Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 August 2007, 10:35   #11
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
I'm quite familiar with the Zodiacs (I own 2 zodiac V keel SIBs) and am also very familiar with the Futura design. The Futuras are stable while at rest (as are the Gemini catamaran SIBS), but would actually be more stable without the V-keel than with it. When I had the Dive 470 out on the water the other day, all 5 of us sat on starboard sponson trying to rock the boat side to side and could barely get the boat to move at all.
__________________

__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 07:40   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fred View Post
they really Do not compare, the performance of the SLT is about 2x that of any other sib, the Futura can't hold a stick to any of them, the cat would just leave it standin thare.
have i missed something , what';s the SLT ?

Made a few enquiries about a surfcat , would be a fun stopgap boat I think for me .
Bigest problem it seems is that 50hp motors with tiller steer are getting rare and not being imported any more . The Tohatsu seems to be regarded as the best for simplicity as a pull start with no electrics and the lightest. Although i fancy a Yam .

hard to get any info at all on the gemini range .
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 09:22   #13
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Ian,

SLT stands for Superlight Tunnel Hull, which is the designation that the American Powerboat Association assigns to the zapcat/thundercat style boats.

I can certainly understand your frustration with trying to get info on the Gemini range. Last summer I travelled 2000 km to the west coast to look at them in person and test drive one. They do make a great boat, but you'd almost think that they are purposefully trying not to expand their business.

If I can answer any questions about the Dive 470 feel free to either PM me or ask in the thread I posted about it. Also, Ed the Duck has a hypalon Surf GRX 420 which he really likes.
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 17:29   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Ian,

SLT stands for Superlight Tunnel Hull, which is the designation that the American Powerboat Association assigns to the zapcat/thundercat style boats.

I can certainly understand your frustration with trying to get info on the Gemini range. Last summer I travelled 2000 km to the west coast to look at them in person and test drive one. They do make a great boat, but you'd almost think that they are purposefully trying not to expand their business.

If I can answer any questions about the Dive 470 feel free to either PM me or ask in the thread I posted about it. Also, Ed the Duck has a hypalon Surf GRX 420 which he really likes.

I remember chatting to Ed The Duck , where has he gone , not seen any posts for a while from him .

80hp sib sounds pretty extreme on a sib . could be fun with a tiller

Be good to see some pics of it etc
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 17:46   #15
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post

Be good to see some pics of it etc
I've got some in this thread & I'll try to get some more detailed pictures on the weekend.

Extreme SIB - Gemini Dive 470
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 18:07   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Canterbury
Boat name: Inflamous
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 73
Im now on my third Zodiac Futura (2007 Mk2 HD) and now running with a manual start and tilt Yamaha 50hp 2 stroke - The certainly doesnt hang around as its so light AND is very stable for off-loading and pickup up skiers and fishing, diving etc.

I can recommend the futura as a lightweight all rounder but if youre after hyper-speed you wont beat a basic tiller controlled SLT!

Cheers

Gareth
__________________
ZodiacFuturaMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 18:15   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
sorry hadn't seen the other post , been away for the last week or so .
Looks a very solid built boat .
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 18:30   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacFuturaMk2 View Post
Im now on my third Zodiac Futura (2007 Mk2 HD) and now running with a manual start and tilt Yamaha 50hp 2 stroke - The certainly doesnt hang around as its so light AND is very stable for off-loading and pickup up skiers and fishing, diving etc.

I can recommend the futura as a lightweight all rounder but if youre after hyper-speed you wont beat a basic tiller controlled SLT!

Cheers

Gareth

I used to really enjoy the tiller controll on the SIb I had . so much more feel and controll than a steering wheel and throttle lever which is what Iam growing to dislike with the rib .
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 18:35   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I used to really enjoy the tiller controll on the SIb I had . so much more feel and controll than a steering wheel and throttle lever which is what Iam growing to dislike with the rib .
Yeah but can you imagine how much hard work that stretch from Looe to Fowey would have been in a sib after we'd been to Eddystone?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2007, 20:14   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yeah but can you imagine how much hard work that stretch from Looe to Fowey would have been in a sib after we'd been to Eddystone?

I did some longer trips in the SIb , the problem was not the driving controlls or position it was the way it beat me up in a chop . Air floors are evil in the sort of sea we had back to Fowey .
Chucking it about in surf or in the wake of a bigger boat was lots of fun with a tiller .
Thats the big question , how comfy is a surfcat or similar cruising in a choppy sea . Iam told they give a ride equal to small rib like mine .
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.