Town: Fleet
Boat name: -
Make: Narwhal
Length: under 3m
Engine: Petrol Outboard 4HP
UK Sea Laws

Hello!

I'm in a lot of confusion at the moment and not even google can help

I have recently purchased a 2.6m SIB. I would like to know what the laws and regulations are for using it on the sea. I'm not talking about going anywhere, in particular, just pottering about close to shore.

I see some websites saying that every boat has to carry certain equipment, eg a radar reflector and a VHF radio but I would think that a boat so small would be exempt somehow. Obviously, I will have life jackets and first aid equipment with me.

If anyone could shed some light on the legal requirements then I would be very grateful indeed!

Also, looking a long way down the line, what size SIB would be the smallest possible to cross to the Isle of Wight safely? I'd love to do this in the future!

Thanks!
Jared
Old 28 August 2017, 15:02   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
For that boat, all you have to do is (in theory) follow the international rules of the sea COLREGS mainly. You don't need any safety equipment, licenses, insurance, etc. Just launch off the beach & go. You might be required to to produce insurance if you use certain council or private launch facilities.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 15:11   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Hello!

I'm in a lot of confusion at the moment and not even google can help

I have recently purchased a 2.6m SIB. I would like to know what the laws and regulations are for using it on the sea. I'm not talking about going anywhere, in particular, just pottering about close to shore.
OK there are no* UK laws on taking a private pleasure vessel (<13.something m long) on the sea. There may be local bylaws or restrictions on launching in certain places/harbours etc.

* Vessels used at night must display appropriate lights in accordance with the ColRegs (and must obey the ColRegs at all times)
* Actually there is potentially a requirement as you have found to carry a radar reflector if practical given the size of your boat, and the effectiveness of radar reflectors being related to height, I don't think anyone would expect you to carry one in daylight/good vis. The same SOLAS regs also expect you to "make a passage plan" but there is no need to write it down - its just to think where you are going!

Quote:
I see some websites saying that every boat has to carry certain equipment, eg a radar reflector and a VHF radio but I would think that a boat so small would be exempt somehow. Obviously, I will have life jackets and first aid equipment with me.
you don't have to carry a radio either (for most places, but some harbour authorities could expect - although probably not on such a small boat). That said, VHF radio is still considered the most effective method of calling for help if needed and can be had for <£100.

If you have not, then I would recommend looking at an RYA course (e.g. Powerboat Level 2) which should provide you the knowledge and experience to avoid many problems and also answer some of these newbie questions.

Quote:
Also, looking a long way down the line, what size SIB would be the smallest possible to cross to the Isle of Wight safely? I'd love to do this in the future!
This depends on many factors:
- How many people
- What weather
- What size engine
- How experienced is the helm
- Are you flexible enough to get the ferry home if the weather turns
- Will you be the only boat or part of a group

Certainly the "big" SIBs (c. 3.8m/20HP) will be OK doing that in "pleasant" conditions. In perfect conditions I am sure people will have done it in sub 3m boats - but you will know when you and the boat are ready for the trip. If you have to ask...
Old 28 August 2017, 15:14   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I would say you don't need anything at all! Not even life-jackets and first aid kit-by law!!!
But that's not the most sensible route to take though, is it?
There would be no difference between you and an (ignorant/innocent) holidaymaker.
I would add that it would be MORE sensible to take a life-jacket (per person) that works(!), and some means of communication with the shore.
This should do you if you are going no more than say 100 yards from the shore and in plain view.
However, as you are clearly planning on going further afield......why not seek out a the assistance of a more experienced boater and get yourself on a few courses.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 16:41   #5

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
No special laws to worry about. You can buy a small powered boat and use it on the sea in any weather, with no training or experience, no insurance, no safety equipment, and at any age.

However, the international rules (highway code of the sea) apply in that power gives way to sail, pass port side to port side, display the correct lights, pay due regard to channels and buoyage, etc. all apply. You wouldn't be prosecuted solely for failing to comply, but if you had an accident, failure to comply would be held against you.

Many public slipways and most/all harbours will insist on seeing proof of insurance before allowing you to launch. These are local rules rather than UK law.

But common sense says gain some understanding of the rules and how to operate the boat, even if you're not going far. In fact, the most dangerous area in some ways is close inshore: you get rocks, surf, rip currents, and shoals, and you get swimmers, surfers, kayaks, and general boat traffic.

Anyone can drive a boat on flat clear water. Things happen slowly and predictably. Then the conditions change, or other vessels come nearby and things can happen very quickly indeed.

I did a BSAC Diver Cox course a few years ago - equivalent to an RYA 1 or 2. It was fun and money well spent.

Have fun, but do so knowledgeably.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rules-Road-...llision+at+sea
Old 28 August 2017, 17:17   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Well I will own up to 40 od years back buying a 12 foot sib & 3 hp Gemini engine and that was it off I went no budget left for anything else a fool yes now and from that day I got caught in a sea fret off Whitby not knowing which way was land I carry the works. I got back ok miles from my launch point but it did learn me a very big lesson it ok whilst your close in or the engine doesn't breakdown after hat it's a different ball game. Have a look on here for SIB kit list it's all a must IMO
Old 28 August 2017, 18:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone addressed this question in any detail.

It is the wrong question.

What is the biggest SIB you can afford, store and transport? Then, where is it safe to go on it?

The Solent has complex tides and can be very rough indeed. I was crewing a 29 foot yacht there once and we were at maximum angle of heel for some of the time, with flying spray and it was cold, bleak and hairy. A strong wind against the direction of the tide can create short steep waves. With complicated tides and an island to funnel the wind, it is not just an expanse of water to cross on a whim.

I once did 24 miles in a day in a 3.4 metre SIB with only a 3 hp engine - but that was in the sheltered waters of the Scottish sea lochs. I also nearly came to grief in a similar boat with a 15 hp engine a couple of hundred metres out from the harbour at Fort Bovisand.

Please,read, watch You Tube videos, learn, get some training, make a sensible choice, and then enjoy your boating.

You can have great fun on rivers and canals in a small SIB. Yesterday, my wife, son and I were anchored in a side stream and swimming and snorkelling from the SIB. Cut your coat according to your cloth.
Old 28 August 2017, 19:53   #8

RIBase
I think the question that was asked was answered. If the wrong question was asked that's a different matter. I believe Doris Stokes left the forum some years ago & Derren Brown has yet to join. In the meantime I think we've done our best[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 28 August 2017, 20:02   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I believe Doris Stokes left the forum some years ago & Derren Brown has yet to join...
It says Medium on my pants and I see trouble ahead - do I qualify?
Old 28 August 2017, 20:40   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It says Medium on my pants and I see trouble ahead - do I qualify?

Feel free to answer the question that hasn't been asked[emoji848] after that, could you PM me next weeks euro millions numbers please?
Old 28 August 2017, 20:46   #11

Quote:
I think the question that was asked was answered. If the wrong question was asked that's a different matter. I believe Doris Stokes left the forum some years ago & Derren Brown has yet to join. In the meantime I think we've done our best[emoji6]
I said, Unless I missed it..." I now see that I missed it.
Old 28 August 2017, 21:12   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
next weeks euro millions numbers
I'm gonna just walk quietly away from that. There was a time, long, long ago...
Old 28 August 2017, 23:04   #13

Town: Cork
Boat name: N/A
Make: Humber
Engine: Yamaha 80hp autolube
Please.... Don't be concerning yourself with "laws"......

If you've the ability to buy a nice little boat and engine and own a motor car of some sort to tow it with and not spend day and night with the curtains closed drinking cans of Stella & watching Jeremy Kyle other than on dole day, you've probably got a bit of sense....... Use it wisely regarding boating and VERY small craft on open seas! Multiply that use of your common sense by a factor of 5 or 10 if you plan to bring children aboard!

If your lower stomach and balls start tingling with nerves at any point.... it's probably time to quickly head back to land and save up and buy a bigger craft.

Good Luck - it's a great hobby when wisely approached!
Old 29 August 2017, 11:34   #14

Town: Fleet
Boat name: -
Make: Narwhal
Length: under 3m
Engine: Petrol Outboard 4HP
WOW! I wasn't expecting so many responses (I'm new to this forum). Thank you, everyone, for the helpful advice!

Funny- the mention of Derren Brown, as I am a professional magician & mind reader myself!

The Isle of Wight part was more for future reference, I have no intention of going across anytime soon .

The boat is insured, not worth the risk for the small insurance fee! I've also now purchased an anchor and am looking into the VHF.

I'm going to start by using it on a local canal, now I have the license, to get used to how it all works!

Once again, I appreciate all the responses, thank you!
Old 29 August 2017, 12:29   #15

Have fun. You can go places in a small SIB that you can't go in any other way except perhaps a canoe/kayak - and you can carry more kit and don't have to paddle. Look for side streams and backwaters, sneak up below weirs, pootle close to the willows and see the birdlife... It's great hobby.