Click Here to Login

Old 14 June 2017, 23:31   #1

Town: Penascola, FL
Boat name: Sandpiper
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: None
Trying to choose between a large SIB and a small RIB

Hello everyone. I had posted here a while ago when I obtained an Avon SIB. Unfortunately, I found out there isn't a way for me to get a title for the boat so I can't put a motor on it without risking being cited.

That being said, I'm looking for something else to use. I plan to use it to ride in freshwater and the bay in the Pensacola area (no farther than Fort Pickens or Fort McRae).I know that RIBs typically are more comfortable in choppy water, but I'm looking to get the most capable boat out of the two I'm looking at.

First one:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...07?recordNum=3

Second one:

Saturn inflatable heavy-duty boats for diving & rescue.

The first one is a RIB that is 11'5" long and has a max HP rating of 25 HP. MSRP is $2,319.

The second one is a SIB that is 15' long and has a max HP rating of 40. MSRP is $1,299.

I would probably be trailering the boat no matter which one I get. My primary concern is capability (basically, I want to choose the safest boat).

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 14 June 2017, 23:43   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
A rib will in 9 out of 10 cases out perform a sib by a fair margin.
no contest really if your going to trailer and never deflate it buy a rib
Old 14 June 2017, 23:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
A rib will in 9 out of 10 cases out perform a sib by a fair margin.
no contest really if your going to trailer and never deflate it buy a rib
Thanks for chiming in. So you are saying that the larger size of the SIB doesn't really matter in this case and that the RIB will be safer than the SIB (I'm willing to deflate the SIB and carry it in my truck bed if I have to)?
Old 14 June 2017, 23:53   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Even though the rib is smaller the extra rigidity and better hull shape should make it handle better in the rough although an extra 4.5 ft will help larger sibs tend to be a bit floppy and some of the extra hp the sib is rated for will be soaked up by the extra drag of the sibs less efficient hull
My choice would be the rib
Is it possible to get a demo of each boat before you commit? That would be a big help in the decision making process
Old 15 June 2017, 00:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Even though the rib is smaller the extra rigidity and better hull shape should make it handle better in the rough although an extra 4.5 ft will help larger sibs tend to be a bit floppy and some of the extra hp the sib is rated for will be soaked up by the extra drag of the sibs less efficient hull
My choice would be the rib
Is it possible to get a demo of each boat before you commit? That would be a big help in the decision making process
Thanks for the help. I was just looking online at different boats. I think right now I'm leaning towards the RIB. Thanks for the help!
Old 15 June 2017, 05:26   #6

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Those two boats are substantially different in size and performance. It's like asking, should I buy a motorbike or a truck?

There are many considerations such as how many people you will have on board, how far you plan to go, what conditions you will be out in.

As a general rule, a RIB is always a better performer, but a SIB is often more versatile.
Old 15 June 2017, 07:06   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Really depends on so many factors.

But no SIB comes close to the seakeeping/capability/comfort of even the smallest (deep V) RIB. Best in SIB-land in rougher water is the Aerotec by far (or an Avon Y Class) but it is so light it cannot compete to say a SR4.

If I had the space to store it, liked using a trailer, had easy launching to a variety of places with easy to use slips then it's a small RIB (4-5m) every time.

However, for many of us here in the UK despite being a small island and even for us personally living five miles from the sea this is simply not the case and a SIB makes up for it's poorer performance with it's ease of use in so many ways.
Old 15 June 2017, 07:12   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
personally i would go for the bigger boat and spend the $ on a bigger engine a 40 hp would push that boat as fast as the 25hp on the rib, if you're trailering weight of the big boat will be of no concern. more room in the big boat, 1 inch larger tube diameter, heavy duty fabric, ride wise the rib will still slam being very shallow hulled yes marginally smoother but the extra length of the big boat will go some way to compensating that.fuel consumption wise the 25hp will win easy.
i have just gone back to sibing having done it for years diving we always sat on the tubes but i have found in the rough sat on the floor with good foam cushions and one on the tube to rest against is very comfortable in the rough.
what ever you choose enjoy.
Old 15 June 2017, 07:35   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
We're all slightly biasing our answers around our own experiences relating to a central issue... it's how and where I/we/you want to use the boat.

One crucial first question when folks ask as you have... are you happy trailering and it seems you are so no advantage to either on that score. For comparison we wish our boat to pack in the car for every trip so (currently) would never choose a RIB.

Next do you need the significant extra space of the 15ft Saturn... over an 11.5ft that is a big difference for people or kit.

What sort of water do you use it on... if flat lake then the small advantage of the RIB in punching through he rough may not be any advantage to you. I say small advantage as it's likely that the Westmarine RIB has what we'd think of as a fairly shallow V for a RIB.

In terms of general handling such as getting onto the plane over the transition... grip in turns and a clean wake the RIB will be better.

The RIB with its fairly shallow V and clean GRP hull will also have a better performance for any given outboard size and that might be important to you.

Would you intend to power each to the maximum OB size?

Be interesting to know what you choose.

Edit: Found this YouTube of the Westmarine RIB... does seem to be nice and chunky for its length... and go really nicely.

Old 16 June 2017, 04:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
We're all slightly biasing our answers around our own experiences relating to a central issue... it's how and where I/we/you want to use the boat.

One crucial first question when folks ask as you have... are you happy trailering and it seems you are so no advantage to either on that score. For comparison we wish our boat to pack in the car for every trip so (currently) would never choose a RIB.

Next do you need the significant extra space of the 15ft Saturn... over an 11.5ft that is a big difference for people or kit.

What sort of water do you use it on... if flat lake then the small advantage of the RIB in punching through he rough may not be any advantage to you. I say small advantage as it's likely that the Westmarine RIB has what we'd think of as a fairly shallow V for a RIB.

In terms of general handling such as getting onto the plane over the transition... grip in turns and a clean wake the RIB will be better.

The RIB with its fairly shallow V and clean GRP hull will also have a better performance for any given outboard size and that might be important to you.

Would you intend to power each to the maximum OB size?

Be interesting to know what you choose.

Edit: Found this YouTube of the Westmarine RIB... does seem to be nice and chunky for its length... and go really nicely.

I'll answer your questions in case this would change anything anyone has said so far.

I am willing to trailer both. The way I see it, it would be difficult for me to not trailer the SIB because if I got a 40 HP motor (and I would if I got the SIB), it would be difficult to carry that motor and put it on the SIB after inflating it by myself. If I could get away with not trailering the SIB even though I have a 40 HP motor, I would deflate it and store it somewhere. I already have a trailer that I think the RIB would fit on with a little bit of modification (it was originally a utility trailer).

I would sometimes take it to Lake Shelby in Gulf Shores, AL (water is generally calm but it can get pretty choppy (about 1 foot swells) when it's windy. I would also take it to Escambia River, through Pensacola Bay, and the Gulf of Mexico (I would not be going offshore because I won't be using the boat for fishing--When I go fishing I take my kayak or go with my Dad in his 14 ft Gruman or 16 ft Carolina Skiff. Both of his boats are excellent for fishing. My RIB/SIB would just be for joy riding and to get to the beach without bad traffic). The bay is usually 1-3 ft swells on a windy day. The Gulf can at times get up to 5 or 6 ft swells, perhaps more in severe weather. I don't think either of my choices would be acceptable for anything more than 3 ft swells. I expect to mostly go out on nice and calm days. I do want to be able to outrun any sudden storm that pops up. I think that either boat would be capable of that with their maximum HP engines though.

Right now I am leaning towards the RIB because I think it better fits my personal needs based on what has been said in this thread.
Old 16 June 2017, 06:26   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
So use of the trailer isn't a deciding factor... and you do not mention the need for space so I assume the length of the SIB is not needed... in the sea states you describe the overall performance (speed, handling in swell etc) will probably be not that far apart.

So for me it comes down to the differing engine sizes. If we assume the SIB will need a 40hp to push it as well as a 25hp will the RIB then if buying new that is perhaps another $1500 and a load more weight when it needs taking off for maintenance etc. Also the RIB on a 25hp will be more fuel efficient.

So unless I've missed anything it seems the RIB might be best. That's assuming two things... that there is no big difference in the quality of the boats... and that you don't fancy one more than the other.
Old 16 June 2017, 06:46   #12

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
You are asking this in the SIB section so may not get so much input from the RIB gang - remember though nearly all of us on here are from the UK and using boats at sea so we typically have the norm as F3 often F4 at least down here on the south coast. If you have the choice then a (proper deep V) RIB pees all over any SIB and having had both there is no contest in typical UK seas. Just make sure it's a proper deep V not a blue water style, again that is pretty much a given with most RIB users here as a shallow V is useless in UK seas. However, if flat (1ft is not choppy!) lakes are your main area then a SIB would work OK too.

Having said all that we can give all the opinions we like - you need a trial of 30 mins or more in each type in typical waters and that will quickly show you all you need to know.

If going RIB don't limit yourself to the 25 - stick a 40 on that too and use it's full potential.

[edit] just noted the RIB you linked is a 25 max but most importantly understand that is very much a leisure (flat water) RIB and not a deep V - if you want *proper* RIB capability be sure to look elsewhere or it will not work out much different from a SIB apart from giving more speed which is no good if it won't handle chop!
Old 16 June 2017, 06:57   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
All I would add is a 25 is a big lump to move too so if not trailering consider a sack barrow to move the engine as others do on here
Old 29 August 2018, 15:20   #14

Town: Minneapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidClarkian View Post
I'll answer your questions in case this would change anything anyone has said so far.

I am willing to trailer both. The way I see it, it would be difficult for me to not trailer the SIB because if I got a 40 HP motor (and I would if I got the SIB), it would be difficult to carry that motor and put it on the SIB after inflating it by myself. If I could get away with not trailering the SIB even though I have a 40 HP motor, I would deflate it and store it somewhere. I already have a trailer that I think the RIB would fit on with a little bit of modification (it was originally a utility trailer).

I would sometimes take it to Lake Shelby in Gulf Shores, AL (water is generally calm but it can get pretty choppy (about 1 foot swells) when it's windy. I would also take it to Escambia River, through Pensacola Bay, and the Gulf of Mexico (I would not be going offshore because I won't be using the boat for fishing--When I go fishing I take my kayak or go with my Dad in his 14 ft Gruman or 16 ft Carolina Skiff. Both of his boats are excellent for fishing. My RIB/SIB would just be for joy riding and to get to the beach without bad traffic). The bay is usually 1-3 ft swells on a windy day. The Gulf can at times get up to 5 or 6 ft swells, perhaps more in severe weather. I don't think either of my choices would be acceptable for anything more than 3 ft swells. I expect to mostly go out on nice and calm days. I do want to be able to outrun any sudden storm that pops up. I think that either boat would be capable of that with their maximum HP engines though.

Right now I am leaning towards the RIB because I think it better fits my personal needs based on what has been said in this thread.

I would get a 15ft RIB with a 25HP motor. It would cost about the same and would be the best performing combo at that cost range.

Tags
rib, sib