Old 12 August 2011, 00:20   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
West coasting in a dry boat.

Just been away on holiday o'er west, to the Summer Isles, with the boat. To counter the influx of seawater, which I had previously experienced whilst giving her some welly, I tried out a 1" transom spacer to raise the engine - as was suggested here. It all worked a treat, still some splashing at the back but i'd say 90% better and that will do me. So, thank you very much for useful tips and pics. Also, she's up onto plane straight away, quicker than previous.

Was attacked almost everytime I went out by the same huge seabird. It tried multiple times to shight on me, I had to really swear loudly at it and as it continued it's attack runs and moved closer in like a shightgoose shaped mirage with exocet - I took to gobbing at it, which seemed to work. Dont know if Bill Oddie would approve. See 3rd picture, that pic is unzoomed, it was a right dirty goose of a thing. A Skua I believe. Any closer and it would have got both paddles off its dirty, stinking beak. A stunning bird, all the same though and we had a good laugh together over the fortnight.

Anyway, after making it through open(?) seas, unshighted by the giant fabled dirty shightgoose, I singlehandedly discovered a seal hive - see last pic.

Also, passed a fellow sibber in a QUICKSILVER HD (red??) with a honda 15 in Old Dornie harbour - anyone on here??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boatandwater.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	61575   Click image for larger version

Name:	boatandsand.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	61576   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirtygoose.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	61577   Click image for larger version

Name:	sealhive.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	61578  
Old 12 August 2011, 06:58   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Good pics,.. is the second one Isle Ristol ? .. and as for the Skua, stand still next time,.. it will land on your head .. but I wouldnt reccomend it .. and dont sit eating a prawn sandwich with him about either, because he'll have it .. Aye we had some cracking days this last couple of weeks, and some sh*ters too .. Cairn skerries is good for seals, as is a wee bay of the east side of Eilean Dubh.
Old 12 August 2011, 07:45   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddy View Post
Was attacked almost everytime I went out by the same huge seabird.
Skua. Nasty things, wouldn't recommend them.

Seals. The Chicken of the Ocean. Yum.

Excellent photies, BTW.
Old 12 August 2011, 10:15   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Great photos. I'm just getting together the final boaty bits and very much looking forward to 10 days Sibbing in the Lochalsh/Skye area. Mind you I don't think there are many sandy beaches in that area but should return with some nice images of the rocky bits.
Old 12 August 2011, 12:24   #5

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 3.3,75
Cool pics !!,
I was thinking of Old Dornie jetty and the summer Isles , But was a bit unsure If I could Launch there. (Until I got home and checked google earth) , Just a bit gutted I didnt go there now !!.
Ive Just got back from 3 weeks in Scotland , Torridon/Sheidaig ,North Skye(Uig and Staffin Bay) , Kyle of Lochalsh and Mallaig to ardnamurchan Point with my Rib.

Scotlands west coast is Stunning !!
Old 12 August 2011, 16:08   #6

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Thanks guys, it is a truly stunning area - shame about all the WAFIs

>>Bigmuz7: Good pics,.. is the second one Isle Ristol ?<<

Twas indeed sir, you have a keen eye. Suspect you have been there a many a time. Good wee beach, plenty of wildlife, beautiful sand and it even has half a cave just ready for a malt whisky induced overnight bivvy. Was looking across the water at Udrigle with binocs to see if you were buzzing about!!!?! Were you up there this summer?? Bits of tornado washing up on the beach??? Has slaggan sold yet?

The Skua was fairly violent with me, but you should have seen him attacking the local crabpot mannie. He's pulling his creel (sp?) in with one hand whilst trying to fend off the shightgoose with the other. He shouldve tried gobbing at it, skua dont like it and gets the picture pretty quick. Your dirty gooseshight may drop onto my head from above BUT I can gob at birds from all angles. Proper smoker's gob too!

Alzi - Nae problem lauching from Old Dornie, they have a pretty good (newish?) slip. Seemed to dryout a fair bit at low tide though, had to raise engine and paddle through the northern side. Sounds like you had an excellent 3 weeks.
Old 12 August 2011, 20:50   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
A Skua I believe. Any closer and it would have got both paddles off its dirty, stinking beak. A stunning bird, all the same though and we had a good laugh together over the fortnight.
Great pictures - seems you had better weather than us.

Regards the Skuas - these two followed me on a fishing trip. Very polite. No dive-bombing. It paid off - as they got a meal from me later on. You must have the 'Shameless cousin!'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2995.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	61623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2996.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	61624  
Old 12 August 2011, 21:10   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddy View Post
Twas indeed sir, you have a keen eye. Suspect you have been there a many a time. Good wee beach, plenty of wildlife, beautiful sand and it even has half a cave just ready for a malt whisky induced overnight bivvy. Was looking across the water at Udrigle with binocs to see if you were buzzing about!!!?! Were you up there this summer?? Bits of tornado washing up on the beach??? .
Yup .. I managed to blow the RIB apart on a run home to Mellon Udrigle .. usual prop out the water ride, off a force 5 or 6 on the back , the Tornado rides it really well but the tubes are old and couldnt take it BLOW OUT followed

Good times all the same I should post pics on another thread about how it all went wrong