Old 16 April 2013, 21:44   #1

Town: Somerset
Length: 4m +
What boat to replace 2002 Futura?

I'm new to this forum but asking a question I'm sure has been asked before…what sib?

I had a Zodiac Futura 4.2m, c.2002 with 30hp 2 stroke. Some tosser nicked it so I'm now looking to replace it.

I liked the fact it was relatively light and launched on its own transom wheels. But it performed poorly in chop (as no hull V) and with a family of five (2 adults, 3 small kids) it twisted and the engine lost grip in the water frequently, even in moderate (less than 1 ft) chop. I think the air floor boats are brilliant on flat water (lakes and rivers), and when carrying one or two people only.

So looking for alu floor to take the power carrying more people (would like to be able to plane 5 adults up). And something with a V to do better in coastal conditions. That said I recognise the limitations of SIBS. Intend to keep it on a road trailer. Don't want a RIB as too heavy to launch on transom wheels.

Honda Honwaves seem good, so too the Sea Pro, Sea Search, Quicksilver etc. Any that stand out from the crowd? Or are they all generally decent?

Final question, any real advantage of 30hp engine over 25hp? Does the extra power come throughout the range, or just at the top end? Would like to tow kids on rings, wake boards etc so if I can find one, 2 stroke would be perfect.

Any thoughts gratefully received

Many thanks
Old 17 April 2013, 09:53   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi if you are going to keep it on a trailer then I would defiantly be looking at a Rib over any of the sibs I have a BOMBARD AEROTECH 38O and it is great fun but the SR4 I have is so much better in any swell & my 6M Ribeye gets even better in the chop!
I can launch any of them on my own with out any bother. Unless you want to be able to pack it away then look at a Rib!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 10:38   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Hi if you are going to keep it on a trailer then I would defiantly be looking at a Rib over any of the sibs I have a BOMBARD AEROTECH 38O and it is great fun but the SR4 I have is so much better in any swell & my 6M Ribeye gets even better in the chop!
I can launch any of them on my own with out any bother. Unless you want to be able to pack it away then look at a Rib!
The zodiac pro 4.2m can easily be fitted with launching wheels and launched like the futura if that is what you're looking for. I would suggest moving to a small rib because you are already going to be using a trailer
Old 17 April 2013, 14:25   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Plainly in agreement with what have been stated, must add : after a rib, you won't like anymore a sib...

Happy Boating
Old 17 April 2013, 16:28   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
dont think there are any deep v SIBS with ally floor, personally ally floors are a pain,, flat ally with no water drain, stay wet and remain slippery. Bombard aerotec way to go. it probably is the best SIB on the market
Old 17 April 2013, 16:31   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
dont think there are any deep v SIBS with ally floor, personally ally floors are a pain,, flat ally with no water drain, stay wet and remain slippery. Bombard aerotec way to go. it probably is the best SIB on the market
But surely that's way too small for planing with five adults? Remember he is moving from a futura which is a very capable 4.2m SIB. An aerotec would be a bit of a come down. Unless they come in larger sizes ~4.5m with 50hp?
Old 17 April 2013, 17:36   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
I Agree but there is nothing else that would be close.it would be the next best thing unless you can think of anything, Bombard 420 with 25-30hp if you can find one
Old 17 April 2013, 20:54   #8

Town: Somerset
Thanks for the responses guys.

I agree a 4m RIB would be great, but do need to be able to pack it away. Also a bit expensive.

Aerotec 3.8 would be great, but would like a bit more space to carry the clobber that goes with family boat outings. A mate has the 4.2m version with 30hp and it rocks. But they're v rare, so doubt I'll find one.

Any boat around this size will be a compromise in some way. I reckon a Honwave 4m with 25hp 2 stroke (a dealer has just offered one for c.£3k, great condition, 2 yr old, trailer + launch wheels) will do a good job. Car toppable, pulls a kid on a wakeboard, tin floor will give me rigidity I felt was missing on the old Zodiac. Enough hull V to get through some chop.

If an Aerotec 3.8 comes up 2nd hand around my £3k budget I would be interested. But there don't seem to be that many of them, probably for a good reason - satisfied boaters don't want to sell them!

Happy boating!
Old 17 April 2013, 21:38   #9

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
I suspect you'll be rather disappointed with the "V" on any Sib. They don't go through chop anywhere near as well as a Rib - even a Rib with the same V.

Does it have to be packable or could you use a small trailer?
Old 23 April 2013, 14:09   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Although a rib cuts water through chop or slight wavy conditions much better than a sib. Both will experiment severe water impacts that will be transfered to passengers if at speed, so it's not a good idea to run too fast if counting with passengers not seating on seats, pedestals or whatever, or will bump too much while riding feeling very unconfortable. (from experience)

If you or your passengers have solid kiddneys, back's in inmaculate condition, go for speed. The tiller driver is the only passenger in a sib/rib that will bump/rock the least, better throttle to achieve minimum plane (what comes inmediately after displacement speed) when riding on choppy seas, passengers will be eternally thankful, including yourself.

Happy Boating
Old 23 April 2013, 16:40   #11

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi
Heres a general view of the two Sib hull types you are considering: alu-floor boats have shallow v, flattening out at the transom. This causes the boat to slide a little in the turns and ride more on the tubes, so they tend to bump over the top of the chop. Air-floors have slightly deeper entry v that continues to the transom, so better grip in the turns but they tend to flex a bit over the chop, especially if you have weight fore and aft. So, as said before, both will show weak points in the chop, but the plus points and enjoyment you get will totally outweigh any negatives. If you get the chance, visit a Honwave dealer to compare the 380 air floor against the 400 alu floor.
Old 23 April 2013, 17:00   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
How about a tunnel hull SIB, like a Zapcat but with a closed bow? From what I've heard they perform well and would probably be the nearest fit to your requirements.

You may struggle to find one though as there don't seem to be many around. Might be worth a try though.