Old 14 January 2014, 14:45   #1

Town: N/E UK
Length: no boat
Viewing Inflatables.

I'm not new to boating, but new to SIBs.

Not wanting to jump in and buy the first one available, I want to see them first hand up close. I live in the Northeast of the UK just outside Newcastle/Durham, and wanting to know if any member could recommend dealers up this way where I could have a look around before making my mind up.

Something around 3.5m-4m, and a 9.9 engine, just wanting it for holidays and fishing. Been looking at the Honwaves and Tohatsu engines, though the price of engines I'll have to save a few quid up first.

SS.

Old 14 January 2014, 15:59   #2

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner
Hi

I'm very new to all this so very limited advice, but I did research before buying & there are various options:-

First thing is what is your budget?

I spent 1400 for an "as new" Zodiac 340 Acti-V and a Mariner 15hp motor, bought separately & both have had very little use. The key to this is not to rush in, it took me 3 months to find mine and only found the motor last week.

Air Deck vs hard floor? The first is a little more expensive but much easier to transport and store, the trade off is hard floors will generally allow you to use a larger motor should you wish to later, air decks are also more comfortable and lighter.
From what I have read, the Zodiac is also lighter than the Honda and Yamaha equivalents.

There are loads of reviews of most available boats online but I found limited stocks to see in dealers, especially the larger sizes, you could also look around local boat yards & marinas to see what's being used as tenders? Most folk are happy to show you & offer some words of wisdom.

Old 14 January 2014, 18:09   #3

Town: N/E UK
Length: no boat
Thanks T4bus, I'm favoring the ally floor since I'm wanting it for fishing as well. I've also been looking for quite a while now, but like I say I want to see them in the flesh first.

Looking at one down south, a few extras with it, but don't want to commit myself, then find out I'd be disappointed.

Thanks,

SS.
Old 14 January 2014, 19:55   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
I lived in durham untill recently & there isnt much in the way of dealers in that area who will stock sibs there was a guy in boroughbridge selling the excell range & he did seem to have stock used to list on ebay I think

i've played with quite a few sibs & in my opinion the bombard 380 is the best at the size your looking at much stiffer with the air floors in a vee configration if you could live with air floor

zodiac futura has aluminium deck & is realy great but expensive & quite heavy

yams are good the hondas & the rest of the bunch are all fairly similar to each other & I guess just a matter of personal preferance

to see lots side by side the best place is the boat show either london or southampton

alternatively you often find them turning up at boat jumbles usually one at whitby & anoither at lancaster check out the boat jumble association web site

incidentaly we have used an excell 290 as a tender for 10 years & its been realy good & only being replaced this season with a aluminium hulled rib so we can sit it on the bathing platform. they were cheap when we bought ours as they were new in the country at the time but they maybe simillar to the rest of the pack now as they are more established now
Old 15 January 2014, 01:45   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
I loved my yam 3'83. She was a great boat. I like the quick silver range too. Others on here have the Honwave and get on great with them.

It'll be about finding some thing in your price range locally as much as what's the best. Good luck

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 02:43   #6

Town: Newmarket
Make: honwave T32
Engine: 9.9 hp Outboard
We bought our Honwave T32 and Mariner 9.9 last year and so far think its great
it all fits in the Boot and doesnt take long to set up
The main reason we went for the 9.9 was so can take it to the French lakes for holidays with a Caravan, if i was just using it here i would have gone for the 15HP
Old 15 January 2014, 06:21   #7

Town: Oop North
There's a good setup for sale on the whitby fishing forum;

Zodiac Cadet S 3.4m SIB For Sale

He's wanting 2000, but it's got everything you need.

And no, it's not mine.

And he's in Leeds.
Old 15 January 2014, 10:41   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
That looks a nice rig but be wary of 4 strokes weight wise as they are considerably heavier go & have a go at picking it up before you commit

A good clean 2 stroke is the way to go
Imho anyway
Old 15 January 2014, 11:12   #9

Town: Newmarket
Make: honwave T32
Engine: 9.9 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
That looks a nice rig but be wary of 4 strokes weight wise as they are considerably heavier go & have a go at picking it up before you commit

A good clean 2 stroke is the way to go
Imho anyway
ill agree with that 2 stroke all the way
Old 15 January 2014, 13:48   #10

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
There are plenty of past threads on the two/ four stroke debate and I would suggest looking thoroughly those, it's swings and roundabouts. 4 stroke fan myself after owning both.