weaver patch on zodiac GR
I just did my "first" patch job on my Zodiac MKIII GR.
My boats first life was as a fire rescue boat with a jet. A transom plate with a support was installed...when they put the bolts through the floor; the heads wore through the rubber,,cloth,,and bottom layer of rubber. Three of the holes were fixed, but they didn't do the last hole on the bottom side.
I made a heat lamp bank to warm the boat and materials. raised the work area off the floor and then put scrap 1" wood boards under the bad spot to give a nice work surface. I bought 1 square foot of hypalon (greytop and black bottom), weaver 2part glue (its what IBC of oregon sent me), emery paper, gallon of tolulene, wallpaper stitcher to roll down the patch material, paper towels to clean the surface, and masking tape to mark my area to glue, and a 1inch chip brush with bristles trimmed to 1/2".
1.I started with a clean dry boat deflated in my garage(2 months).
2.I used wood 4x4 and 1inch plywood to get it off the floor.
3.Using scrap 1x8 wood under the patch areas to have a nice firm area to work.
4.I clamped my keel tube to get it out of the way
5.Hung my 3lite heat light bank above the area overnight at 70F
6.I measured and cut my patch material; cutting rounded corners.
7.green non-stick masking tape to mask off my glue area.
8.emery paper to scuff off the area and patches
9.mixed my weaver 2001 glue in a paint mix cup with 25ml with 1ml of activator (the mix cup had a 25ml mark; and i used a small syringe to draw out 1ml of activator)
**25:1 ratio;;25ml plus 1ml was enough for me to do 4 patches 3x5inches two coats**
10.Stirred the mixed glue for 2-3 minutes and brushed it on the area AND the patches.
11.Set my timer for 10 minutes til the glue was dry
12.Second coat til tacky (my boat store suggests 3coats).
13.I carefully placed my patches in my taped squares and rolled them down as hard as i could rolling in many directions, then on to the next patch
14.its now curing under the heat lamp(its 40-50Foutside and grey skys) for the next three days and nights.
I did the bottom patch with three coats of glue and IT WORKED, so I flopped the boat over the next day and preped the inside next. After sitting overnight under the heatlamps I did the patch job, but with 5 patches I only had enough glue to do two coats (dry coat and a tacky coat). so far so good.