleeping nearby ashore, or do you mean weeks or months at a time when the boat is out of sight?
Overnight means we would be a few miles away at the caravan site where we will be staying for two weeks.

I was enjoying the guernard posts and noticed that he folds up the boat overnight and secures the engine in the roof box. Maybe I should do something similar I thought.
Old 27 November 2016, 06:08   #5

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
I have been to Salcombe several times with both a sib and rib and done different things so I guess it really depends what you plan to do. I didn't take my engine off my sib every night when I left it with all the others outside the harbour office. I have also used a tidal mooring with my rib and would happily leave nonvaluable stuff in a locker under a jockey seat. However I wouldn't leave an expensive life jacket on board. If visiting somewhere for a couple of hours say the Millbrook at Southpool then I would put everything in the lockers.

Salcombe is a great holiday destination![emoji41]
Old 27 November 2016, 08:07   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Overnight means we would be a few miles away at the caravan site where we will be staying for two weeks.

I was enjoying the guernard posts and noticed that he folds up the boat overnight and secures the engine in the roof box. Maybe I should do something similar I thought.
I don't know Salcombe, so you'll need to make your own mind up, but I think a common sense approach, where anything easily sellable and portable like h/held VHF and GPS is worth taking with you - but if it is difficult for you to carry like the anchor, or there is so much it doesn't fit in one small bag I wouldn't bother. If its all under a tight fitting cover I might even leave the electrical stuff if it was in a locker or container where someone who gets under the cover still wasn't going to see it.

In rural Scotland I'd be even more relaxed.
Old 27 November 2016, 08:32   #7

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: Lion
Make: Wellcraft,brig450l
Engine: Outboard 225,40
You will be fine down here just be sensible , take your fuel tank with you Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480239035.419452.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	117227Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480239069.448750.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	117228Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480239116.580426.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	117229 and valuables and gps etc , I have left a boat on moorings and a tender at batsons for a number of years and no issues , one of the best places in the uk to mess around with boats , you will love it .
Old 27 November 2016, 15:45   #8

Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
It's simple common sense. Electronics/lifejacket/flares keep in waterproof holdalls (see link) so they are easy to ship ashore. Padlocks for anything left but stick into-chafe tapes under the padlocks as they will wear away you fibreglass.

Tri-Laminate Dry Duffel Kit Bag Waterproof Canoe Kayak Fishing Watersports | eBay
Old 28 November 2016, 19:30   #9

Great pics Midlife thanks and thanks to everyone who commented I'm somewhat reassured. June can't come soon enough although I hope to be out and about elsewhere well before then.