Old 06 August 2012, 13:14   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Urgent Help Needed Please

Hi all been a while since i have been on,me and the mrs is off and we do not drive i have thoughts of taking my small sib on the trolley very light and small out board in a bag less weight then a moutain bike,idea is to train it to maidstone inflate the boat and have a little day out would be nice to take a tent and camp somwhere with a nearby toilet,or a campsite near the river anygood ideas? or somewherre else by train from Gravesend wanna keep it cheap as,lol, hope someone can help please and would i need a special licence as well?.
Old 06 August 2012, 14:22   #2

Just found this ENVIROMENT AGENTCY
New boat safety standards (from 1 April 2012)

We are introducing new boat safety standards for all powered boats kept, let for hire or used on the River Medway. From 1 April 2012, you must make sure your boat complies with these standards to register it on the River Medway:
Just answered my own question and WHY was my own reply taken off? i want someone to check this is right so please leave it on,or an explanation on to WHY it was removed?.
Old 06 August 2012, 14:45   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Not sure what happened, but nothing has been removed. Do you want to try again?
Old 06 August 2012, 15:35   #4

No worries John I,it has stayed on this time , but did disapear,lol,just hoping i can get some real info on my findings soon as if we can do it ,want to try possibly to mo?.
Old 06 August 2012, 19:55   #5

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Hi mate.
I've been out on the medway a few times before. I normally launch from Allington lock in Maidstone area.

There's a slipway there and loads of space to setup.

Google it and there's loads of info online.

Hope this helps.
Old 06 August 2012, 20:25   #6

Cheers mate,won 't beable to do it ,googled it and on another thread was told i need insurance for my small boat a day reg would of been ok but not gonna happen ,perhaps i can get out and do some sea fishing after im in the mrs good book,lol.
Old 06 August 2012, 20:41   #7

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound
Cheers mate,won 't beable to do it ,googled it and on another thread was told i need insurance for my small boat a day reg would of been ok but not gonna happen
You do need a day ticket which you can get from the lock keeper.

A "friend of mine" when he didn't have insurance just have the lock keeper the name of a insurance company and that was enough info.
They don't need a policy no just a insurance company name.

Obviously I'm not recommending you do this.

Quote:
perhaps i can get out and do some sea fishing after im in the mrs good book,lol.
Sounds like a better option, was out in Minnis bay last weekend, took the old man fishing and caught 12 mackerel in about a hour.
Old 06 August 2012, 21:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieboi View Post
You do need a day ticket which you can get from the lock keeper.

A "friend of mine" when he didn't have insurance just have the lock keeper the name of a insurance company and that was enough info.
They don't need a policy no just a insurance company name.

Obviously I'm not recommending you do this.

Sounds like a better option, was out in Minnis bay last weekend, took the old man fishing and caught 12 mackerel in about a hour.
Nice one never had mackeral down there before and just not been able to get out windy wk ends and when it has been good i have either been at work or no one to go with.get some hardback crab and go for the Hounds big buggers about now.all over the place,ive had em over 10lb before now,frozen peeler work as well hard to get now tho.
Old 06 August 2012, 22:32   #9

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Just found this ENVIROMENT AGENTCY
New boat safety standards (from 1 April 2012)

We are introducing new boat safety standards for all powered boats kept, let for hire or used on the River Medway. From 1 April 2012, you must make sure your boat complies with these standards to register it on the River Medway:
I saw that as well - on digging into it, it's boat safety scheme, and I think you'll find ribs are exempt (ie don't need a formal inspection, etc) - think from memory only boats with built in cookers, lighting (interior not nav lights),etc, need that. You have to sign a form saying your boat meets the standards, and presumably if it patently doesn't and as a result causes a serious accident you'll be in some degree of grief but I doubt anyone's going to get too excited about detail transgressions
Old 07 August 2012, 07:22   #10

Read this ,found this any boat on the river has to be registered even if if it's moored up from your back garden.
Privately-owned, open vessels that have no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed, are not fitted with other permanent electrical systems (e.g. navigation lights, engine start / tilt etc) and which are propelled solely by an outboard engine without a fixed fuel system.that's me stuffed you have to be registered and have a name plate on the boat, I HAVE A FIXED FUEL TANK. could of done it but my bigger boat has the insurance and not the smaller sib.
Old 07 August 2012, 08:00   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
I HAVE A FIXED FUEL TANK.
Where do you have a tank fixed to in a SIB?
Old 07 August 2012, 13:38   #12

Privately-owned, open vessels that have no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed, are not fitted with other permanent electrical systems (e.g. navigation lights,

engine propelled solely by an outboard engine without a fixed fuel system.

I think they mean the outboard has to have a SEPERATE fuel tank with connection,not one built in?.
Old 08 August 2012, 22:50   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
On some certain rivers canals the environment agency have taken over from what used to be British Waterways that is now called Canal & rivers Trust
The boat safety certificate as was said earlier is for engine / cooking/ heating / sewerage /electical installations pipework and systems usually on cabin / livaboards .
As far as I know if it is an open topped boat with a potable outboard/ fuel tank and has not been modified and is the original manufacturers standard fittings ( eg crimped ends )there's not a problem ,,, bit of a grey area though if the fuel pipes been joined together with jubilee clips or using a homemade tank , the Fixed permanent tank is one that's a permanat fixture or built into the boat eg inboard engine .
I had this out with a waterways inspector a few weeks ago , he dident bother me I just asked him about the subject .one good thing is that if you want a day permit/ licence you can do it online , better than the old system of buying a paper one and it's crap weather at least if the weathers good you can get one online on the day .
Old 13 August 2012, 17:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
On some certain rivers canals the environment agency have taken over from what used to be British Waterways that is now called Canal & rivers Trust
The boat safety certificate as was said earlier is for engine / cooking/ heating / sewerage /electical installations pipework and systems usually on cabin / livaboards .
As far as I know if it is an open topped boat with a potable outboard/ fuel tank and has not been modified and is the original manufacturers standard fittings ( eg crimped ends )there's not a problem ,,, bit of a grey area though if the fuel pipes been joined together with jubilee clips or using a homemade tank , the Fixed permanent tank is one that's a permanat fixture or built into the boat eg inboard engine .
I had this out with a waterways inspector a few weeks ago , he dident bother me I just asked him about the subject .one good thing is that if you want a day permit/ licence you can do it online , better than the old system of buying a paper one and it's crap weather at least if the weathers good you can get one online on the day .
Cheers for the info mate,good stuff.