RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
Fair point Poly, at the moment I'm being very careful where I go, conditions etc.

Only just bought the boat, nice to have used it a good few times before going far.
I'd do your PB2 course sooner rather than later then. The course will help you understand tides, weather etc as well as how to drive the boat. Plenty of people do the course before buying a boat and I don't think anyone has ever posted here saying, "I wish I had practiced on my own before doing the course".
Old 07 May 2014, 04:00   #12

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
If I remember correctly anyone (with or without passing the VHF test) can call for help in an emergency. Is everybody aware that transmissions on VHF are recorded?

Old 07 May 2014, 04:24   #13

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
If I remember correctly anyone (with or without passing the VHF test) can call for help in an emergency. Is everybody aware that transmissions on VHF are recorded?
Good to know. I think I'll be happy to do the course, always enjoy learning new things and I'm sure it would be nice to meet some like minded people.

I am in a tiny little SIB though and at the moment staying within sight of the beach I've launched from, going on the courses does feel like a bit of overkill.

Though also appreciate that such a small boat allows me to get into trouble much quicker !

Guess I'd like to see if I'll stick with it a bit first. I'm aware that it's all too easy to have good intentions that I'll be out every other weekend but then not as it's hard work unpacking, putting it together, launching retrieving, flushing, cleaning, etc. Probably doesn't help that I don't trailer it, though bought a SIB so I can pack it away and forget about it if I get busy with work etc. I have to also confess to having worked from whats the biggest engine that I can buy, rather than whats the biggest I can carry. I can manage the 25hp but it is heavy and awkward !

Must confess I wish I'd joined here before purchasing, though I am very happy with the boat I bought.
Old 07 May 2014, 04:58   #14

Quote:
Good to know. I think I'll be happy to do the course, always enjoy learning new things and I'm sure it would be nice to meet some like minded people.

I am in a tiny little SIB though and at the moment staying within sight of the beach I've launched from, going on the courses does feel like a bit of overkill.

Though also appreciate that such a small boat allows me to get into trouble much quicker !

Guess I'd like to see if I'll stick with it a bit first. I'm aware that it's all too easy to have good intentions that I'll be out every other weekend but then not as it's hard work unpacking, putting it together, launching retrieving, flushing, cleaning, etc. Probably doesn't help that I don't trailer it, though bought a SIB so I can pack it away and forget about it if I get busy with work etc. I have to also confess to having worked from whats the biggest engine that I can buy, rather than whats the biggest I can carry. I can manage the 25hp but it is heavy and awkward !

Must confess I wish I'd joined here before purchasing, though I am very happy with the boat I bought.
You might have small SIB now but you usually go up in size for added comfort, once you have done the course you have it for good so I would say it is a good investment along with PB level 2. The guy that did our course gave the group a lot of other boating related info and was good.
Reading your post reminds me when we moved up from a 9' Campari mermaid with a Volvo Penta 4hp (I think) to a 11' C-Craft with a Evinrude 25hp - that was a shock to the system lifting that! All good fun.
Enjoy
Old 07 May 2014, 05:22   #15

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
You might have small SIB now but you usually go up in size for added comfort, once you have done the course you have it for good so I would say it is a good investment along with PB level 2. The guy that did our course gave the group a lot of other boating related info and was good.
Reading your post reminds me when we moved up from a 9' Campari mermaid with a Volvo Penta 4hp (I think) to a 11' C-Craft with a Evinrude 25hp - that was a shock to the system lifting that! All good fun.
Enjoy
thought the same about moving up myself and that if this is a hobby I get into then the courses will be required but trying to take things slowly !
Old 07 May 2014, 05:29   #16

Quote:
thought the same about moving up myself and that if this is a hobby I get into then the courses will be required but trying to take things slowly !
I don't blame you test the water first so to speak.
Old 07 May 2014, 09:14   #17

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
I seem to recall the cost and duration of the VHF course has increased recently.

When I did it there was another chap in the group who had bought a boat with a VHF. His first radio transmission was in an emergency and consisted of pressing the button and saying "'Ello? Is there anybody there??". Getting trained was 'suggested' by the Coastguard.
Old 07 May 2014, 09:32   #18

At no time did I advocate going to sea with a VHF radio without having any idea how yo use it.
I stand by my original post as I do think the VHF course is a load of TOSH!
You can pickup a VHF manual and learn yourself the essential stuff and read yout radio handset instructions thoroughly as well.
You will always have your manual to refer back to.
How much of a 1 hundred pound one day course will you remember after 2 or three years???!
Not a lot!
Teach yourself the oh so basic essentials and print up a bullet point laminated aide memoire card - have it close to hand onboard and read it over regularly so that the BASIC info that you need to pass on in an emergency can be passed like ABC-

Accurately
Briefly
Clearly.

That is all that is required.

Rant over.

Out.
Old 07 May 2014, 11:38   #19

Town: Oop North
Anyone putting to sea in a small boat should carry at least a registered hand held VHF radio, preferably with DSC and MMSI number.
There's plenty of information on the internet on how to use a VHF radio, and the RYA VHF radio booklet only costs a few pounds. Using the radio is mostly common sense, but learning the correct distress procedures is a must.

http://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/i...ure%20card.pdf

I'd suggest doing the course just to be legally allowed to operate the radio, but at the end of the day it's up to the individual to decide.

Also I'd urge you all to join the;
CG66 - SAFETY IDENTIFICATION SCHEME

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/cg66/

It costs nothing and helps would be rescuers looking for you.
Old 07 May 2014, 12:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Anyone putting to sea in a small boat should carry at least a registered hand held VHF radio, preferably with DSC and MMSI number.
There's plenty of information on the internet on how to use a VHF radio, and the RYA VHF radio booklet only costs a few pounds. Using the radio is mostly common sense, but learning the correct distress procedures is a must.

http://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/i...ure%20card.pdf

I'd suggest doing the course just to be legally allowed to operate the radio, but at the end of the day it's up to the individual to decide.

Also I'd urge you all to join the;
CG66 - SAFETY IDENTIFICATION SCHEME

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/cg66/

It costs nothing and helps would be rescuers looking for you.
Top quality post and helpful link to boot.

Call me bitter but with hindsight I don't think the VHF course was worth the money.

Maybe it's because im used to speaking on a digital handset at work to large numbers of work colleagues and have no fear of broadcasting live on my VHF.

I just didn't feel that I had learnt anything more having sat the course, than I had already learnt through my own home studies.

I would have rather kept the 100 plus pounds for the course and put it towards a better VHF radio, but hey ho!

That's just my thoughts.
Maybe others on here found it really beneficial?

There were 3 commercial fishermen and another pleasure boater on my course.
We all went for a pint and a bar meal at lunch time and all concurred that the course was not worth doing.

Maybe it was just a bad instructor?????!