Old 25 March 2009, 01:00   #1

Town: Liverpool
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
What 10hp?

Hello Everyone.

I am going to buy a new outboard for my 3.1 Zodiac FastRoller (air floor).
I have around £1400 to spend.
I think I have narrowed it down to a Honda or a Tohatsu, I am drawn to the Honda but the Tohatsu is around 20 pounds lighter and the Honda dealer did suggest the Honda was a big lump that had surprised some customers with it's size.
Size and weight might be an issue as I am likely to lug it around a bit.
Any experience or suggestions would be gratefully accepted

regards
Old 25 March 2009, 01:09   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
We had a 9.8 tohatsooooooo on a 3m Suzumar, it was fantastic.... light, simple and it packed a punch.

I belive that the Tohatsu's are the best power to wieght 9.8 around. Get one you wont be dissapionted.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2009, 01:15   #3

Excellent , thanks Yoyo, I think they are a tad cheaper than the Honda's too

regards
Old 25 March 2009, 01:57   #4
RIBnet supporter

Try National A1 over on the Wirral, the guy's name is Jon he may be able to do a good deal.

Rember tho that due to EU legislation 2 strokes cant be imported into the UK for the last 2yrs, This means that there aint many new ones remaining. Do a search on this forum for more info.
Old 25 March 2009, 08:12   #5

I know there are two big advantages to the two stroke which are two of my priorities, weight and size, but I like the sound of the advantages of the four stroke. No mixing, quiet, cleaner, easier to start. I have an Evinrude 8hp two stroke at the moment that was some years old when I got it , there is just something I am not sure about, and you have to have 100% confidence in the motor, (not that I ever plan going very far from the shore )

Do you think Jon would cut me a deal. If I can get one at the right price locally I would rather do so than off the internet.....I will tell him Yoyo sent me ....If I do go for the Tohatsu

regards
Old 25 March 2009, 08:42   #6

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
We had a 9.8 tohatsooooooo on a 3m Suzumar, it was fantastic.... light, simple and it packed a punch.

I belive that the Tohatsu's are the best power to wieght 9.8 around. Get one you wont be dissapionted.
Great little engine if you can get one.

A 2006 9.8 as new, recently sold on ebay for £1500 or thereabouts.
Old 25 March 2009, 08:44   #7

This one not too far from you, buy the lot and sell the boat on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220380772231

Check that it is a short shaft though.
Old 25 March 2009, 09:33   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
This one not too far from you, buy the lot and sell the boat on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220380772231

Check that it is a short shaft though.
This one looks good...but it is fitted with remotes, I presume you want the tiller arm version...damm....I may have a bid myself
Old 25 March 2009, 10:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
This one looks good...but it is fitted with remotes, I presume you want the tiller arm version...damm....I may have a bid myself
Last picture - sure looks like a tiller arm to me
Old 25 March 2009, 10:54   #10

thanks very much for that chaps, I really want a new one, it's not that I am rolling in dosh, and I know new does not guarantee reliability, but unless you really know the history of a second hand engine you always have niggling doubts.

Out of interest I wonder how much it will go for , there is a day left, I think it will break the £1,000 mark, what do you think?

So! Is someone going to sell me the benefits of a Honda or am I destined for a Totsy?

regards
Old 25 March 2009, 11:53   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Last picture - sure looks like a tiller arm to me

Oh yes sorry. I didnt even get past the first pic.........
Old 25 March 2009, 15:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlads Quiff View Post
thanks very much for that chaps, I really want a new one, it's not that I am rolling in dosh, and I know new does not guarantee reliability, but unless you really know the history of a second hand engine you always have niggling doubts.

Out of interest I wonder how much it will go for , there is a day left, I think it will break the £1,000 mark, what do you think?

So! Is someone going to sell me the benefits of a Honda or am I destined for a Totsy?

regards
I also was in similar position and bought a Honda 4 stroke that had only done 2 hours.
However i wanted more power and something lighter. I then bought a Tohatsu rebadged 25 which i converted to a 30. Same weight as the 20 but a 50% power increase.
Would i go back to a nice modern 4 stroke?.....no chance.

Because of it's simplicity, i can work on it my self, have a better understanding of my engine (in the event something goes wrong) and dont have to pay 4 stroke dealer servicing costs. Remember warranties are only valid if you service the engine in accordance with manufacturers reccomended time/hour intervals.

Oh it's for sale if you are interested
Old 25 March 2009, 15:50   #13

Town: Trelogan
Boat name: Supacat
Make: TT-Supacat
Engine: Tohatsu 50 outboard
Hi Gibbo,
Out of interest how much do you want for the Tohatsu.We have a prospective buyer for one of our boats,but after taking him out he scared himself sh##less with the 50hp and said he thinks he would rather have a 30hp two stroke.
We will tell him about your engine.

Regards
Howy
Old 25 March 2009, 16:16   #14

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
experiment..

I had an avon 3.10 Rover RIB, with a 10hp mercury 4 stroke it took with 2 adults onboard 1 minute to get on the plane!!! engine was correctly trimmed, weight in the boat distributed ok. But a 10hp Fourstoke is just too heavy. I then had an 8hp 2 stroke Yamaha and it took about 20 seocnds to get on the plane.

Fuel issues asie, becasue unless you use a 10hp everyday all day, they don't use much at all, lugging a 2 stroke around is easier and you will find that a 10/15hp fourstroke weighs similar to a 25hp two stroke..
And I can testify to you that after a while you will wish you had bought a 4 stroke. I have had a honda 4 stroke for a small yacht and couldn't fault it. Except when I wanted to lift it off the transom!!
Old 25 March 2009, 17:21   #15

Ha ha thanks...........
You are all trying to talk me into a two stroke. If I could get a brand new two stroke I would go for the idea, I know all the advantages, but you can't get them now. I want a new motor so need the best and lightest four stroke and that seems to be between the Honda and the Totsy.

regards
Old 27 March 2009, 07:31   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by howy View Post
Hi Gibbo,
Out of interest how much do you want for the Tohatsu.We have a prospective buyer for one of our boats,but after taking him out he scared himself sh##less with the 50hp and said he thinks he would rather have a 30hp two stroke.
We will tell him about your engine.

Regards
Howy
Sorry Howy.

Should have made myself clearer, i'm selling the Honda 20 however i am looking at a smaller sib and engine set up, so if i find something the Mariner 25/30 will be up for sale.

Old 03 April 2009, 08:20   #17

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
As people have said, go for the 2stroke Tohatsu.
Theres nothing wrong with the Hondas, but they are big lumps, i used to work for a Honda dealer and getting these on and off the servicing benches and trolleys was hard enough with one person, so imagine lifting into the back of a car etc. 2 people could man handle it but you need to know you can do it on your own if needs be.

Also i know people say the mixing is a pain but removing the oil for travel the exspensive servicing if you cant do it yourself, in my opinion makes 2strokes far better if your on the move!
Old 03 April 2009, 08:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam12345 View Post
As people have said, go for the 2stroke Tohatsu.
Theres nothing wrong with the Hondas, but they are big lumps, i used to work for a Honda dealer and getting these on and off the servicing benches and trolleys was hard enough with one person, so imagine lifting into the back of a car etc. 2 people could man handle it but you need to know you can do it on your own if needs be.

Also i know people say the mixing is a pain but removing the oil for travel the exspensive servicing if you cant do it yourself, in my opinion makes 2strokes far better if your on the move!

Hi Sam , thanks for the reply.
If I could get a new two stroke it would probably be my preferred option because of the weight. The Honda and the Tohatsu seem to be the lightest of the four strokes which was my main reason for looking at them.
But I do want it to be a new engine, so as I have as much confidence in it as poss.
This business with draining the oil for transporting the engine - is that neccessary with all four strokes or are some of them designed to get round this.
I think I need to go and lift a couple of these engines as I will be largely on my own (apart from Mrs VQ-and she won't be helping me do that!)

regards
Old 03 April 2009, 14:04   #19

Town: Littlehampton
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlads Quiff View Post
Hi Sam , thanks for the reply.
If I could get a new two stroke it would probably be my preferred option because of the weight. The Honda and the Tohatsu seem to be the lightest of the four strokes which was my main reason for looking at them.
But I do want it to be a new engine, so as I have as much confidence in it as poss.
This business with draining the oil for transporting the engine - is that neccessary with all four strokes or are some of them designed to get round this.
I think I need to go and lift a couple of these engines as I will be largely on my own (apart from Mrs VQ-and she won't be helping me do that!)

regards
Yeah that the problem new 2strokes are hard to come by, i think there the way forward but "eco" people obviously dont :P
Not all 4's have to have the oil drained but the engine will need to be laid the correct side with as little movement as poss, which isnt hard when its a big old lump!

As you say your best bet is to go and have a look at a few and manhandle them, im sure a dealer wont mind you transfering one from trolley to trolley etc to get the feel.
Another problem with the fours is they arent designed with nice lifting points and are very rounded.
Old 03 April 2009, 15:24   #20

Town: Poole.
Make: Selva
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard - Selva
What 10 h.p.

The lightest weight 10 h.p. 4T Outboard on the market is the Selva Piranha 9.9 - the weight of a standard shaft, manual start model is 30.5 kg.