Old 13 April 2009, 16:08   #1

Length: 3m +
used outboard values

Having recently bought a new Zodiac Zoom 350 sport for mainly fishing I have been using a 4hp johnson 2007 which I purchased from new. I was using it on a 16ft clinker built boat that could only do displacement speed so I had no need for more power.

Most of the time I fish by trolling at 2-4 mph the little johnson actually managed about 10-12 mph at WOT. This little engine is all the experience I have of outboards and as I bought it from new have had no problems with its performance.

The Zoom 350s is rated at 20hp max I will be transporting any engine in the back of the car so I think a 9.9 or 15 horse would be the biggest I could manage, the sib is carried on roofbars and is setup before launch.

Am I right in thinking that most 10 hps weigh the same as their 15hp counterparts, how can I find out how much second hand engines are worth (UK). How much would a budget of £650 - £700 buy, Im looking for 2 strokes to keep the weight down.

I have little experience of buying used so any help in not being ripped off would be good.

Brian.
Old 13 April 2009, 18:32   #2

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
I bought a couple of engines (a 15hp ancient Yamaha) before settling on a 9.8hp Tohatsu 2 stroke. If you can possibly find one I would go for this as they are REALLY light (I think the best power to wieght ratio ever???) and can push my 3.8m Zodiac along at 17 knots with two people in it, but not a lot of gear.
The lighter engine you get, the more you will use it (if using transom wheels) as you will be more inclined to get out there.
I also have a 25hp that I am thinking of keeping for days when I want to push a little further off, but when compared to the wieght of the 9.8 it ways a TON. I can just carry it about.
Old 13 April 2009, 19:19   #3

Hi Geoff,

I've read quite a lot of posts on here about the Tohatsu 9.8 and it's great power to weight ratio but are they not as rare as hens teeth and a little more than my budget. I'm having a right job finding anything even a 9.9 or 15 hp used engine at the moment.

I got my sib for mainly fishing however my 11 soon to be 12 year old daughter has taken an interest and wants to do some "doughnutting" in the warmer weather and we live just 10 miles from loch Lomond.

I have never been involved in "water sports" but what size engine could tow her she is small and light for her age.
Old 13 April 2009, 20:57   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Sold a 2003 Merc 10 hp two months ago that would have been in your budget. Spring has arrived this week and the world has gone mad so few bargins for the next few months. Also consider the credit crunch, fewer peeps buying new engines might mean they keep hold of older engines longer so restricting the secondhand market. Keep an eye on the local free-ads for a local bargin rather than e bay.

Pete
Old 13 April 2009, 21:38   #5

I've never used ebay this motor is local but looks quite old, would it be any good or is it junk.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercury-9-8-Tw...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 13 April 2009, 21:41   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Hard to say without detailed inspection, but Mercury didn't change the basic configuration to the 9.9 for a good many years so if it's OK then no reason it won't serve you well.

Best check what shaft length he thinks 'standard' shaft means though-and exactly where he thinks he should measure it from.There seem to be a growing number of Ebay idiots who think you measure shaft length from the centre of the prop.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2009, 15:00   #7

I've seen this 15hp mariner on ebay what sort of price is this worth, I have no idea what value to place on used outboards, my gut instinct is about 3 fiddy.

What say yeah arrrrhhhh.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220391828613
Old 14 April 2009, 15:23   #8

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I just sold a 1991 15hp Mariner Marathon for £500 today. It was in good condition came with the manual and service guide plus original tool kit.

The RNLI sell off their old engines, 15hp longshafts usually £500 shortshafts £400 plus £100 delivery to your nearest station, at least that was what it was for me.

If you search google you should get a number off there.
Old 14 April 2009, 16:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
The RNLI sell off their old engines, 15hp longshafts usually £500 shortshafts £400 plus £100 delivery to your nearest station, at least that was what it was for me.

If you search google you should get a number off there.
chewy I did some "research" on google and what I mostly gathered was that it was "a closed shop" they are sold to members families etc.
Old 14 April 2009, 19:18   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinfishin View Post
chewy I did some "research" on google and what I mostly gathered was that it was "a closed shop" they are sold to members families etc.
Might be worth ringing them and asking the question-a lot of dealers get hold of the 40hp ex RNLI lumps.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2009, 19:20   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Its a little 15hp he's after. If needs be I can get one for him.
Old 14 April 2009, 19:55   #12

cheers chewy I've PM'd you for details.