Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 June 2019, 01:45   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
If just for a final top up in emergency and you watch the pressure carefully the BP adaptor looks usable.

But I wonder why a manual footpump wouldn't be the fallback device?
There are many methods but sib footpumps are quite big and the pipe unwieldly and not easy to use in a sib with air floor


I have most pumps and have tried many ideas in many pump up locations with varying power sources this is a new one to try.


I have:
1) Bravo electric (Worst of all in my view)
2) Bravo Foot
3) Honwave foot
4) Itiwit electric hp 2 No (The best of all)
5) Itiwit manual high pressure (Very good)
6) SUP High Pressure
7) about 5 - 6 unbranded other pumps
8) Two General Purpose Air Compressors

With this adapter I now could use any of these pumps.


Why so many..... because I like buying stuff and testing it etc. AlsoI am lucky and have quite a lot of space
__________________

__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:48   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 939
I also have over 6 Joggle syphons...….. If you aint got one of them you should buy one and try it or you could debate its cost £7.99 for hours and also not reap the benefit which is considerable
__________________

__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 02:48   #33
Member
 
Fender's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post

I have:
1) Bravo electric (Worst of all in my view)
2) Bravo Foot
3) Honwave foot
4) Itiwit electric hp 2 No (The best of all)
5) Itiwit manual high pressure (Very good)
6) SUP High Pressure
7) about 5 - 6 unbranded other pumps
8) Two General Purpose Air Compressors

With this adapter I now could use any of these pumps.


Why so many..... because I like buying stuff and testing it etc. AlsoI am lucky and have quite a lot of space
With all the above kit on your SIB is there room for you?
__________________
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 05:19   #34
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,827
Never realised what Iím missing out on by not having inflatable tubes...
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 06:01   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Never realised what Iím missing out on by not having inflatable tubes...
well ive got tubes with an annual blow up so i must be too. i see air floors being a pain but then i would be fitting reflective camping mats on the hull to help having said that it takes seconds to top up with the electric pump[proper one] kept in a dry bag / box simple.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 14:18   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pembrokeshire
Make: Avon EA16
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 10
I've ordered one for my Honwave, and I know I'll find it useful.

In fact, the ONLY adaptor I have to pump up my old D-class uses a schrader valve too. I don't know where to get hold of any other type.

I suppose it all comes down to the size of your compressor. Fortunately, mine's massive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	129746
__________________
RNHobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 15:59   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Unbelievable

So for those that don't read posts or cant work things out or who are just plain stupid. Here is what I/You could do:

1) Buy this valve and take it with you
2) If you don't already have one Buy a cheap battery powered car tyre inflator (which are all capable of at least 40 psi, well over an air floor pressure) and take that with you
3) Assuming you have a battery in your sib for the GPS etc
4) Assuming you Sib is a high pressure air floor
5) After your sib has been on the water for a while and Pressure has reduced in the High Pressure floor because of the colder water use the above to top it up.

Given the small amount of air that will be needed to top up to the initial pressure (assuming you got it right in the first place) this will only take a few minutes and nothing will burn out
Quote:
Would be a slow process to pump up whole sib but if your pump failed any person with a car might have a pump or you could buy a cheap one locally
You said it could pump up a whole SIB. *This* is the reason the conversation has taken a dive. Read your own post.

Someone did the calculations for you and said it would take 40minutes. They agreed that it would be slow. The were pointing out that a car pump is not designed to run for 40minutes and risked burning out.

How long does it take to cool the air floor? Surely it's quick. So why not launch. Pump extra )bring back ashore if need be) then put the posh pump safely away before motoring off? Why would it take more than 5 minutes to cool the air?

How much air is needed? I don't know. I could probably do the maths. But how long does it need to run to raise the pressure in the floor?

Is there a reason not to just stick a bit extra in before you launch? If you know it always needs an extra 0.3psi would going to 3.8 Vs 3.5 be a risk? (Genuine question... I dunno)

My proper compressor I think would stand a chance. My little car rattly noisy as f 12v gets hot raising my car tyre by 3-4psi, takes ages to do it, And is only inflating a few litres.

Please post back once you've got it, tested it and tell us how well it worked as both a top up and an emergency solution like you suggest...
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 17:30   #38
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: St. Petersburg FL
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: out
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
I use a shop vac reversed with the hose reduced down to a 3/4 inch pvc fitting then increased the diam with electrical tape to make it snug. High voluum low pressure
__________________
luckydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 00:38   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You said it could pump up a whole SIB. *This* is the reason the conversation has taken a dive. Read your own post.

Someone did the calculations for you and said it would take 40minutes. They agreed that it would be slow. The were pointing out that a car pump is not designed to run for 40minutes and risked burning out.

How long does it take to cool the air floor? Surely it's quick. So why not launch. Pump extra )bring back ashore if need be) then put the posh pump safely away before motoring off? Why would it take more than 5 minutes to cool the air?

How much air is needed? I don't know. I could probably do the maths. But how long does it need to run to raise the pressure in the floor?

Is there a reason not to just stick a bit extra in before you launch? If you know it always needs an extra 0.3psi would going to 3.8 Vs 3.5 be a risk? (Genuine question... I dunno)

My proper compressor I think would stand a chance. My little car rattly noisy as f 12v gets hot raising my car tyre by 3-4psi, takes ages to do it, And is only inflating a few litres.

Please post back once you've got it, tested it and tell us how well it worked as both a top up and an emergency solution like you suggest...
Or perhaps you could buy one (Have you got £3.68) and test it yourself.

The honwave air floor needs to be nearer to 12 psi by the way 0.8 bar
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 00:56   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 540
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I also have over 6 Joggle syphons...Ö..
Pronounced jiggle

Just in case you can't work it out or are plain stupid!



Good invention - takes bloody ages to inflate the SIB with it though.
__________________

__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.