Old 18 August 2016, 21:00   #1

Town: Near Warrington
Length: no boat
Weather/swell limits for a sib

Hi,

Just trying to get an understanding of how regularly a sib is usable in the sea.
I know weather is complicated and combined with tides etc it's even more complex but just looking at general guidelines.

Apols for the Paragliding analogy but that's what I'm used to.

I'm very cautious and also don't want to waste a day sitting on takeoff waiting.
I look at xcweather.com and look at the site I'm considering flying. I take the forecast windspeed and double it to account for venturi and wind gradient at the top of the hill at takeoff. If the doubled windspeed exceeds 20mph I don't even bother going out. This formula is simple but has worked very well. I very very rarely go out and and spend the day parawaiting. Whereas when I was young and keen I'd happily sit all day waiting and hoping the forecast was wrong.

So my Q is an interest in your rules of thumb for whether it's even worth considering sea fishing on a sib weather-wise. For arguments sake let's take 1 mile off Fleetwood lancs as an example as that's one of my nearest coastal sites.

I know it's impossible to give a catch all answer but in your opinion. Are sibs only really enjoyable on that 1 millpond day a month? Or what kind of windspeed do people generally deem 'doable' or 'enjoyable' for sib sea fishing.

I should mention. I have no boat currently but seriously considering a new frib 360 with Suzuki df20 hence the Q's I've posted recently on here.

Thankyou very much.
Old 18 August 2016, 21:38   #2

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Off north Devon my limit is 10mph wind, 2.5ft swell. If the swell was long period, say 10secs or more, would venture out in slightly larger. Short period, say 7 secs or less = wind chop = very uncomfortable. Not sure about other sibs but I have not yet found a finite limit to the aerotecs capabilities, only my own bodies ability to absorb the impacts. I have been known to venture out quite a long way.
Old 18 August 2016, 21:55   #3

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
In this part of the world it's those small boats that head out in giant swell to rescue overturned boats. Not that I recommend heading out in 5m + swell but in my area that's what the young nut jobs live for.

Jon
Old 18 August 2016, 23:20   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
This is so hard to answer as so much depends of your understanding of what any particular wind speed is likely to do in the area you'll be in that day... and how changing tides/current will interact with that wind speed/direction.

We are a 90ml trip to the sea so to avoid wasting the journey we rarely travel unless the wind is below 20mph and prefer below 15mph... 10-12mph great.

This past two weeks in Scotland however it's only been a 10min job to put the boat in the water and we have been launching into a very sheltered bay where you can then nose out and see how it looks. So we have launched in up to 25mph winds and had some very entertaining runs.... hard work going out against the wind at a semi-displacement speed around 7-10kts but exhilarating returning with the waves on the plane at around 15-17kts.

Bear in mind this is with two fairly adults plus a teen... with a full 25l fuel and quite a heavy anchor/kit bag so the SIB is well pinned down and very stable.

I've been out in the same wind strength one up and it feels a far more flighty situation.

Having said all the above it's very relaxing to be out on those rare days with gentle 4-6mph winds.
Old 19 August 2016, 06:41   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Correction to above...

"Bear in mind this is with two fairly HEAVY adults plus a teen"
Old 19 August 2016, 08:18   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
category C boat up to 2 m waves then its down to as fenlander has said plus your skill & experience and the way you set your boat up.
IMO you need to try the ruff stuff but build up to it get confidence in your self & the boat keep distractions to a minimum until confident by that i mean dont take the kids out for instance until you can concentrate on them too.
the sea can change rapidly be prepared for it on a nice day there is no better place.
SIB'S are a very safe boat if driven correctly do a power boat course good place to start.

cheers
Old 19 August 2016, 09:07   #7

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Engine: Mercury 75
All the above advice is sound advice. There are so many variables, and like Fenlander said, also depends on coastline. The majority of my boating is done in and around Torbay, so if we had 15-20mph westerly, no problem. If same speed wind coming from the east, you would get soaked through just walking along the seafront....!

I can understand your analogy, as I used to, (and still have all the gear) do power kiting and buggying, and was always watching, waiting, and hoping for the ideal conditions.
Old 19 August 2016, 09:54   #8

Conditions can and do change very rapidly - something I have to think about every time I venture out over the bar. If they deteriorated sufficiently then I am stuck outside the bar with only exposed beaches to land on. Last weekend I took the boat to clovelly, smooth glassy conditions on the way there. Just over an hour later and the return journey was very bumpy with some surf over the bar. Saw some dolphins though which made it all worthwhile
Old 19 August 2016, 10:12   #9

Some good advice here. I think the key is to start in reasonably calm/ stable weather and build up your experience gradually. One important factor is the type of SIB... we have had a fairly big Zodiac Grand Raid out in some rough weather but the boat was kitted out properly, all items were secure and, most importantly, the crew were experienced and equipped properly... dry suits, PLBs etc. This would not have been wise in a small leisure SIB.

A large swell is easy to deal with, short steep and breaking seas are another issue. Try to launch somewhere sheltered, it makes things safer and easier and can also give you a bolt hole if the weather turns out to be worse than expected when you reach more open water.

Always have a plan for the worst case scenario... e.g. man over board, engine failure etc.
Old 19 August 2016, 11:00   #10

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
What this thread is high lighting is..its personal experience and comfort zone that dictates.. and everyone is different. The boat will take it if you can

My 275 F-Rib in heavy seas..it was gusting Force 6 ..and 2 meter waves at times .. going up the sound of Mull which is an exposed tidal stretch of water..but im used to small boats... I appreciate many folks wouldn’t be happy in those conditions in a wee boat. The boat is..assuming you know what you are doing.

Larger SIBs in Force 4-5 in strong tide race off Lismore point

There is a wee SIB in there somewhere .. Force 4 off Ardlamont Point .. gets kind of wet at times..so wear a raincoat

All these photos are from exposed locations

However as you are asking about fishing. there is no way I would put an anchor down in such conditions.. and I wouldn’t drift fish in them either. The F Ribs are exceptionally stable fishing platforms though..so good choice.

You do need to ensure your engine is reliable.. or you are in deep trouble
Old 21 August 2016, 18:47   #11

Had a properly nasty days boating on the Medway estuary today. 20mph wind over tide. Absolutely black and blue, soaked through and a little shaken up. But the aerotec did not let us down. Had it not been for the long car journey to go boating I wouldnt have gone out in it. Lesson learned!
Old 21 August 2016, 20:15   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Had a properly nasty days boating on the Medway estuary today. 20mph wind over tide. Absolutely black and blue, soaked through and a little shaken up. But the aerotec did not let us down. Had it not been for the long car journey to go boating I wouldnt have gone out in it. Lesson learned!

But I find that days like that, build confidence in your boat & your abilities. We've had some dodgy crossings & when it's over you look back & think, we tackled that.👍

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 22:09   #13

Yes, true we learned a thing or two today!
Old 21 August 2016, 22:24   #14

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
But I find that days like that, build confidence in your boat & your abilities. We've had some dodgy crossings & when it's over you look back & think, we tackled that.👍

Lions led by donkeys
So true
Old 22 August 2016, 16:30   #15

Town: Oakland CA
When I ran my 14' SIB, I found the boat was capable of handling more than I was. Soft squishy things on board gave up (either due to safety concerns or physical beatings) before the boat would.

jky
Old 22 August 2016, 16:39   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
When I ran my 14' SIB, I found the boat was capable of handling more than I was. Soft squishy things on board gave up (either due to safety concerns or physical beatings) before the boat would.

jky

I've found that with every boat I've owned, I quit before the boat does😳

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 22 August 2016, 19:42   #17

Just washing and de-salting all my clothes, boat bits, electronics from yesterday. Everything electronic that wasn't in a sealed bag is either toast or not far from it. One of many lessons
Learned!
Old 22 August 2016, 20:03   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Just washing and de-salting all my clothes, boat bits, electronics from yesterday. Everything electronic that wasn't in a sealed bag is either toast or not far from it. One of many lessons

Learned!

IMHO a lesson learned is money well spent👍

Lions led by donkeys
Old 23 August 2016, 13:23   #19

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
IMHO a lesson learned is money well spent👍

Lions led by donkeys
A useful acronym in aviation is ILAFFT (I laughed). Stands for I Learnt About Flying From That. Usually used after some hair-raising experience or other. Always good to swallow one's pride and share so that others may also learn from it - or at least have a bloody good laugh at your expense
Old 24 August 2016, 02:48   #20

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
When the going gets tough rise above it