Old 06 May 2014, 19:53   #1

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
VHF radio course

I'm new to all this, see my previous post, I'm aware that I need insurance and think that flairs/first aid kit/repair kit are all a good idea.

I have also thought about a radio, stayed pretty close to shore so far but would like to go further afield as my confidence grows.

Is it a legal requirement to do a course ?

Is there anything else I should have ?
Old 06 May 2014, 22:42   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I have also thought about a radio, stayed pretty close to shore so far but would like to go further afield as my confidence grows.

Is it a legal requirement to do a course ?
You need to do the course / pass the 'exam' to use* a VHF radio. You also need to register the radio with Ofcom.

Quote:
Is there anything else I should have ?
You'd be wise to do an RYA powerboat level 2 course which will teach you the practical skills as well as the theory / good practice / etc.

*You can use one under the supervision of a qualified person or in an emergency without being qualified yourself. Accordingly most people here would suggest that you should carry a VHF even before getting trained - but bear in mind that the first time you use for real is not the time to learn how!
Old 06 May 2014, 23:30   #3

Hmmmm!
I have done the VHF radio course and personally thought it was a load of tosh!!
At the end of the day all the coastguard needs to know is where you are, what is the nature of your emergency, boat size, persons on board etc - all common sense stuff.
All of this info is included in. basic VHF training manuals.
All the course served to do is fine tune your radio etiquette!
If you don't want to stand out like a sore thumb that you are untrained, carry a laminated aide memoir card to keep the info you need fresh in your mind.
I have forgotten all the stuff from my course long ago but carry a aide inside the lid of my fishing box with all the relevant info that I might need bullet pointed.
I reacquaint myself with it each time I go to sea.
At the end of the day the relevant info will be gleaned by those who need to know even if you don't get it accross clearly on your own.
Save yourself 100 quid - skip the course and buy a manual.
Trust me the coastguard does not care whether you have done a course or not - I know!
They will be satisfied that you took the necessary precautions by carrying the radio in the first instance!
There are lots of marinas making a tidy sum from these courses.
As for the powerboat courses these are another matter and more worthy of spending your hard-earned cash but inevitably you need your VHF course to go on most!!!???!!!
Old 06 May 2014, 23:54   #4

Meant to add - you don't need to go on a course to be qualified to ring 999.
We are dealing with professional people at the other end who are there to assist and deal in emergency situations.
Old 07 May 2014, 07:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Hmmmm!
I have done the VHF radio course and personally thought it was a load of tosh!!
At the end of the day all the coastguard needs to know is where you are, what is the nature of your emergency, boat size, persons on board etc - all common sense stuff.
All of this info is included in. basic VHF training manuals.
All the course served to do is fine tune your radio etiquette!
If you don't want to stand out like a sore thumb that you are untrained, carry a laminated aide memoir card to keep the info you need fresh in your mind.
I have forgotten all the stuff from my course long ago but carry a aide inside the lid of my fishing box with all the relevant info that I might need bullet pointed.
I reacquaint myself with it each time I go to sea.
At the end of the day the relevant info will be gleaned by those who need to know even if you don't get it accross clearly on your own.
Save yourself 100 quid - skip the course and buy a manual.
Trust me the coastguard does not care whether you have done a course or not - I know!
They will be satisfied that you took the necessary precautions by carrying the radio in the first instance!
There are lots of marinas making a tidy sum from these courses.
As for the powerboat courses these are another matter and more worthy of spending your hard-earned cash but inevitably you need your VHF course to go on most!!!???!!!
Thanks Kaman, so I can buy and register the radio without the course and shouldn't get into too much trouble if I use it in an emergency unqualified ?

I agree, how much training do you need to push a button and shout help !
Old 07 May 2014, 07:13   #6

and thanks Poly, I would assume the powerboat course is worth doing, though I'd like to play around a little first make sure I enjoy it before I start on courses. Hence not that keen to go on the radio course but like the idea of having one just encase I need it !
Old 07 May 2014, 07:37   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Quote:
Thanks Kaman, so I can buy and register the radio without the course and shouldn't get into too much trouble if I use it in an emergency unqualified ?

Old 07 May 2014, 07:39   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Well assuming you actually are in distress shouting "Help" isn't the best advice. Whilst Kaman is correct that the CG will do their best to extract the info they need even if your broadcast is not standard format - in a life threatening emergency a few minutes whilst they get to the right details might be too late. The CG may not be the people who respond (for reasons Kaman should have learned on his course but seems to have forgotten). If I am only a mile away when you make your call but it is incoherent or ineffective you may have to wait a long time for 'official help'.

Nobody on my course was stupid - but certainly not everyone was effective at "pushing a button and shouting help" the first time they did it in a classroom and having just seen what to do. Drifting towards the waves breaking on the cliffs whilst trying to pull your mate back on board is not the time to discover you don't know what the squelch setting does...

For most people it will cost about the same as weekend worth of fuel. The advice about needing VHF certs for the powerboat courses is misleading - only the higher level courses recommend/require it. The PB2 course which is what you would need does not.

I would suggest you get more than one opinion on the value of courses (and providers) before jumping to conclusions - even if those conclusions are the ones you want to hear! In addition to here you could ask the RNLI sea safety advisor, call up your local CG station (they don't enforce radio law).
Old 07 May 2014, 07:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
I guess you don't approve ! lol

I'm not saying that I wont do the course, just don't want to spend a lot of time and money on something I may not end up doing, nice to give things a bit of a go first.

I have also thought that it would be nice to try a cruise with a group to get a feel for it all. I really am as novice as they come. Luckily I'm a better swimmer than skipper, so if all else fails......
Old 07 May 2014, 07:48   #10

Fair point Poly, at the moment I'm being very careful where I go, conditions etc.

Only just bought the boat, nice to have used it a good few times before going far.
Old 07 May 2014, 07:53   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Fair point Poly, at the moment I'm being very careful where I go, conditions etc.

Only just bought the boat, nice to have used it a good few times before going far.
I'd do your PB2 course sooner rather than later then. The course will help you understand tides, weather etc as well as how to drive the boat. Plenty of people do the course before buying a boat and I don't think anyone has ever posted here saying, "I wish I had practiced on my own before doing the course".
Old 07 May 2014, 08:00   #12

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
If I remember correctly anyone (with or without passing the VHF test) can call for help in an emergency. Is everybody aware that transmissions on VHF are recorded?
Old 07 May 2014, 08:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
If I remember correctly anyone (with or without passing the VHF test) can call for help in an emergency. Is everybody aware that transmissions on VHF are recorded?
Good to know. I think I'll be happy to do the course, always enjoy learning new things and I'm sure it would be nice to meet some like minded people.

I am in a tiny little SIB though and at the moment staying within sight of the beach I've launched from, going on the courses does feel like a bit of overkill.

Though also appreciate that such a small boat allows me to get into trouble much quicker !

Guess I'd like to see if I'll stick with it a bit first. I'm aware that it's all too easy to have good intentions that I'll be out every other weekend but then not as it's hard work unpacking, putting it together, launching retrieving, flushing, cleaning, etc. Probably doesn't help that I don't trailer it, though bought a SIB so I can pack it away and forget about it if I get busy with work etc. I have to also confess to having worked from whats the biggest engine that I can buy, rather than whats the biggest I can carry. I can manage the 25hp but it is heavy and awkward !

Must confess I wish I'd joined here before purchasing, though I am very happy with the boat I bought.
Old 07 May 2014, 08:58   #14

Quote:
Good to know. I think I'll be happy to do the course, always enjoy learning new things and I'm sure it would be nice to meet some like minded people.

I am in a tiny little SIB though and at the moment staying within sight of the beach I've launched from, going on the courses does feel like a bit of overkill.

Though also appreciate that such a small boat allows me to get into trouble much quicker !

Guess I'd like to see if I'll stick with it a bit first. I'm aware that it's all too easy to have good intentions that I'll be out every other weekend but then not as it's hard work unpacking, putting it together, launching retrieving, flushing, cleaning, etc. Probably doesn't help that I don't trailer it, though bought a SIB so I can pack it away and forget about it if I get busy with work etc. I have to also confess to having worked from whats the biggest engine that I can buy, rather than whats the biggest I can carry. I can manage the 25hp but it is heavy and awkward !

Must confess I wish I'd joined here before purchasing, though I am very happy with the boat I bought.
You might have small SIB now but you usually go up in size for added comfort, once you have done the course you have it for good so I would say it is a good investment along with PB level 2. The guy that did our course gave the group a lot of other boating related info and was good.
Reading your post reminds me when we moved up from a 9' Campari mermaid with a Volvo Penta 4hp (I think) to a 11' C-Craft with a Evinrude 25hp - that was a shock to the system lifting that! All good fun.
Enjoy
Old 07 May 2014, 09:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
You might have small SIB now but you usually go up in size for added comfort, once you have done the course you have it for good so I would say it is a good investment along with PB level 2. The guy that did our course gave the group a lot of other boating related info and was good.
Reading your post reminds me when we moved up from a 9' Campari mermaid with a Volvo Penta 4hp (I think) to a 11' C-Craft with a Evinrude 25hp - that was a shock to the system lifting that! All good fun.
Enjoy
thought the same about moving up myself and that if this is a hobby I get into then the courses will be required but trying to take things slowly !
Old 07 May 2014, 09:29   #16

Quote:
thought the same about moving up myself and that if this is a hobby I get into then the courses will be required but trying to take things slowly !
I don't blame you test the water first so to speak.
Old 07 May 2014, 13:14   #17

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
I seem to recall the cost and duration of the VHF course has increased recently.

When I did it there was another chap in the group who had bought a boat with a VHF. His first radio transmission was in an emergency and consisted of pressing the button and saying "'Ello? Is there anybody there??". Getting trained was 'suggested' by the Coastguard.
Old 07 May 2014, 13:32   #18

At no time did I advocate going to sea with a VHF radio without having any idea how yo use it.
I stand by my original post as I do think the VHF course is a load of TOSH!
You can pickup a VHF manual and learn yourself the essential stuff and read yout radio handset instructions thoroughly as well.
You will always have your manual to refer back to.
How much of a 1 hundred pound one day course will you remember after 2 or three years???!
Not a lot!
Teach yourself the oh so basic essentials and print up a bullet point laminated aide memoire card - have it close to hand onboard and read it over regularly so that the BASIC info that you need to pass on in an emergency can be passed like ABC-

Accurately
Briefly
Clearly.

That is all that is required.

Rant over.

Out.
Old 07 May 2014, 15:38   #19

Town: Oop North
Anyone putting to sea in a small boat should carry at least a registered hand held VHF radio, preferably with DSC and MMSI number.
There's plenty of information on the internet on how to use a VHF radio, and the RYA VHF radio booklet only costs a few pounds. Using the radio is mostly common sense, but learning the correct distress procedures is a must.

http://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/i...ure%20card.pdf

I'd suggest doing the course just to be legally allowed to operate the radio, but at the end of the day it's up to the individual to decide.

Also I'd urge you all to join the;
CG66 - SAFETY IDENTIFICATION SCHEME

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/cg66/

It costs nothing and helps would be rescuers looking for you.
Old 07 May 2014, 16:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Anyone putting to sea in a small boat should carry at least a registered hand held VHF radio, preferably with DSC and MMSI number.
There's plenty of information on the internet on how to use a VHF radio, and the RYA VHF radio booklet only costs a few pounds. Using the radio is mostly common sense, but learning the correct distress procedures is a must.

http://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/i...ure%20card.pdf

I'd suggest doing the course just to be legally allowed to operate the radio, but at the end of the day it's up to the individual to decide.

Also I'd urge you all to join the;
CG66 - SAFETY IDENTIFICATION SCHEME

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/cg66/

It costs nothing and helps would be rescuers looking for you.
Top quality post and helpful link to boot.

Call me bitter but with hindsight I don't think the VHF course was worth the money.

Maybe it's because im used to speaking on a digital handset at work to large numbers of work colleagues and have no fear of broadcasting live on my VHF.

I just didn't feel that I had learnt anything more having sat the course, than I had already learnt through my own home studies.

I would have rather kept the 100 plus pounds for the course and put it towards a better VHF radio, but hey ho!

That's just my thoughts.
Maybe others on here found it really beneficial?

There were 3 commercial fishermen and another pleasure boater on my course.
We all went for a pint and a bar meal at lunch time and all concurred that the course was not worth doing.

Maybe it was just a bad instructor?????!