Old 24 May 2011, 02:28   #11

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Good call Timo... that Honwave looks really good and they are light if the airdeck version. Good alternative to the Zodiac Cadet Fastroller at 400 or so cheaper and perhaps a better colour scheme. Only thing is a search on here reveals several folks who complain the airdeck Honwaves bending up when on the plane... I wonder if this is really a problem and if the Zodiac is better in this respect?

Old 24 May 2011, 04:27   #12

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Fenlander, I believe Fastroller has an inflatable floor and inflatable keel, but not an inflatable hull. You are substituting an alu/wooden floor with an inflatable floor.

Inflatable hulls are deeper than plain floors and somehow more similar to ribs.

Old 24 May 2011, 05:28   #13

You mean an inflatable hull shape as in a Bombard? If so I really don't want that style.

Just noticed another Zodiac that might suit... the budget Zoom range has a 3.5m & 4.0m... not sure if they have an air floor version though.
Old 26 May 2011, 02:39   #14

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
you could put the floor on a roof rack
Old 26 May 2011, 04:29   #15

Town: Hampshire
Fastrollers have a high pressure floor and integrated keel tube. To be honest once on plain the V part is out of the water anyway. I think this is true of most air floors other than the bombard. But the bombard creates more drag and needs a bigger lump on the back, and its heavier.

I can lift up a FR3.4 and turn it over to empty water out single handed. With decent wheels you can easily drag it up a steep slip. As soon as you go heavier you compromise this portability. This is why I haven't bought a larger engine or boat.
Old 26 May 2011, 06:36   #16

Fred for longer trips and hols where we have other luggage as well we will have to put something on the roof, possibly in a topbox. That's no problem.

Like you Flyguy weight is crucial. Once the assembled boat gets over the 117lbs of our current one then it's too heavy for how we want to use it. I already have genuine Zodiac transom wheels and prefer not to use them, anyway in many places we operate the foreshore is too rough for them. The weight issue knocks out the Bombards, Futuras, hard floored Honwaves, Quicksilver HD 3.65 etc.

This leaves me with Zodiac 3.6 Fastroller air floor (97lbs), Zodiac 3.4 Cadet wood floor (115lbs) and the Honwave 3.8IE air floor (106lbs).

The two air floor boats have a useful extra 6" interior width and length over the 3.4 Cadet but even the Cadet has almost 80% more useable floor space than my current Zodiac (it has a fixed sprayhood that means a lot of sitting space is unuseable in such a small boat).

If I can drop on a deal for a new one around 1350 I fancy the 3.6 Fastroller but my only decision is do I really want an air floor? I'd assumed they would be the same as wood or alloy in use but using search I've found so many people on this forum comment on odd behaviour when planing including outboard cavitation. Any thoughts on this issue?

The Cadet 3.4 and Honwave 3.8 air floor seem to be within 50 either side of 1000 leaving a bit of cash spare for bow/seat bags etc compared with the Fastroller.
Old 26 May 2011, 08:40   #17

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
The Bombard Aerodeck 3.8m only weighs in at 43 kg - 95 lbs will pack down small too
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 09:38   #18

Nick in different family needs/ circumstances I'd have an Aerotec 3.8 with a bigger outboard just for the fun factor.... they're really about the performance aren't they.

But I don't want that deep V when pulling/walking through shallows, I don't want the V shape floor inside it gives either. I really don't want something where its optimum outboard size will be so heavy it negates my portability requirement.

And comparing like for like a new Aerotec is double the cost of the Honwave air deck.

No... great boat but not for me at this time.
Old 26 May 2011, 09:45   #19

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Nick in different family needs/ circumstances I'd have an Aerotec 3.8 with a bigger outboard just for the fun factor.... they're really about the performance aren't they.

But I don't want that deep V when pulling/walking through shallows, I don't want the V shape floor inside it gives either. I really don't want something where its optimum outboard size will be so heavy it negates my portability requirement.

And comparing like for like a new Aerotec is double the cost of the Honwave air deck.

Im getting the vibe that you need ally floor mate.
Old 26 May 2011, 10:46   #20

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

OK but they do fly with a 15hp on then my yam 15 is only 36kg, that is why I bought it as it is a very light package! One + is with the floor you do sit inside the boat not on it as with most & it dose have a drier ride than others!
But is not for everyone at the end of the day
Nick

Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote

« new sib | Top | SIB Choice »