Old 16 November 2011, 12:33   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: no boat
Water gushing up the sides of outboard

Hello everyone - please beware that I am a 'noob' and have only recently got a boat, so sorry if this is a day 1 question...

In a nutshell, I am convinced that the amount of water gushing up the side of my outboard can't be right - I have tried messing around with engine height but am not convinced that is the route of the problem.

A bit of background - the boat is an oversized zapcat style boat (bought from Howy via this forum, thank you forum and thank you Howy!) with a 30hp yamaha 3 cylinder engine. The boat can handle up to 50hp, but I foolishly thought that I wouldn't want anything too wild. Already want a 50hp for it as it is more fun than I thought possible. :-)

I have now been out 4 times, as follows:

Trip 1:
-2 on board
-a LOT of water gushing up the side of engine and swamping the back of the boat (it drains out, but there was a lot there)
-being a bit tentative on first trip so didn't realise that the problem went away if you opened it up and went for it.
-once fully on the plane, the boat is superb. Quick but rock steady. Lots of grip from the propellor and lots of fun until you slow down, when niagra falls makes an entrance over the back of the transom
-we tried every trim setting and the problem was there each time. Fastest setting was 3 holes up from vertical.

Trip 2:
-2 on board
-I was convinced that the engine needed lifting as the spray goes away once you are on the plane, so I lifted it using an offcut piece of decking plank. I can't remember the exact lift, but it was quite a bit (over 4cm)
-MUCH improved spray situation but the boat felt slower and the propellor was slipping / cavitating (not sure of exact term but the revs would shoot up and all bite was lost)
-GPS gadget was reporting max speed of 28kph until my passenger got out (to be sick! Hangover / wetsuit tight around his neck / sea sickness problem...) and I got it up to 44kph on my own, but felt a bit flighty

Trip 3:
-2 on board
-having decided that it was too high, but along the right track, I dropped the heigh a bit to just under 2cm.
-a bit more spray than before and still quite a bit of cavitation
-GPS reported 49kph and it was quite rough

Trip 4 (today):
-1 on board
-decided to leave the height to see if the difference in weight would make a difference
-still quite a bit of spray and cavitation. Topped out at 44kph despite being pretty flat
-I stopped and got rid of the stips of wood that I was using to lift it and immediately noticed a marked increase in grip and speed. It did cavitate a little bit on occasion but not nearly as much and it was faster (56kph). Just felt better allround but the spray was worse again.

I am now torn - the water gushing problem is reduced if you lift the engine but it definitely doesn't help performance.

The propellor is the standard 3 blade job that comes with the engine. Would a different propellor allow you to run the engine a bit higher?

I took the camera out today and there is a dodgy edit at which I hope helps to show the problem as it is hard to really explain. The video has two heights of engine, but you can hopefully see the issue.

Am I being mad and that is perfectly normal or is there something not quite right? Whilst you can get over it be flooring it and jumping up on the plane, it seems odd that you can't cruise without being drenched?

Any thougts or pearls of wisdom would be very welcome. I am loving the boat and it is a blast, but I just can't help think that there must be a solution to the water gushing up. I have got over my fear of it actually swamping the engine, but would rather it wasn't so bad.

Many thanks for any help,
Joe

Old 16 November 2011, 12:59   #2

Length: 7m +
It looks very odd, maybe a stupid question but there isn't some form of hardware still attached that should be used only when the boat and engine is being towed by a car? Something about the lower leg looks strange as in what is that big hunk of metal attached. Lower legs should be streamlined but yours looks the opposite and that appears to be where the water is shooting up from. Perhaps you could take a pic with the engine raised while out of the water so we can see lower leg.

Old 16 November 2011, 13:38   #3

Town: Salisbury/Poole
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Know nothing about Zapcat type setup's but could well be a shaft length issue. What shaft is the OB ???
Ribshop on here is yer man.
Keron where are you when needed??
Old 16 November 2011, 16:45   #4
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Too low!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern view during fitting.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	63919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom view during fitting.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	63920  
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2011, 16:53   #5

Town: clifden
Make: Fletcher Bravo Arrow
Engine: Yamaha 175
I have a zapcat and dat normal at slow speed - high jackers should b 10 psi and sponsons should b 4 psi . I have 50 hp yamaha have it up one hole up on transom hitting 50 mph
Old 16 November 2011, 17:14   #6

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
I read somewhere that the propeler if is made more sharp ( lets say like razor) the water is much less. They say the outboards are designed for single hull boats and not for cats.

Also if you see on that photo

there is an inox extension on just on the front of the motor . that helps for less water .
Old 16 November 2011, 17:28   #7

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
The outboard is too low. Raise it up until the cativation plate is even with the bottom of the hull. Then possibly lower the trim pin.
Old 16 November 2011, 18:05   #8

Guys it's a zapcat , wen cat going 50 mph it's skating across the top of the water , only thing in the water is gearbox , not like a rib dat cavitation plate needs to b level with hull
Old 16 November 2011, 18:11   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1658719747.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	63921

My 40v - now 50hp yamaha
Old 16 November 2011, 18:27   #10