Old 27 July 2010, 07:09   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Well i got it

Well picked up 20hp mariner yesterday,bit of a bugger to start ,i reckon it had been laying about a bit,as in not started in a while ,very smokey and only working on one cylinder to start with,a few tweeks here and there started and chucked it in gear soon emptied the bin of water,pee pipe was fine, pissing out,got manuel ,primer bulb and tank small tool kit with it £300 ,i thought a good price,small bit of petrol in the tank,wondered if it had a wee bit too much oil,as i say very smokey,calmed its self down,sounded loverly 1980's,so gonna be a little smokey,plus in a bin of water hard to get rid of ,just circulates,hope i have brought a good one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOS,where are you mate? what are your thoughts and anyone elses for that matter,have i done well?,,,,,,Thorney
Old 27 July 2010, 10:41   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
fresh petrol and correct oil mix clean /gap plugs and a good high speed run should cure it ,,
problem with running on the hose or in a tank of water is that the engine wont get much load on it causing oiling up of the cylinders, unless you have a very large tank that you can run the engine in gear and get some decent revs on it .
you dont know how old the petrol was or how much oil the last person putting in the mix,
Think i would put a new impeller in too ,at least have a look at it before serious use at sea
mart
Old 27 July 2010, 11:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
fresh petrol and correct oil mix clean /gap plugs and a good high speed run should cure it ,,
problem with running on the hose or in a tank of water is that the engine wont get much load on it causing oiling up of the cylinders, unless you have a very large tank that you can run the engine in gear and get some decent revs on it .
you dont know how old the petrol was or how much oil the last person putting in the mix,
Think i would put a new impeller in too ,at least have a look at it before serious use at sea
mart
dont know how old the petrol was or how much oil the last person putting in the mix,Yes you be right Mart ,recently been put in the impellor,was a little worring when only firing up one cylinder.he heated up the spark plug,don t want to do that each time,but well could be the petrol mix.got to get a stand to fire it up and have a play about
Old 27 July 2010, 11:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
dont know how old the petrol was or how much oil the last person putting in the mix,Yes you be right Mart ,recently been put in the impellor,was a little worring when only firing up one cylinder.he heated up the spark plug,don t want to do that each time,but well could be the petrol mix.got to get a stand to fire it up and have a play about
sounds like a new set of plugs wouldent go amiss either .
Old 27 July 2010, 11:58   #5

Quote:
sounds like a new set of plugs wouldent go amiss either .
Arh nothing two serious then,i say was running so i will get some plugs many thanks Mart
Old 27 July 2010, 13:03   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
dont know how old the petrol was or how much oil the last person putting in the mix,
Yeah, a lot of people go down the "and add a bit extra oil to be safe" route...... The guy I got my rib from told me he accurately measured it....... then added another 50ml to be safe!
Old 27 July 2010, 14:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Yeah, a lot of people go down the "and add a bit extra oil to be safe" route...... The guy I got my rib from told me he accurately measured it....... then added another 50ml to be safe!
Crikey i bet that was blowing smoke signals,lol,just lifted it up on to a work bench,black n decker type thing,bloody heavy on your own,thought better of it tho,i tied the bench tight to the line post,dont trust the bench wood tho doubled it up but only screwed on so need to bolt on a sturdy thick peice of timber,very frustrating as i wanna play with it,lol,have to get a proper stand now,doh more money,lol and of course a sack barrow to move it
Old 27 July 2010, 15:27   #8

as 9D280 says getting the correct oil mix helps , though if you are only cruising and not running at w.o.t for hours on end ,,a tad less oil is sometimes better than a tad too much as most engine manifacturers will go on the go on the extreame side of things to cover themselves .
Old 27 July 2010, 16:27   #9

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
if you are only cruising and not running at w.o.t for hours on end ,,a tad less oil is sometimes better than a tad too much as most engine manifacturers will go on the go on the extreame side of things to cover themselves .
I'll second that, the post didn't specify if previous owner "accurately measured" his mix and added extra 50 mm to each gallon or to a full tank, if per gallon, was adding 75% more as you only need 80 mm oil per gallon to have a 50:1 mix ratio. if using good quality 2 strokes oil, no need to add any extra than factory recommended, plugs will last longer and engine will smoke much less.

Happy Boating
Old 27 July 2010, 17:00   #10

with my 3.3 mariner i put in 100mm of TCW oil to 5 litres of petrol, ,should i do the same for the 20?
Old 27 July 2010, 17:07   #11

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
with my 3.3 mariner i put in 100mm of TCW oil to 5 litres of petrol, ,should i do the same for the 20?
80 mm is for a 3.75 Ltr/US gallon mix, maintaining same proportion should be ok.
Old 27 July 2010, 18:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
80 mm is for a 3.75 Ltr/US gallon mix, maintaining same proportion should be ok.
so i just keep with the 100mm and 5litre petrol can then?
Old 27 July 2010, 18:37   #13

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Or 500ml for every 25 litres.
Old 27 July 2010, 19:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Or 500ml for every 25 litres.
excellent i got it ,by christ i best buy more oil and more petrol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bang goes my wallet again,lol,least with my 3.3 pop pop,tis very cheap a few trips for a fiver,and now bigger toy more money,doh